• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pushing technology in snowmobiles. SAE challenge

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
From the main page:

https://www.snowest.com/2019/03/22-teams-ready-to-run

I'm excited to see what comes out of the SAE challenge this year. Hopefully more progress in noise abatement and electric motors. Always excited to see what Michigan Tech has to offer.

"The SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge is more than just a competition," said Dave Lomasney, president of MacLean-Fogg Component Solutions. "It’s an event where college students come together to learn, collaborate, be creative and have the chance to discover new ideas and innovations. It’s a true test of their engineering knowledge and ability to think outside the box to improve the way things are being done today."

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
One of my Michigan Tech friends is helping with the emissions testing this week. If I lived closer, I'd probably be up there helping too. It's at least a good excuse to get back to the Copper Country, which was my first "home" after moving out of my parents' place. :)

I don't know how often the "technology" that comes out of the Clean Snowmobile Challenge gets used by the mfg's, but the amount of knowledge gained by student engineers who hopefully end up in the industry is likely huge.

I am constantly impressed by how quiet modern snowmobiles have become, and how much power they make with those "restrictive" exhaust systems. And with direct injection, how clean a two stroke can actually be. I was convinced for a while that we'd begin to see two stroke automobiles as direct injection became more prevalent, but I'm still waiting...

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Read the article, but I didn't see any mention of the Drinking Challenge or that trophy?

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
There was never a trophy. They ruled that "professionals" weren't allowed to compete in the running for top drinking schools...

In other news, KRC is putting highlight vids on their site.

http://www.mtukrc.org/snowmobile.htm

In Tuesday's vid, Jay thanks all the teams for participating, from NY to Idaho, and even from "way down south in Indiana" :)

And one poor guy on an assault that can't get it to start because the kill switch is mashed... So embarrasing... :)

Premium Features