• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Sea Level Calibration" on the XM....

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I stopped in the Doo dealer today to get some snowcheck info and came out confused about one thing...

What is in the "Sea Level Calibration" kit for the 2014?

He told me that in addition to clutching changes, there is a required ECU flash for high elevation and low elevation. So if I was to ride the sled here AND out West, I'd need to have it changed.

I've never heard of an EFI sled that needed to have this done. My 05 Cat certainly doesn't need it.

Does this make any sense or is he confused?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I don't know about the ECU change, but I can tell you that everyone I've spoken with that has the low elev clutching is not impressed. Having run similar, I think a guy is better off keeping the stock clutching, gearing it up and adding some pin weight....maybe a little less finish on the primary spring if necessary. The sea level calibration makes no sense to me, the stock 441 Ramps are a far better choice for low elev.

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
I just off of the phone with doo~ they said B.S. on the reflashing~ you do not have to do that~ they said go to the next size shorter pins in the clutch and run the clicker on 3 to 4 depending on the elevation~ i run mine on 4 currently~ hope this helps~

Rave

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2001
SE MN
Been running my '13 XM 154 around a bit here at home (Southern Minnesota 1200 ft. elevation). Just put in 16.8 gram pins and it rocks. A little taller gearing would help, but man, 30mph to 75mph is a hoot!!

L

landon283

Nov 26, 2007
Edmore, ND
ian i don't change a thing on my xm except clickers from mn to mt.

How do you get away with doing that when the clickers only allow for about 200 rpm adjustment change up or down but only a few numbers and the elevation change is 6000 feet or more? I ran my 13 with 20 grams here at 1500 ft and had to let off many times as it hit the rev limiter if I held it WOT too long so I actually needed more weight, then out west I ran about 15 grams at 8000-9000 ft and it was perfect at 7900 rpms. I am just confused with how the clickers can do the job that pinweight is suppose to do?

S
Dec 8, 2012
ND
Maybe it is different on the xm's , but on my 2011 summit x I run Blue/Purple spring, 413 ramps, Long Solid Pin (18.8g) on #3, at 1000ft. and it runs really hard to 7900.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
How do you get away with doing that when the clickers only allow for about 200 rpm adjustment change up or down but only a few numbers and the elevation change is 6000 feet or more? I ran my 13 with 20 grams here at 1500 ft and had to let off many times as it hit the rev limiter if I held it WOT too long so I actually needed more weight, then out west I ran about 15 grams at 8000-9000 ft and it was perfect at 7900 rpms. I am just confused with how the clickers can do the job that pinweight is suppose to do?

I've been going west with Doos since '98 & I've always only changed clickers.

Sea level kit has been uninstalled.

The entire "sea level kit" has been deleted from my 13 XM and replaced with a 21 top gear, stock 441 ramps and kit from Dynamo Joe. I am very impressed!

I ride mountains in AK, very technical, often climbing steep and deep while winding through tight trees and sculpted terrain. Instant power is very beneficial and lots is better. Joey created a kit for me, that took into account my weight, riding style, conditions and elevation, with my sled and with a little communication showed me that what this incredible machine came from the factory with was not its true potential. After a little experimentation and tweaking I discovered real throttle response and useable power. I like it. I can honestly say that I have never gone that fast on a sled before and precision throttling helps to eliminate many stucks. Next best thing to a turbo is great clutching. Dynamo Joe is a clutching wizard.

O

orange2

Feb 1, 2010
My 13 freeride clicker on 1 in iowa, 5 out in the horns, turns 79-8000 rpm like it should. I am sure it could be improved but it works good enough for me.

B
Dec 1, 2007
Soldotna, AK
The entire "sea level kit" has been deleted from my 13 XM and replaced with a 21 top gear, stock 441 ramps and kit from Dynamo Joe. I am very impressed!

I ride mountains in AK, very technical, often climbing steep and deep while winding through tight trees and sculpted terrain. Instant power is very beneficial and lots is better. Joey created a kit for me, that took into account my weight, riding style, conditions and elevation, with my sled and with a little communication showed me that what this incredible machine came from the factory with was not its true potential. After a little experimentation and tweaking I discovered real throttle response and useable power. I like it. I can honestly say that I have never gone that fast on a sled before and precision throttling helps to eliminate many stucks. Next best thing to a turbo is great clutching. Dynamo Joe is a clutching wizard.

I totally agree. I have the same DJ's kit on my 13 here in AK as well. I'm still running the stock 19/51 gearing on the 163. I've thought about trying 20/51 but just haven't got around to it yet. So far it has been performing flawlessly. Consistent rpm's all the time. I have one of his kits on my other sled and it was an equal improvement over the junk stock calibration. Dialed clutching is definitely the best bang for your buck.

I totally agree. I have the same DJ's kit on my 13 here in AK as well. I'm still running the stock 19/51 gearing on the 163. I've thought about trying 20/51 but just haven't got around to it yet. So far it has been performing flawlessly. Consistent rpm's all the time. I have one of his kits on my other sled and it was an equal improvement over the junk stock calibration. Dialed clutching is definitely the best bang for your buck.

Roger that. I didn't mention that my 21/49 gearing is on a 154 so I don't know much about 163's. Flawless sounds pretty good to me.

you're in Slowdotna. Me too. Not sure where we're riding tomorrow but Snug might be getting a little fresh, or maybe Johnson pass.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
well ideally i should add weight, but when i ride at home it is just a short trail ride. it will bang off the rev limiter if i hold it wide open.

B
Dec 1, 2007
Soldotna, AK
Roger that. I didn't mention that my 21/49 gearing is on a 154 so I don't know much about 163's. Flawless sounds pretty good to me.

you're in Slowdotna. Me too. Not sure where we're riding tomorrow but Snug might be getting a little fresh, or maybe Johnson pass.

Yup. I've had really had good luck with the DJ's set up at our elevation. I was able to add 2.5g of weight over the stock setup. 18 to 20.5. Pulls so much harder and the R's are super consistent. No more clicking up and down for on/off train riding. I also hear really good things about the rooster built setup at elevation, but don't know anyone running them up here. We're going to hit snug up tomorrow.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com

Hi, Please allow me to steal that comment "precision throttling" I already put it on my new website (new website not up yet)
Umm..im not a wizard, I dont enchant anyone but my sweety with a lot of red wine and maybe a foot rub when we watch sledding vids.:devil:

Im only "amateur editor" that pieces together clutching stories from my test guys. So then the kit is not me...this kit was built from guys like Jack here and his friends and other test pilots from the past (Okotoks crew) and at the time I was with them, we did not have this explosion with "ease of video recording", I wish I could show their tree riding too. Imagine a 1000sdi "tree riding"..well not to the extreme of Jack, however for the "barge from lake lamarge", Travis could handle that RT in the trees, let me tell ya.

Anyhoo...these kits are compelled by seasoned veteran riders who live in the mountains.
thanks for the feedback.

P
Dec 29, 2007
I have run a DJ kit on numerous sleds in the past with great success. I now have a 13 XM that I thought was doing just fine until one day we were doing some racing on the way home. Every XM got it's *** beat because they were hitting the rev limiter. I decided enough was enough and contacted my good ol' buddy Joey. Immediately got rid of the 413 ramps and installed his kit. Wow! No I can hold it wide open in the deep snow, climbing and even on a 1 mile long drag race with the RPM holding steady. I am stoked to not have to open up my side panel and change my clickers for different conditions.

Hi, Please allow me to steal that comment "precision throttling" I already put it on my new website (new website not up yet)
Umm..im not a wizard, I dont enchant anyone but my sweety with a lot of red wine and maybe a foot rub when we watch sledding vids.:devil:

Im only "amateur editor" that pieces together clutching stories from my test guys. So then the kit is not me...this kit was built from guys like Jack here and his friends and other test pilots from the past (Okotoks crew) and at the time I was with them, we did not have this explosion with "ease of video recording", I wish I could show their tree riding too. Imagine a 1000sdi "tree riding"..well not to the extreme of Jack, however for the "barge from lake lamarge", Travis could handle that RT in the trees, let me tell ya.

Anyhoo...these kits are compelled by seasoned veteran riders who live in the mountains.
thanks for the feedback.

Only from you, Joey, would I be flattered to be stolen from. I'll be checking to see your new website.

Thanks a bunch for helping me to squeeze more fun from a great sled.

Premium Features