• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

gooseneck electric jack conversion

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Has anyone converted their manual jacks on a gooseneck trailer to electric? I have been thinking about using a 12v tarp motor from a semi trailer or dump truck to fab an electric drive for my jacks. I was wondering what rpm and hp drive a person would want to use? any thoughts??

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I’m going to try the Bulldog kit on mine. I’ll let you know how it goes

https://www.towuniverse.com/bulldog...r472UcAwxGvE5fH0-rrSfE-SYc4IM3IBoCWJwQAvD_BwE
I have a bulldog jack similar to this one. Not sure on the part number though but it is painfully slow. I have it on a bumper pull trailer that I use on a daily basis and I will never have one again. Probably will work ok a trailer that isn't used every day. Just don't expect it to be fast. I can hand crank twice as fast.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
For gooseneck I’d do hydraulic with 12v self contained pump. Pump and reservoir are roughly the size of a large battery. Very simple.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
For gooseneck I’d do hydraulic with 12v self contained pump. Pump and reservoir are roughly the size of a large battery. Very simple.

Thanks, That would get costly as I would have to replace my existing jacks. I thought about it when I built the trailer but ultimately chose to save $$ in that area.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
I have a bulldog jack similar to this one. Not sure on the part number though but it is painfully slow. I have it on a bumper pull trailer that I use on a daily basis and I will never have one again. Probably will work ok a trailer that isn't used every day. Just don't expect it to be fast. I can hand crank twice as fast.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I would be interested to know the cranking rpm of it. This is my concern as well, I want it fast, but need to make sure it is powerful enough to crank it at whatever speed it is geared down to. I was thinking 40 or 60 rpm

Premium Features