• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

YETI SNOW MX ski evolution story.....

C3 PowerSports

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2010
Sicamous B.C
www.c3powersports.com
Hi Snow MX fans.

We appreciate all your emails and inquires this past few weeks!

It's been a bit overwhelming, but we are gearing up to get firing on 8 cylinders.

If we have missed you or your email, we apologize for that as we are just in the middle of setting up our new shop, we got a new phone number last week, switched our toll free number to our new number, installed a new phone system, and got our email addresses switched over to a new server.

Lots going on, and it is all good!

SO enough of that stuff....

We want to share you the story about the evolution of our new ski that we are extremely happy with!

But before you can see the final ski, you get to go on the YETI ski evolution journey with us.

FIRST SKI "THE DUD"

So we talked with a bunch of avid snow mx riders, they all wanted a ski that would not slide out on the corners, give the rider confidence on the trail, float on top of the powder, and we wanted to save weight too. After 30 years of ice racing/riding dirt bikes, I could appreciate that feeling of the front end being "planted" so that you can go FASTER. This seemed like a good challenge.... and away we went. We figured that the ski needs to have multiple cutting edges, so 5 of them seemed to make sense.

We CAD designed a ski, 3D printed it, looked at it for a while, and then machined a billet one from a solid chunk as a flat plank, (not a cheap thing to do) and then heated it, curved it up the nose, welded up a skag, mounted it, and rode it.

Needless to say it was called the "DUD" because it was. Kevin rode the bike about 2 feet and just about fell over a couple of times, this ski would not hold any edge at all, after a very short ride, he loaded it up, he never got to the powder on this ski, it was too dangerous to go that far...lol....we called it progress and went back to the drawing board.

This ski would push, we determined that there was not enough pressure per keel, and by adding a couple more we actually made the pressure per keel lower than a 3 keel ski. We also attempted to make the transition from keel to keel easier, removing the huge gap from the centre keel to the edges, by adding another step in between. Lots of brain power from a few guys went into this ski, though it failed, the learnings were very good.

This ski was then heated up and the edges curled down to a more aggressive angle, and ridden again. It was better and would bite a bit, but Kevin and the team had more idea's and a new CAD drawing was started.

We had started on a long journey!
We will go through all the ski's with you, the learnings, and then share the final result.

Attached are the picture of the first 3D printed model version of the ski, then the machined billet one.

IMG_5414.jpg IMG_5415.jpg IMG_5447.JPG IMG_5448.JPG IMG_5457.JPG E-EVOLUTION.jpg

C3 PowerSports

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2010
Sicamous B.C
www.c3powersports.com
2nd ski " Franken'ski"

We started with another version of the first ski, but with a wider nose. It did float better, but still did not cut and hold a line when turning. It also felt like it had too much friction.

We die grinded out the 2 and 4th rib and replaced them with carbon fibre sheet, pop riveted in. This helped the ski to slide more, but it still did not hold a line when turning.

Then we played around with the ski mount, and we placed carbon fibre sheets on the top of the ski to see how stiff we could make the mount surface and how it changed how the ski carved, and then we moved the mount forwards and backwards to see how that affected the handling too.The bottom of the ski was filled with carbon fibre where we ground out the keels.

After a couple of rides we determined that we needed the front edge of the ski to be able to carve up hill on a side hill slope.

The Franken'ski would slide out when you wanted to cut uphill while on a sidehill. We stopped and studied what was going on....when you started to cut up hill, the ski would start to go up hill, fill up with snow, and then slide out, there was nothing to hold the snow in place..

So we went back to the shop and added on the welded steel edges as you can see in the picture.

We now found that this ski would hold a line much better now, and would cut up hill and gave the rider control.

One "Franken'ski" many learnings, and it was back to the drawing board again......for the next version....

G-EVOLUTION.jpg IMG_5529.jpg IMG_5517.jpg 2M6A4502.jpg 2M6A4503.jpg 2M6A4505.jpg IMG_6779.jpg IMG_6778.jpg

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thats version 4 i believe LOL Cmon Jaimie your killing them LOL

C3 PowerSports

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2010
Sicamous B.C
www.c3powersports.com
OK,

Got caught up in the pile at work...sorry about that!....back to the journey!

3rd Ski

" The Great White North"

After a good 70 hours of CAD design, we came up with a CNC'd version of the Franken'ski.

We 3d printed it first...held it in our hand, thought about it, dreamed about it carving in the snow like no other ski has ever done...lol...then sent it over to the machine shop to program and cut it from another solid block of secret C3 plastic.

Now, the blades on the edge of the ski allowed the ski to hold the line on the trail, and it was really starting to cut up hill in all snow conditions and not slide out.

We only were not sure on how to mount the blade edges so they would be durable. And a few more thoughts started.

The ski was finally starting to take shape,

NEWDUCK, I had a snow hawk a few years back, but I have not looked lately on the newest designs, but thanks for the tip :)

This ski was working and feeling good, but we did not stop there :0
We had to push the development further!
For it to be BETTER, FASTER, HIGHER, we could not just stop until we went way overkill.

ON we go......

D-EVOLUTION.jpg 2M6A0482.jpg 2M6A0172.jpg IMG_5764.jpg

C3 PowerSports

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2010
Sicamous B.C
www.c3powersports.com
Couple of more pics of the " Great White North" Ski

One other enhancement we worked on with this design, was the exoskeleton design. We aimed at making the ski strong by design while allowing flex where we wanted it, while keeping it light vs. making it strong by sheer mass and thickness.

on we go

IMG_5647.JPG IMG_5648.JPG

M
Oct 26, 2008
A quick question about the exoskeleton design? It looks like it may hold a ton of snow, did you find this to be the case at all? Otherwise it looks awesome!

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
that one looks familiar... been there, tried that design.
IMG_20140618_200244.jpg

IMG_20140618_201545.jpg

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
bolted one on my kx today and its an impressive piece

some of the things i noticed and liked:

-the leading edge of the center steel runner is recessed into the ski. should make loading onto a sled deck much easier. maybe i can get rid of my winch and just ride up.

-the mount is billet and very nice. lots of meat at the connection.

-it feels pretty light. didn't weigh it tho.

-the scoop at the front should work nice. denser snow under the ski should mean it will not wash out as easy. maybe less up in your face too.

-very sculpted design on the bottom and the keels look deeper.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Not that i noticed but i heard a guy say they don't spray snow up like the Simmons. Also better float and gets up on the snow much nicer. Also u don't get that classic heavy Simmons feeling. This C3 ski will work much better in most situations.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Fixed it for ya

Not that i noticed but i heard a guy say they don't spray snow up like the Simmons. Also better float and gets up on the snow much nicer. Also u don't get that classic heavy T/S ski feeling. This C3 ski will work much better in most situations.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Mmmm. Ok. I ran Simmons on my Yamahas. They always made the sled feel heavy on the front end. Stock ski was always better imo. The bike feels the same. Although i did consider writing it like that in my last post ha ha.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I see what your saying , what I was thinking was the Gen II and Gen III are very flexible taking the chatter out of what the stiffer skis put threw the chassis .

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
test ride

Had the opportunity to ride the production ski recently. couple of things i noticed.
conditions were very icy on the road, with 2-10" of fresh on top of a melt/freeze crust.
1. trail manners were very good
2. straight line "Cruising" was confidence inspiring
3. any lean angle on the bike at all made the ski extremely darty and very hard to control,
4. did not want to hold a side hill in a straight line, the ski kept wanting to climb uphill, then DART down hill when corrected.

imho, still a ton of work to do to get to where the T/S ski is.

every person (4) preferred the T/S ski in that days conditions.

also tried the ski on different bikes to confirm thoughts, so it for sure wasnt just bike setup.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
My 02 cents
Ski in unreal in powder- floats and carves amazing
Drops and jumps do not result in certain ski purposing
The ability to carve up or down a slope in powder gives even more confidence on the bike
Hard pack trail-good control and response
Snow with crust- ski needs some more tweaking- I have done some shaving of the forward edge and some improvement

Totally appreciate C3 pushing the sport forward!!!

Side note installed the 129 track on my 14 st and it kicks *** in all conditions. feels like more power, wicks up quicker, jumps on top off snow quicker, rails on the trail, out climbs same bike, same tune (14 yz 450)like they are in different galaxies!!!

Bought the track and now less interested in motor mods- thanks C3!!!

Premium Features