• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

For those who are looking at buying a Garmin Rino 530 hcx...

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
yea...the legit retailers are where you go to get someone to show you how to work one after you buy it online

yah, because Wal-mart, Target and staples are "Legit?" Try to get the 9 buck an hour kid to show you how to run it. No thanks...

Ace

do any of you find the radio is a peice of crap? the gps and its features rock but the radio is not as good as the cheapest motorola out there? can't make half of what anyone says on them to point shut it off? get tired of the mubble jumble?

M
Nov 26, 2007
Newfoundland
I use them daily here at work and they are great. They are around $700 up here. The radios are crap. They are lucky to work a mile in the bush. When they tested them they mustve used a wide open parking lot to test the radio distance.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
That's usually what they do. Test in line-of-sight conditions and advertise that distance.

Antennas and tuning/matching makes a big difference in the range of the radios... a great radio with a crappy antenna can make for a really crappy radio. Unfortunately for the FRS radios you can't change or tune the antenna (has to be part of the radio) so you're stuck with what the manufacturer sticks on there.

But.... that's why I carry a good radio for radio communications and a GPS for knowing where I am.

Premium Features