• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Supplemental income ideas

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Just seeing if anyone has any good ideas on this one. We are pregnant and have found out that our son will have a sever disability. We are getting closer to due date and logistically it’s looking like my wife will have to quit her job to stay home with him. So in the past few months I have been trying to re-balance our budget since our income has been cut by 30% and our expenses have increase by 20% the only option left to keep us in our current home without having to sell and buy something cheaper would be for me to pick up some extra income a month. I really don’t need much, it’s more of a cushion than anything, maybe $500 a month. I’m not scared to work hard but I also don’t want to be working 24/7 because after all I do have a family and I need time with them.
I’m an engineer by day but a jack of all trades by evening/weekend….so I think using my handyman skills might be my best bet. I have worked construction in the past, have helped my brother build his home, have finished my own basement, built decks, pergolas, gazebos, ect, ect. I thought about putting an ad on craigslist to work for an hourly rate helping with anyone’s project that might need help but those jobs typically only keep you busy in the summer. I’m really drawing for straws at this point, anyone know of any good opportunities for someone like me?

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I would talk about this with the company that you work for.

Would a 50% pay cut for extra hours worked above 45 or so still be above what you would make doing side construction business?

Fire

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2010
One option is to look at the many jobs in western North Dakota oil boom. It is tough finding a place to live though. Really good incomes right now.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Just seeing if anyone has any good ideas on this one. We are pregnant and have found out that our son will have a sever disability. We are getting closer to due date and logistically it’s looking like my wife will have to quit her job to stay home with him. So in the past few months I have been trying to re-balance our budget since our income has been cut by 30% and our expenses have increase by 20% the only option left to keep us in our current home without having to sell and buy something cheaper would be for me to pick up some extra income a month. I really don’t need much, it’s more of a cushion than anything, maybe $500 a month. I’m not scared to work hard but I also don’t want to be working 24/7 because after all I do have a family and I need time with them.
I’m an engineer by day but a jack of all trades by evening/weekend….so I think using my handyman skills might be my best bet. I have worked construction in the past, have helped my brother build his home, have finished my own basement, built decks, pergolas, gazebos, ect, ect. I thought about putting an ad on craigslist to work for an hourly rate helping with anyone’s project that might need help but those jobs typically only keep you busy in the summer. I’m really drawing for straws at this point, anyone know of any good opportunities for someone like me?

Ahh sioux falls. Are you looking for something like a later shift?

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
what is your health insurance situation? If all family members are covered through your wifes employer plan and if ongoing medical services are likely and if your employer does NOT offer an employer health plan then make sure you and your family are clear on the implications of your wife leaving her employment.

Hope all works out. The child will be the light of your life and I'm sure will inspire you to do great things as a Father.

On a side note I would: 1. sell all toys, 2. eliminate all debt possible, 3. eat crow for a while, 4. blow off vacations, 5. take a close look at TV and cell phone bills.

One last idea, if the supplemental income thing doent turn up anythign positive you may want to consider pursuing a graduate degree. The guys I've seen that have undergraduate Engineering degrees and then follow it up with the MBA are in the cat birds seat. In the long run it may be a better investment of your time.

Dont know what you have for a name picked out but if you pick up one of those name books check out what Matthew means.

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
if your wife is going to be at home maybe she can as well look after a couple young children during the day for another working couple for a suitable fee ..??...

as well Kudo;s for meeting this challange...God speed with His Grace and rewards..

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Just curious, what field of engineering? Depending on your engineering degree there may be side work available for a pedigreed engineer.

Congrats on the upcoming bundle of Joy! Embrace both the challenges Parenthood brings as well as the rewards it has to offer, the education and experiences that you all will receive will be Priceless!

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
In home daycare

it takes a while to get enough kids, but my wife does it in MT. u can have 6 kids per adult supervision, it is pretty lucrative

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
I know where you're coming from, my wife and I are expecting our 3rd child (another boy!). My middle son is 3 years old, but mental development wise he is at about a 1-yr old level. My employer's health insurance is a high-deductable health plan (HDHP) with a Health Savings Account. My family deductable is $7,000 every year (it rolls over and starts at $0 every January 1st). I pay close to $400 a month in premiums to have this insurance (employer pays close to $600 for the rest.) Of course due to the economy, I have not had a raise in the last 4 years either (BUT I AM WORKING!) She is a stay-at-home-Mom, underpaid, under appreciated and still full of love for our family.

Between tonsil surgeries on both boys, a ignual hernia surgery at 1-1/2 years old for my middle son, his therapy, medications, etc and my wife and I's own medical conditions I have continually met this deductable the last 4 years as well as paying out of my own pocket for things the insurance doesn't cover before or after we've met the deductable.

I have pre-exististing medical conditions so for me to leave my job and try to find work somewhere else (I've been at this job for almost 13 years total) the only way it would work is if the insurance premiums and deductable were much less than what I pay now so I could afford to take a pay cut in order to still have good insurance. So I stay where I am and tough it out as I can.

Remember that some government-sponsered health insurance for children does not always cover certain procedures that special needs children require, so if you or your wife have good insurance that does well for the childs needs you are better off staying where you or your wife are working. I personally would not reccomend an oilfield job right now in your situation. While the money is great, the living in a "mancamp" with all the temptations money brings and the long stretches away from home can be hard on a marriage, especially whith a newborn in the picture, regardless of any known special needs. These are special days that you can't get back if you are not there for them. Your wife is going to need all the help she can to deal with a special-needs child.

As stated before, trim everywhere you can, LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS, love the joys and tears that being a parent brings, keep strong in spirit, explore every avenue of help (both financially and family support) that you can, and continue to build on the love that you and your wife will bring to this gift God has given you, because that is what ALL children are, a gift. God Bless!

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Thank you everyone for the ideas and support. This will be a temporary situation so I am only looking for a temporary solution, and I am also playing out the worst case scenario so it may never come down to this. This is our 3rd child; our son may live 2 minutes he may live 2 years, although giving the battle that lies ahead of him, the time that we can spend with him physically will most likely be only a number of months. When I used the word logistically, it should have been emotionally. My wife is a RN currently pursuing her Doctorates , being a nurse she can’t stand to have anyone else take care of our son but herself, so when he is born she will be going on FMLA. Because of his sever conditions we have chosen to not medically intervene, and to let God take him when it’s his time. Our expenses will really come from some of the home health care needs to keep him comfortable when his time is near (we have a high deduct HSA), expenses associated with his passing (life insurance doesn’t kick in until 2 years old), my wife’s school loans that were in deferment (she will be taking a few semesters off), and the cost of paying for this last semesters classes up front since she withdrew from classes. We are completely debt free with the exception of my wife’s student loans and our mortgage; I have already sold all assets that make sense to sell. Reading my original post it prob didn’t portray what I’m really looking for….really I’m just looking for some creative ways to make some extra money in the next few months so when I get hit with all these expense while trying to pay my bills I have today on 60% of my original income, I can do so without getting any additional debt.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
FMLA (COBRA too) does not apply to all employers so confirm with employer/insurance carrier these either do or do not apply in your situation.

i recommend spending some time doing some homework on FMLA and COBRA before contacting the employer to discuss these issues. Finally, you may find it worth your time to confirm with the insurance carrier everything your employer has told you.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO

Just thinking outloud but doesn't your wife get maternity leave? Also, don't you get a certain amount of leave for the birth of your child? I was thinking perhaps between the two of you that there might be enough that your wife wouldn't have to leave her job.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
First off, I hope everything goes as well as it possibly can for you and your family, given the challenge at hand. Heart breaking because nothing means more to a man than his kids.
Definately look at the handy man stuff. Even better if you can find one of those "Over 50" subdivisions. Run some flyers through there. You're bound to get some work out of those people. My inlaws live in one of those subs and my fil turns down work left and right from all the old folks that aren't capable of even smaller tasks around the house.
I've made alot of money in the past doing side const work. D@mn near paid for college that way and later on it was spending money for my wife and I.
The other thing to look at, provided you're mechanically inclined. Guessing you are, engr and snowmobiler. Look on Craigslist or elsewhere for cars that need work. I've supplemented my income more than once buying/fixing/selling a few cars.
Good luck man!

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
im not sure of your situation, but i deal with alot of people and their financial situations and more often than not it is much easier and efficient to cut expenses rather than pick up additional income. both would be best, but i cant count he number of times people complain about not being able to make a loan payment, but they are paying $150 a month on TV, $100 on a cellphone, $75 on interenet, they eat out 4 times a week, go to movies, ect.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i have been selling my body for extra income....but im getting real fat because of the 20 percent restocking charge when the customers do returns

G
Nov 28, 2008
MN
not sure how big of town you live in, but you could pick up a side job at restaurant waiting tables a couple nights a week for a few hours. They are always looking for reliable people, and are pretty flexible on days worked. Its not hard to make a couple hundred bucks a week waiting tables at place that is consistently busy.

mold

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2009
Lead, SD & Idaho Falls, ID
A local guy combined an old scam (snake oil salesman) with a modern scam (pyramid scheme) and recently grossed a billion in sales.

Premium Features