• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good snow coming in and the kids sled dies.....

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
2005 EFI 900. Intermittently cutting out and dying. Hard to get restarted(seems like 15-20 mins. and alot of pulling to fire up again)
Becoming more frequent. Plugs are dry when I check them after it dies, but has strong spark.
Anyone had similar issues?
Good snow coming in and the kids sled dies.....

R
If you have good spark, your lucky., Then its fuel. Check your fuel line from the tank. Those have a air line also that runs across the top of the bulk head, if you will, by the air box and exits above your left foot. Check it.
Check fuel filter.. Fuel pump may need to be rebuilt.
Pull your fuel line to your fuel rail, do you have fuel??
If you had old gas, maybe plugged injectors. Maybe pulled something from the tank.
Keep it simple. Start at the tank. Also make sure that you have a fuel line in the tank.

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
like an overflow line that comes out by the left foot? I saw fuel in that line, not like a constant flow, what should it be doing? How do you check filters, lines and pump. Do I take it all out the top of the tank? I did have fuel to the line where connects ro the bar above the injectors, would that mean injector probs?
Thanks for your input

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Thanks, local shop could not get the sled to die or act like it did the last 2 outings...not sure what to do, don't really feel like riding until I know its ready to roll again. Compression and everyting tested was good. Did drain the tank maybe it was fighting bad fuel. Are the smart valves in the main stem of the fuel pump or at the ends of the fuel pick up lines - screens looked clean and in good shape when I checked it out.
Thanks agin for offering ideas.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
End of the lines,

Do you ride at a higher elevation than the dealer shop.
Might be an indicator to what is going on.

Watch for wire shorts, handle bars, hand warmers, loose grounds, tail light wires, little things

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Rode today, ran great for about 6 miles then quit.... Seemed to fire up faster if I placed some snow around the throttle body. Someone talked to me about a tps sensor acting up after getting hot? Kind of sputterd an popped a bit today before stalling.
Will look for wires issues! Did eliminate the key switch and am using a tether and the handlebar kill switch, not sure if that could cause a problem or if the tether switch may not be compatible?
Looking to sell the beast this year and now this, lol

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
If it starts and runs and dies after a little while, and it keeps doing that then it had to do with something getting warm and giving out.
Does it do it consistent or is it random?

If random the only thing I've seen like that is injector wires grounding out, pretty easy to know though, when it happens it cuts spark.

If it's constant it could still be the stator, voltage regulator, coils, fuel pump, sensors getting weak like the temp sensor.

Based on your first post the coolant sensor could do it, if it thinks it's a little warm it can pull fuel and until it cools down it won't give enough fuel

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Will check injector connections. Tried to test it today, and now no spark. Shop was thinking potential coil issue.
Make someone a great deal on this sled right now!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I would be looking for a wire grounding out.

I always start be unplugging things one at a time.
Handle bars, check spark
Brake light, check
Hood, check,
Key, check

Unplug everything that doesn't have to be plugged in to run.

If you can't find it, get a ohm tester and put the ground to a ground and start checking wire pins for a short

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
simulate a heated component with a trouble light etc..put close to coils /ecu etc...then you know if it craps out its electrical. You may need heat gun in stator area...im figuring stator when warm..and the stator eventually will fail 100 percent

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Good idea on heating things up, will stator cut out intermittently before dying completely? Of the 4 times it stalled I had spark to the plugs as that was the first thing I checked before trying to start it again.
I hate electrical and electronic - ready to go back to old repairable technology...

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
yes often a stator will be intermittent and usually heat starts to make it fail and eventually a total failure..it may be the pick up coil at stator also..??..but if you heat up the recoil/stator area..maybe through the timing hole..??..from the get go and no spark then let cool and see if it sparks after cool then your in the ballpark

Drlsldr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2012
Missoula Montana
Crappy tether cord attachment is the only short I could find, definitely was not hooking in very well. Could it be that simple...lol
Ran it for an hour with new cord and no issues

Premium Features