• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best place to buy a cabin WY, CO, UT

I

ikold

Dec 2, 2007
Am looking for a spot that gets substantial snowfall (e.g. Wolf Creek, Rabbit Ears, Silverton, Snowies) consistently and where one can get a cabin inholding in the national forest so you can wake up hop on your sled and be gone for the day.
We have a snow cat so a winter maintained road is not a requirement.

* Must not be to expensive to buy a parcel of land either with or without small log cabin.
* Need to be able to walk out the door and ride
* Would prefer that electricity is available to property
* Winter maintenance would be a plus but is not at all a requirement.
* Would like something semi close to a functioning town (groceries, food, etc) so the ladies don't revolt.

If you could pick a spot, what would you do!

Have been eyeing a cabin in South Fork, but I went skiing at Silverton last February and it was like nothing I've seen before in CO.

So where would you go ? ? ?

Ult680

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Ada, MI
I have thought about doing this myself a few times. There seems to be more draw backs then advantages "for me". Yes the riding can be amazing to wake and ride! But you can run into a situation where your location just isnt getting the snowfall. Then you are going some where else to ride and you still have a place of your own. For me it just works to chase the snow to perfect conditions in great locations. However if you can find a place that gets great snowfall and you have a place to lay your stuff down. That would be a nice change from dragging your stuff from hotel to hotel.

With that being said Colorado would be my pick!

I bought a place in Grand Lake, CO a couple years back. Many will bash GL for snow conditions and too many renters, but I've always had terrific luck. I've got little kids, and the town of GL is perfect. Lots of stuff to do all year long for the ladies and kids. I'm only about 1.5 hours away from it, so I get to come and go pretty easily and rarely miss a good snowfall.....even mid-week.
*edit*...Forgot to mention that if you're only planning on using it a few times a year, you may want to consider renting it out the rest of the time to help cover expenses. I don't rent mine as we use it too much, but a couple of my buddies do......it sure helps them cover mortgage/taxes/expenses.

Last edited:

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Crestted Butte has that little mountain "township" that is sled in only in the winter. Not sure on pricing but they have small cabins to full scale manisons back in that area.

Sledding is top notch with lots of annual snowfall. Plus a nice little boutique town for the wives to enjoy. ;)

Should meet everything on your list except maybe the price?

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
AMAZING RIDING

Alpine, Wyoming enough said. My family has a cabin up in Alpine and it is the best riding I've ever experienced. about 2 miles from our Cabin is Greys canyon and that is amazing. About 25 miles away is another area where you can find some sweet riding. I don't think its too pricey up there but I could be wrong.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
My parents have a cabin in the Snowy's up the trail a ways from Albany. It's probalby not the spot if you are concerned about being close to stores/shopping etc. We ride right from our door and don't see too many sleds on the weekends.

Don't be too concerned about electricity IMO. Our place has been off the grid since it was built (almost 10 years ago). We have sattelite, high speed internet, and phone service. Runs off solar most of the year, but we do have to run the generator around Christmas when the days are really short.

The next door neighbor's cabin is for sale, and there is a lot that is close by that is for sale too - like I said, it is probably not what you are looking for, but PM me if you are interested.

Z

zsnowshredder

Nov 30, 2007
Mancos, CO
If you want to ride from your door, the Wyatt West Ranch is the place, just google it or search on youtube for videos.

House at 8100 feet elevation, ride up to 13,000 feet= lots of snow

5 miles from town for gas & grub

About 30 min from Durango and a liitle more than an hour from Silverton

Rental cabin on property provides good income

Garage is 20 feet from the National Forest

No crowds

DSC_0092.jpg Kirtis Camera 077.jpg Kirtis Camera 024.jpg

Last edited:

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Fairview Utah. Skyline drive
They plow the highway over the mountain all year long, so you can drive with in a couple miles of your cabin. Great riding area !!! Lots of snowfall !!!

Premium Features