• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'14 summit lowers

D

Doonbuggy12

Jul 25, 2011
Horseshoe bend,id
A friend and I both bought '14 summit x's. 2 weeks ago my buddy hit a rock with the bottom of his ski and it folded the rear lower leg and module st about 5 mph. Low snow I figured ok that's to be expected. Today I did the exact same thing but just barely hit something under the snow. And there was a ton of snow. I had no clue I bent anything until i got on the trail and my right ski was 3" back. I know you want the lower to be the weak link but if this is really common I'm going to get a different sled that's a little tougher because it shortened my day I drove 10 hours for. My question is. Did you see this a lot last year? Or was it just bad luck?

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
A friend and I both bought '14 summit x's. 2 weeks ago my buddy hit a rock with the bottom of his ski and it folded the rear lower leg and module st about 5 mph. Low snow I figured ok that's to be expected. Today I did the exact same thing but just barely hit something under the snow. And there was a ton of snow. I had no clue I bent anything until i got on the trail and my right ski was 3" back. I know you want the lower to be the weak link but if this is really common I'm going to get a different sled that's a little tougher because it shortened my day I drove 10 hours for. My question is. Did you see this a lot last year? Or was it just bad luck?
....my friend and i both did about the same thing last year..after being on m sleds for several years, i was shocked at the damage with so little of a hit...:mmph:

C

caldbeckchris

Aug 8, 2010
MT
Have a little over 100 miles on mine and have bounced off of a few thing pretty hard. Nothing bent so far, knock on wood. My xp has been a tank hoping for the same from the xm. Sorry for your losses guys

M
Jul 20, 2012
I busted my 2010 XP on a pretty hard rock hit a couple of years ago. My buddy took a hit on his 2009 on a stump hit - not that hard in my opinion. Anyway, it cooked my A Arm and S module. His did S module and something else along with tunnel. The dealer said the design is to blow your stuff in the front end so it doesn't trash your tunnel. My 99 600 Summit took a hit to the whatever they called the arm back then and bent it. I rode it that way for 2 more years. My point, they are lighter but you really pay for that luxury. Is it a purposeful design?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I think if you hit at just the right angle it doesn't take much to really cause some carnage, while other times you can hit pretty hard and not have any damage at all. I've gone over the bars a few times, roll the sled over expecting the worst and no damage...knock on wood. No skid plate or braces, it keeps me from taking unnecessary risks.

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
Bent 2 lower left side a arms, 2 months apart. Same bend on both a-arms to within a 1/16th.
One early season (my first day out after being nagged by the old lady that I needed to get the F out of the house) during a sidehill episode, also ended up with a smashed hood. No more nagging after that bill. Second one was off an uphill hip. Carbides also replaced with steel runners.

Grip and rip braces probably helped out at keeping the bending in that location.

Anyone have experience with the Race Werx bumper/bracing. Is that bracing the same as the grip/rip?

IMG_1747.jpg

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Bent 2 lower left side a arms, 2 months apart. Same bend on both a-arms to within a 1/16th.
One early season (my first day out after being nagged by the old lady that I needed to get the F out of the house) during a sidehill episode, also ended up with a smashed hood. No more nagging after that bill. Second one was off an uphill hip. Carbides also replaced with steel runners.

Grip and rip braces probably helped out at keeping the bending in that location.

Anyone have experience with the Race Werx bumper/bracing. Is that bracing the same as the grip/rip?

I would say it's like the fett bros brace, but all one piece rather than 2.

Premium Features