• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

!4 XM first service

M
Jul 20, 2012
Dealer says after break-in I should bring it for a look over and change the chain case oil. They want around $130. Is this necessary?

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
My 13 XM has 980 miles and dealer recommended changing at two years. It had about 550 miles at the end of '13 season.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
Is it necessary no. Im at 400+ on my 14 and haven't done it. If you wanted you could change the oil yourself and go over all the bolts and nuts and do a better then the dealer might. Im not saying not doing it is right or my way is better but i go over my sled every few rides and blow out the clutches and what not and call it good. just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
The checklist they go through is located in your owners manual.

I changed my chain case oil, cleaned clutches, checked track tension, etc at around 300 miles and snapped a couple photos in case they were to give me any trouble about warranty claims down the road. Should also check primary clutch bolt torque.

I'd say it's a good checklist, and ought to be done by someone. Dealer doesn't have to be the one to do it though. Should only cost you about $20 in oil and scotchbrite pads/dish soap for the clutches & belt. Oh and some blue lock tight for the rear axle.

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
It is all very basic maintenance that you can probably do yourself in a couple of hours. Yeah, you will probably spend about $20 for new oil but you will save around $110 that you can put in your gas tank. I trust myself much more than anybody else doing work on my stuff, not that they aren't capable but sometimes there are distractions in the middle of a project and things don't always get finished like they should. The more you know about your sled the better off you are if you have problems on the mountain. IMHO!!!

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I have heard guys say that the dealer needs to do the 10hr service or it could give you warranty issues. I had them do mine but it was part of what I negotiated at snowcheck time.

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
I dropped mine off yesterday for the 10 hour service. They said it would be $212.XX. Gear oil included.

D
Oct 22, 2008
Longview WA
I had mine done at the dealer, yes it is easy an I have done it all before. I like the peace of mind with my warranty that it was done where i bought it. Same thing with my wifes new car, pay a few bucks more for a oil change at the dealer…..hopefully no warranty issues!

K
Nov 15, 2013
Washington State
With any new sled it's a good idea to bolt check, etc at regular intervals. I'm not sure it would cause a warranty problem not to take it to the dealer because most dealers are going to want to do the warranty work when your sled breaks anyway and they will likely find a way to take care of it under warranty if possible.

It's not difficult to do the chaincase oil. May take you a half hour to an hour on your first attempt but it's worth removing the cover and checking your chain tension anyway. I've seen them be perfect after 1000 miles and I've seen them way to loose after 200 miles.

Premium Features