• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

!!FIX THIS BOG!!

B

badapple

Jan 16, 2009
WEST SIDE
!!FIX THIS BOG!! UPDATE!!

So far this season i have two rides. Both rides two different hills my sled has bogged and died on steep pulls. Midway up it just acts like it ran out of gas(it is half full) but, on the flat it will pull hard all the way to 70-80mph no hiccups at all:noidea:
Any suggestions before i pull it apart!? BTW new plugs before last ride and wash is spot on maybe a touch fat...
Only happens on steep full throttle pulls:confused:

Last edited:
B

badapple

Jan 16, 2009
WEST SIDE
09 xp stock clutching
haven't been in the clutches yet just hit 1000miles their on my list though:face-icon-small-win
After it dies it will restart with two or three pulls and run like its flooded??

Last edited:
T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
To fully assess the problem I must first know where you are finding hills with enough snow to consider them hard pulls. Next...when you are doing these hard pulls and the sled dies, do not restart until you pull the plugs. This will give you a true reading for WOT. If trying again on the hill is not so desireable then maybe elevate the front of the sled at home and check the fuel pick up hose in tank and look in the air box to make sure a lil mouse didnt build a nest over the summer which is blocking air coming in when the front goes up or something like that.

B

badapple

Jan 16, 2009
WEST SIDE
Fuel pickup or plugged tank breather?
It def feels like it runs out of gas!
To fully assess the problem I must first know where you are finding hills with enough snow to consider them hard pulls. Next...when you are doing these hard pulls and the sled dies, do not restart until you pull the plugs. This will give you a true reading for WOT. If trying again on the hill is not so desireable then maybe elevate the front of the sled at home and check the fuel pick up hose in tank and look in the air box to make sure a lil mouse didnt build a nest over the summer which is blocking air coming in when the front goes up or something like that.
Not deep snow pulls but very steep long full throttle pulls. I did just change the plugs and both looked great. I did have the air box out before riding this year and all is clear! Thanks for the tip, ill try hanging the front end and see id i can re create the problem!

M
Nov 13, 2008
Bog

Is your can loose? This happened to me one day when climbing the can would push up inside pan and plug itself. Didn't figure it out right away because it was popping I'n and out of the hole.

E

extrmsled

Dec 3, 2007
alberta
fixed 2 sleds with same problem -both were the rave valve solenoid
buddy had his 09 would run good for a few minutes the sputter
let off and all good for another few minutes.
take in to your dealer and get your faults checked that should give you some idea on where to start. atleast it is only about a 70$ part right above your recoil

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
So far this season i have two rides. Both rides two different hills my sled has bogged and died on steep pulls. Midway up it just acts like it ran out of gas(it is half full) but, on the flat it will pull hard all the way to 70-80mph no hiccups at all:noidea:
Any suggestions before i pull it apart!? BTW new plugs before last ride and wash is spot on maybe a touch fat...
Only happens on steep full throttle pulls:confused:
As Winter stated i would say fuel pick up in the tank. Seen this happen on rt 1000.
Pack some gas with you and when it happens again top up tank and try again. At least that will tell you if it is or not. :face-icon-small-win

S
Mar 17, 2008
i had a similar issue with my 09 and it only happened on long climbs. it would lose rpm to around 6500 and not recover until i sat for a bit. had it too the dealer and they found the movable clutch bushing was too tight and when it would heat up it would bind on the shaft. i think there was a bulletin from brp on this or something similar. never had the problem again....good luck

S

Skidoo83

Feb 17, 2009
WA
has your sled been doing it all of a sudden or since you owned it, i had the same problem with a new 09 xp 800 i took it to the dealer 5 times they droped one jet size and lean the hell out of the oil (21mm on the cable) it help out but still tryed to bog out
I got a flexable fiberoptic bore scope. looked in the cylinder and checked the pistion wash. both cylinders were getting too much fuel and not enough oil (thanks dealer
had to rebuild the topend)

B

badapple

Jan 16, 2009
WEST SIDE
has your sled been doing it all of a sudden or since you owned it, i had the same problem with a new 09 xp 800 i took it to the dealer 5 times they droped one jet size and lean the hell out of the oil (21mm on the cable) it help out but still tryed to bog out
I got a flexable fiberoptic bore scope. looked in the cylinder and checked the pistion wash. both cylinders were getting too much fuel and not enough oil (thanks dealer
had to rebuild the topend)

All of a sudden!
Thing ripped all last year and then first ride this season this bog showed up??
Thing just dies 3/4 the way up a hill like it runs out of gas!?
Im just now getting a chance to do a little diag as i have been very busy!
Ill report back as soon as i figure something out...

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Bog

Check all DPM hoses and make sure that they are hooked up solid and no fluid in them.

U
DPM Solenoid. This is the little plastic thing that sits above the carbs with 3 small hoses and 2 wires. Remove the hoses and unplug the wire connector. Remove the solenoid from the plastic housing and spray it with a good lubricant. Blow compressed air through all the holes to make sure none of them are plugged.

My guess is that's your problem.

Other than that, you could pull your carbs and check for a clogged main jet or stuck float.

Oct 24, 2010
Hull, IA
DPM Solenoid. This is the little plastic thing that sits above the carbs with 3 small hoses and 2 wires. Remove the hoses and unplug the wire connector. Remove the solenoid from the plastic housing and spray it with a good lubricant. Blow compressed air through all the holes to make sure none of them are plugged.

My guess is that's your problem.

Other than that, you could pull your carbs and check for a clogged main jet or stuck float.

X2.

B

badapple

Jan 16, 2009
WEST SIDE
UPDATE

So i started looking at a few things tonight...

1. Pulled dpm and checked for sticky valve- All looks good, lubed it anyways!
2. Pulled fuel pick-up- All appears ok nothing blocked
3. Pulled airbox and inspected carbs(haven't pulled them yet)- all appears ok!
4. Pulled plugs- Both look great!
5. Inspected all electrical connections and vacuum lines for rave valves-A-ok!

Now a few questions?

The tank vent valve...is it suppose to only vent one way?
(i know stupid question but had to ask)
Where is the fuel filter?

Ill have a chance to do some "on mountain" diag this weekend and will report back :thumb:

ApeSh*tBananas

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2008
Conway
Ski doo

I had the same thing happen on my rev coming out of pocket lake last year my sled would run out of gas bog out and die 1/2 way up. I wiped out on the way down and my fuel pickup in side the tank had done a 180 and was at the front of the tank. I had over half a tank of gas and it would run fine on the flat or small pulls. After 5 attempts and zig zagging up the climb I was able to get out, I was able to look down my fuel spout and see it and your filter is on the end of the fuel pickup.

Premium Features