• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NOAA: Interactive Snow Information MAP

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I called NOAA a few years back to ask about the accuracy.

Back then it was accurate to the square mile … about 640 acres or 27.8 million square feet or 5280 feet x2

Typically low snow levels under a foot are over estimated and levels under estimated at deeper levels because a computer averages the depth for a given area plus using SNOTEL stations to help in the calculation.

Primary mission for this service is to let a hydrologist determine water content of a given area to relay info to farmers and Army Corp of Engineers , FEMA, cities aquaducts , dams , hydroelectric , reseviors etc.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I called NOAA a few years back to ask about the accuracy.

Back then it was accurate to the square mile … about 640 acres or 27.8 million square feet or 5280 feet x2

Typically low snow levels under a foot are over estimated and levels under estimated at deeper levels because a computer averages the depth for a given area plus using SNOTEL stations to help in the calculation.

Primary mission for this service is to let a hydrologist determine water content of a given area to relay info to farmers and Army Corp of Engineers , FEMA, cities aquaducts , dams , hydroelectric , reseviors etc.

One more TOOL in the sledding arsenal!

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
Snotel???? . ..never used it . ..that interactive map is the only one I've ever used . .and it's been a pretty accurate tool imo. ...

Premium Features