• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'12 primary index marks

H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
Maybe someone can help. I cleaned my clutches for the first time tonight. Sled has about 300 miles on it. But I noticed none of my indexing marks were lined up. From the crank scribe to the arrow on the governors cup But there was a sharpie mark on all three pieces of the clutch "in line" with each other. It tells me either it was put together wrong from the factory and someone used a sharpie to keep things how it was sent from the factory, or things were in line and changed at the dealership. I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and get more answers, but I guess I'm asking how much damage could be caused by running it out of balance like that? I never noticed any vibration, but I did notice a lack of R's on the last ride of our trip. But I figured it was just overdue for a good cleaning. Anyone know why they would have done this??

H

Hiterhard

Oct 13, 2008
Northern WY
That thread is what actually got me out to the garage to pull mine apart and see what they were talking about. As I was tearing it apart I noticed none of the indexing marks were in line how they should be, and it seemed intentional by the way the sharpie markings were on the clutch. Just wondering why the dealership would do something like that and if by doing so may have caused damage to my motor and crank.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
That thread is what actually got me out to the garage to pull mine apart and see what they were talking about. As I was tearing it apart I noticed none of the indexing marks were in line how they should be, and it seemed intentional by the way the sharpie markings were on the clutch. Just wondering why the dealership would do something like that and if by doing so may have caused damage to my motor and crank.

It won't hurt anything, it's really splitting hairs. I would put it back together by the book.

Premium Features