• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to AVY packs

R
Apr 14, 2013
I only been riding for about two years, and mostly ride in Cooke City. Avalanches terrify me, so I think it is time to buy an AVY pack, what is the best way to go without breaking the bank. Cost isn't a huge issue but wondering what the difference is. I found I can get a BCA float 22 for under $500 (w/o canister) and looking for advice. Im not sure what a good size bag would be either. Im not a very big guy, 5'7" 185lbs so what would work best? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
If you're terrified now, wait until you or one of your buddies is in one, you'll have a whole new respect for the mountain. Imo any of the packs are good, although it's not a license to be careless or fearless, it only MAY help your situation, no garuantee. Best thing to do is take an avy class, talk to the instructor, maybe get a recommendation on what type, they all have pros and cons. Asking here will only get people telling you to buy what they have because it's the BEST! Good luck, ride safe. By the way I have ABS Vario cause, you know.:face-icon-small-win

Tride

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2010
Bozeman MT
ABS for me, too. The new Black Diamond fan bag seems like the future, but let's wait and see. Just know, if you get ripped through trees or rocks, it's not going to help (well, maybe a little). We had a local here skiing whos body and bag was shredded after 1000' of hard objects. No surprise. But really, it's your only proactive solution, other than not going on those slopes in the first place. How much is your life worth? BCA is like $600 now. No brainer.

Premium Features