• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buying a used snowmobile in Montana

Sundance Kid

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2001
Black Hills
I'm looking at some used snowmobiles in Montana and wondering if they have official titles like cars and trucks or just the registration sticker than goes on the hood.
I live in South Dakota where they title snowmobiles just like cars and if your state issues them you better have it when you go in for the registration stickers.
But if the state doesn't issue titles, like Wyoming before 2010, you just fill out a form and provide a bill of sale and they generate the title no problem.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Don't leave Montana without the title, make sure it is signed and notarized in all the correct spots and absolutely no mistakes. Any little thing voids the title.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
What do you need a title for?

Because the state requires it for registration as mentioned in the OP

I do not know about Mt or WY but my first new sled with a title in Colorado was a '16 Polaris bought 11/15. The new sled I bought the year before 12/14 did not come with a title. Both bought at the dealer new.

I think the dmv in SoDak should be able to tell you what they need from either of those states. I know they are lazy and all but they are their rules...

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
In wy we just buy a sticker at the gas station, no need for a trip to the DMV. I guess we are lucky
I never titled my 16 sold it to a guy who didn't either. If your just using cash in hand and no fiNanCeInG It doesn't really matter. They got enough tax from me on the other end

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
In wy we just buy a sticker at the gas station, no need for a trip to the DMV. I guess we are lucky
I never titled my 16 sold it to a guy who didn't either. If your just using cash in hand and no fiNanCeInG It doesn't really matter. They got enough tax from me on the other end

That works until you sell to a person from a state that will require more than a bill of sale for the new owner to register it.
And if you think that it's "his problem", you'll change your tune after a call from his states attorney.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018

Yes, you are still lucky but dont expect that to last...

When I sold my 16 to a guy from WY we even had the title/sale notorized since my 16 from CO had a title, and his bank insisted on the extra hoops.

Pretty sure Maefesto has it overblown a bit but the point of the OP was to see which states were titling sleds because his state is and it can be an issue getting the new sled registered if you don't have the paperwork right. The guy is just trying to minimize the hassle when he buys...

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Yes, you are still lucky but dont expect that to last...

When I sold my 16 to a guy from WY we even had the title/sale notorized since my 16 from CO had a title, and his bank insisted on the extra hoops.

Pretty sure Maefesto has it overblown a bit but the point of the OP was to see which states were titling sleds because his state is and it can be an issue getting the new sled registered if you don't have the paperwork right. The guy is just trying to minimize the hassle when he buys...

My experience was that I bought from another SD resident & did not receive title.
After a few attempts & him blowing me off I simply visited with our local states attorney (free of charge) and he handled it from there. Easy peasy.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Snowmobiles and Atvs do not have titles they have MSO’s to start with. MSO is a certificate of origin. The State issues a State title. For States like Wy they have titles on Snowmobiles now and they do require them however they do not track very well. If you buy from a dealer you will have one and they will do the work, if it is used you do the work. If bought out of state and not new you will need a Vin check which you pay for. I know in a lot of States it is easier to have the State issue title or the MSO. It makes things easier. You can apply for a lost title and you pay a bunch of money for that in some states. The whole thing is a rip off deal by the State for money and just wastes your time. They nickel and dime you the whole way along with the dealer charging for someone to do paperwork. I do understand they need paid however not a 100 for title work. Wy use not have titles and you buy sell with out trouble. That wasn’t good enough and now we have to pay. The nice thing is trail stickers purchase at the gas stations and ride if you buy with cash from a resident you can skip and get away. Resale can be troublesome to out of Staters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Well there's the problem, banks. I just bury my pocket lint in the back yard

Banks, Insurance companies and overbearing government entities all conspire to make simple things much more difficult than they need to be. Keep in mind, they advance all of this based on it being what is best for you... Elect some more democrats and we will see if we are able to regulate ourselves out of existence...

Premium Features