• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Driveshaft Bearing Removal??

O
Installing some new Avid Drivers on my driveshaft and decided to change out the Bearing on the driveshaft. I have not been able to remove the bearing no matter what I do. Any tips/ideas/suggestions??

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
SPEEDO BEARING REMOVAL

Installing some new Avid Drivers on my driveshaft and decided to change out the Bearing on the driveshaft. I have not been able to remove the bearing no matter what I do. Any tips/ideas/suggestions??

I use a pitman arm (front end steering linkage on a car) puller.

A small gear puller should work,

I usually place a small socket over the speedo drive to protect it and run the puller up against that small socket.

I suppose you could try an air chisel, since you're tossing the old bearing out.

On the drive wheels, I usually make a hacksaw blade light cut next to the stock wheels prior to removal for reference, and 8 7/8" center to center on the new ones.

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
just use a good press and a quality bearing separator. ur gunna need it to change drivers anyway. Bearings get a tad rusted/locked to shaft so sometimes they need a pretty good shove to move. Had one that took all of 20 tons to get her off of there..but shaft was a ok

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
those bearings get so much abuse its a good idea to change them every couple years anyway. That makes them easier to get off.

Arbor press works well on the less than stubborn ones if not something with a bit more pressure. I have beat them off with a hammer before too.:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features