• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grip Warmer HELP!

T

tomassend

Nov 2, 2010
PNW
Alright I bought a used 2003 Yamaha Mountain Viper SXV. The hand grips never worked, so now that this is my GF's sled they NEED to get working.

Before taking the stock grips off, I tried replacing the relay/fuse on the clutch side of the sled. That did not change anything and the grips still did not work.

This year I took the stock handle grips off and replaced them with the standard issue ones that stick to the bare bar and then the new grips go over them.....I thougth sweet.

So I fired it up, road it around the block a few times and the thumb warmer was burning my thumb but the handle bars gave me nothing. So I thought I wired it wrong. So I switched the wires and then when I started up the sled I got a warning indicator illumination on the instrument panel. I self diagnosed it per the manual and the manual says there is a grip warmer short circuit. The grips are not working at this point either, the error code just keeps flashing.

So here are the questions:

If I wired it wrong, would that throw the error code? If the answer to that question is yes, then why didn't the grips work when it was wired up the first time......

The wires coming out for the grips are colored as follows, one is black and the other is yellow and white. Can anyone tell me which is the hot wire for a Yamaha Mountain Viper SXV?

I do not think it would be the switch, otherwise the code would not be stating there is a short circuit would it? The power would simply run to the switch and not continue on from there, right?

Also, how long does it normally take to get the grip warmers to heat up? I bet we had the machine running for 15 minutes and there was nothing.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I have gone over the entire sled, rebuilt motor, clutch alignment, coolant flush, suspension adjustment, custom fabricated rack......and I still cannot get the grip warmers to work.

Thanks much guys,

Dave Tomassen

Premium Features