• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen 4 Updates 17-19

Circus Midget

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I had a guy make me a really good offer on my XM so I'm in the market for a new sled. I haven't paid real close attention the last few years to know what's been updated and improved each year. I was hoping I could get the run down from a few guys in the know. Shot would be nice and I do know the 19's have the new rail profile. Major clutching improvements in the 19's or can Ibuy an 18 model and address the clutching issues? Local dealer seems crazy for new sled prices and there appears to be some decent deals on used sleds, however if the 19 has all the bugs out that might make my decision for me.

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My opinion, the 17 sleds were crap. I hated mine, belt issues. Sold one half way through the season, was scared that I was going to get stuck with it.
18 were way better.
19 are a TON better.
The 19 fan system must be working for me, I have 120 miles or so on a 175 and haven't smelled, thought about, or even looked at the belt. Although I did sell my stock belts and am running the newest version. I just put a hard 50 on my 154 today, didn't miss a beat. (Other than the recoil quit working on this one too.)
I have a bud with 1200 miles on his 17, original belt. He got a good one. I did not.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Any sled NEW UNSOLD held by an authorized SKIDOO dealer MUST have all the service bulletin upgrades on SHOT , clutches , motor mounts.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I do not believe that the "fan system" is an update?
Riding yesterday, it was cold, snow was very light. I noticed that my clutch vent was getting snow stuck to it. Showed that there was heat coming out when riding as supposed to be.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I do not believe that the "fan system" is an update?
Riding yesterday, it was cold, snow was very light. I noticed that my clutch vent was getting snow stuck to it. Showed that there was heat coming out when riding as supposed to be.

Vent kit is standard on a 2019 sled.

Im not sure whether the vent kit / clutch cover kit part number 861805531 is a required upgrade on unsold 2018 /2017 still at an Skidoo dealership.

Personally I bought the vent kit for $70 mailed to my door after already purchased 2018 sleds this spring.

We vented the clutch side panels with SLP Hot Air Elimination Kit LEFT HAND SIDE For Ski-Doo Gen4 850 17-18 32-638. It allows the heat out all the vents.

We also did the CVT modification on the clutch cover providing more venting while maintaining a protective barrier if the clutch belt fails. IMHO the SKIDOO vent kit 861805531 is awesome and really like the modification to easier remove / install the belt cover BUT the SLP kit has more venting area thn SKIDOOS venting. Skidoo venting specifically directs the venting into the center of the secondary clutch. While the SLP has vents on panels to let the heat escape.

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Vent kit is standard on a 2019 sled.

Im not sure whether the vent kit / clutch cover kit part number 861805531 is a required upgrade on unsold 2018 /2017 still at an Skidoo dealership.

Personally I bought the vent kit for $70 mailed to my door after already purchased 2018 sleds this spring.

We vented the clutch side panels with SLP Hot Air Elimination Kit LEFT HAND SIDE For Ski-Doo Gen4 850 17-18 32-638. It allows the heat out all the vents.

We also did the CVT modification on the clutch cover providing more venting while maintaining a protective barrier if the clutch belt fails. IMHO the SKIDOO vent kit 861805531 is awesome and really like the modification to esier rome / install the CVT cover BUT the SLP kit has more venting area thn SKIDOOS venting. Skidoo venting specifically directs the venting into the center of the primary clutch. While the SLP has vents on panels to let the heat escape.

I know, that is what I am saying. Doo may update motor mounts and clutching, but they are not going to give 2017-2018 owners the finned secondary clutch that makes the vent kit work. The kit will help, but the finned secondary is what blows the hot air out.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I know, that is what I am saying. Doo may update motor mounts and clutching, but they are not going to give 2017-2018 owners the finned secondary clutch that makes the vent kit work. The kit will help, but the finned secondary is what blows the hot air out.

Air still blows out … just not as much !

GolfPineAcres

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
Thought I'd throw my 2cents in here, being a 17 165X owner. My sled has had all the bulletins addressed. Most noticeable of which was the smaller top gear, made it much snappier. Currently 900 miles and beginning its 3rd season of use. I can honestly say I never had a belt issue, clutch issue, or anything other issue. Its been a rock solid performer. The stock clutching, IMO, was better than decent. The addition of a DJ kit just helped it along.
To say the 17s were crap is a bit to generic of a statement. I'm sure there were a few "issue" sleds out there. However, they definitely were the minority and not majority of the year model. Some improvements on 18's and 19's, there always is, but nothing earth shattering. Just refinements, IMHO.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
My opinion, the 17 sleds were crap. I hated mine, belt issues. Sold one half way through the season, was scared that I was going to get stuck with it.
18 were way better.
19 are a TON better.

Could you please explain what is "better" about the 18 and 19? I have a 2017 and have had zero issues.. but I have no experience with a 18 or 19.. Soni dont really know the difference. At this point I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 17, that is unless you can provide some insight as to why the later models were better.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
17 had issues with the bulkhead. Best to brace them. 18 fixed that, but new motor mounts came with the 19 as well as the vented side panel and what is said to be a better clutched sled. My guess is more refined fuel mapping, but that can be added with the buds at the dealer. So if your 17 isnt a belt blower, it's just the few refinements doo makes to the new chassis every year.

D
Oct 22, 2008
Longview WA
I bought a new left over 18 154x3
Got a $3000 buck rebate, updated the clutch and motor Monte. No issues for me (2 rides)
Got 5 friends with 17’s and besides bulk head issue on 1 no issues.
Problem sleds and internet drama I hope ha ha!

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
2017 Rev 4

Have two 165's one an x one an SP.Big John clutch kits,changed secondary springs,mountain fit vent kits,no belt issues at all.These things need air movement.I do not believe the 2017's where as evil as some made it out to be.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Could you please explain what is "better" about the 18 and 19? I have a 2017 and have had zero issues.. but I have no experience with a 18 or 19.. Soni dont really know the difference. At this point I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 17, that is unless you can provide some insight as to why the later models were better.

Do some searching here.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana

I use the blow hole and added the venting. Seem to have very consistent clutching now. Never had a belt eater but I think this really works with the finned secondary or the blow hole.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My 19 sleds have been 500% better than my 17/18 sleds.
17 154/165. 200 miles before belts are worn beyond deflection or blown. Every 5 minutes of riding had to throw snow on clutches to cool them down. Smelled burning belts all the time. Coming off 16 sleds with DJ clutches with 1600 miles per belt, I hated the sleds so much that I sold my 165 in January.
18 175/154 Freeride. Better, gave up on messing with it and just rode them with worn belts, but only put 700 miles on between the two. Was kinda bummed on sledding after the 17/18 sleds. Loved the chassis though, over the XM models.
19 175 Summit, 154 FR. 180 miles on Summit, 150 on Freeride. Haven't looked at, smelled, worried about the clutches or belt on either. No loss of performance. These things RIP. Hot or cold, performance is the same. Haven't even checked deflection. I AM using the updated belt, I sold the stockers.
The 175 does want to go faster, it must be geared down over the 154. 175 on the lake in 5 inches of fresh is still pulling hard at 73mph, the 154 pulls 73 but doesn't like it. But performance where it counts is still spot on.

Happy New Years!

Premium Features