• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018/2019 Alpine, WY Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 18, 2019 Alpine Wyoming Snow Report

January 18, 2019 Alpine, WY Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
This last storm was pretty good to us. Typical of the pacific storms from last few years. Started as snow in the Valley, put down 4 or 5 inches and them a rain snow mix, then back to snow for a few hours. Left us 4-5" of wet heavy in the valley and gave the mountains a good hit. The front range (Salt River Range) seemed to do the best. Both Willow Creek (near Bedford) and Spring Creek (Afton) are showing a solid 14" of new snow on the stick which is fairly conservative guess. This snow had substantially more moisture than the last storms, so I am sure you have to account for a fair bit of settling. Both of those site are now over 50". Blind Bull on the Wyoming range looks like 6-8". Both of our ski resorts are reporting 14" in the last 48 hours. As compared to the last couple years the low and mid elevations are looking awesome right now. If it were me I would be boondocking the Idaho Side to the west of Alpine. I'm sure the big stuff is unstable. Keep it in the trees and not to steep. Plenty of fun to be had. Last I checked the BTNF avalanche report was not active due to the gov shutdown.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 26, 2019 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Report

January 26, 2019 Alpine, Wyoming Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
The riding is awesome right now at all elevations. I rode with a group yesterday to the west of the Rockin' M. We boondocked north along Black Mountain about eight miles and then ventured up the ridge overlooking palisades towards Poker Peak. We only used the groomed trail to get back at the end of the day. The snow has finally based up enough to create a good cushion to the ground. Snow seems to be between about 3-5 feet deep in the 5800-7000 foot range. The snow at the top of Poker Peak could not have been better. Everyone in the group of 10 thought it was one of the best snow days they had ridden in a long time. All reports from cabin guest this week have been great. One group rode the Strawberry and Willow area a couple of times last week and also said it was excellent with what appeared to be about two feet of new snow on top of a good base. Locally we received another foot of new snow here in the Valley in the last week. The time to ride is now. Temps are supposed to stay below freezing the next week with a few small chances of snow. We still have cabins available!! 307-654-2288.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
A few videos from January 25, 2019

I have posted a few videos from our ride yesterday on Black Mountain west from the Rockin' M Ranch. Many people ask how close we are to the National forest and if you can ride from the cabins. The answer is yes. We have a private access through private property to the Targhee national forest for guests of the cabins. This first video shows leaving the cabins to where the riding starts.https://youtu.be/Sf-8hOoby2A. The next clip is a good example of the type of riding on Black Mountain. Many treed ridges and tight canyons with several open meadows, great boondocking with lower avalanche risk. https://youtu.be/2cobO0MEACY. The next clip is working our way up one of the tight canyons to some higher elevation powder.https://youtu.be/6UOSAISB7vc. Great riding at all elevations right now!!

S
Jan 28, 2019
Flying in from Sothern California

Good day, we fly in this Sunday for 3 days of riding. I saw it was warm over the weekend with some snow falling now. How do you feel the greys river area is going to rebound? Should we push the trip back if possible?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 6th, 2019

February 6th, 2019
Sorry for the slow reply, I've been plowing for the last two days. This last storm lasted about 5 days. The first two days were a rain snow mix in the valley and changed to snow in the valley half way through. On the fourth day we picked up about six inches in the valley and another 8-12" yesterday. The snow had a very high moisture content, not slush, but heavy. The Bridger avalanche center is reporting areas in star valley receiving about 22". Snow totals raise quickly with elevation. Twenty plus inches in the mountains over the last few days is probably conservative. Jackson hole resort is reporting 30" new and a storm total for the week of 46". I have not seen this much low to mid elevation snow in several years. With cool temps in the forecast, it will be one of the best weeks of the winter for riding!

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 11, 2019

February 11, 2019 Alpine, WY Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
Since the last 20" inch dump last week it has continued to stay cool and snow a little every day. The last 24 hours put down about 6" here in the valley. Jackson hole resort is reporting in the last 24 hours 12" new and Targhee 8". Our local snotels reflect about the same. Our snowpack up high is about 95%-100% of the 30 year average, although the valley has more snow than I have seen in several years. The riding is great at all elevations. Snow in the forecast for the next four days!!

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 18, 2019 Alpine WY Snow Report

February 18, 2019 Alpine, WY Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
We came to the end of another 5 day storm starting on Wednesday. We had another 6-8" here at the cabins on Thursday. Friday turned warm and rained on the valley snow pack, then back to snow by Saturday with another 4-6 inches by Sunday. The next storm is supposed to come in Wednesday. Jackson hole resort has already passed the all time February snowfall record (97") and we still have the other half of the month to go. The closest SNOTEL site to us, Willow Creek, added 4 inches of water to the snopack this week and went from 66" to 85". The Snake River region snowpack is now at 103%. Great snow and plenty of it at all elevations. Several feet of new snow with temperatures all over the place and high wind has made the high mountain snopack (7500+) unstable. Be careful on the big stuff or ride the lower less steep areas like the Idaho side, or McCain Meadows. Cool temps are in the forecast the next few days which should help. Here is todays avalanche report:

General Avalanche Advisory
The general avalanche hazard is considerable above an elevation of 7,500 feet and is moderate below that elevation. In steep avalanche prone terrain humans could trigger recently formed surface slabs and dangerous persistent slabs. Wind slabs formed during the most recent storm cycle are a hazard on steep wind-loaded avalanche prone slopes. Large to very large persistent slabs are most likely to be triggered on steep slopes that had a shallow snowpack with poor snow structure at the end of January. The consequences of triggering a large destructive avalanche are likely to be severe. A careful assessment of the snowpack and conservative terrain choices are essential for snowmobilers and skiers who recreate in avalanche terrain.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 21, 2019

Alpine Wyoming Snow Report
The past few days have been cold with flurries. About 3" has fallen in the Valley since my last report on the 18th. The snowpack has stabilized and is now "moderate". I posted todays general advisory below. I attached a picture below with a view from one of the Hot Tubs taken today. For those that have stayed with us in the past. This picture will give a pretty good idea of the snow this winter. Great time to be here to ride or sit in this tub with a beer!! More snow in the forecast for this weekend.

Humans who venture onto steep avalanche prone slopes could trigger slab avalanches. These slabs could release in wind loaded areas, involving snow from the recent storm cycle or they could fail on deeper weaknesses, involving faceted snow that formed during dry periods earlier in the season. Identify and avoid steep, wind loaded terrain features and evaluate the snowpack carefully to determine where old weaknesses still pose a threat.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 27, 2019 Alpine WY Snow Report

February 27, 2019 Alpine, WY Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch
We are in the fourth day of another wet storm. The first day we picked up another 6" in the valley. The last couple days have been a rain/snow mix not really accumulating much. In the meantime the mountains continue to get hammered. SNOTEL sites seem to be settling quickly as the heavier snow sits upon the dry snow from the last storm, therefore it is difficult to get an accurate read on the amount of new snow. Most sites now have between 70-80 inches on the stick. The snowpack went from 105% to 114% in the Snake River drainage this last week. Targhee ski resort is reporting 24" in the last 48 hours and Jackson hole resort 31".
The avalanche danger is high.

General Avalanche Advisory
An avalanche warning remains in effect. Conditions are still very dangerous. Up to 20 inches of snow with 2 inches of moisture has fallen in favored areas since Saturday. Temperatures will be warmer today and did not drop below freezing at the lowest elevations overnight. Very large avalanches could release naturally. Large human triggered avalanches are likely. Large, destructive avalanches could run full path though mature trees and well out into run out zones. Dangerous wet slides are possible in the river canyons and could impacts roadways. Roof slides are a serious concern. Travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended.

Premium Features