• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

kk 900efi randomly dies, any idears?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
So over the summer a buddy picked up a non running kk 900 and asked me to get it running for him. I ended up replacing the fuel pump and lines in the tank and doing an oil delete due to a cracked oil pump and had her running in no time. Did a quick pass down the street and all seemed well so told him come get it. A few months passed and now its time to ride I get a call saying it keeps bogging out and dying so I go to have a look and sure enough its randomly dying. Had him put some fresh gas in and take it out in the field and run it, at first it runs like a champ but after about 20 minutes it bogs out and dies. The length of time it runs varies, sometimes it'll run for a good half hour and other times it won't make it one pass down the field. Also restarting it changes to, sometimes it fires right back up and other times it takes a bit to get started again. We noticed the tank vent was full of fuel so thought maybe it was creating vacuum in the tank not allowing the fuel to pump (not sure if this can happen with the elec. Pump or not) so we loosened the cap a bit and he took it out again and it ran for a good 30-40 min. Straight so we thought we were on to something but just as we got our hopes up it died so threw that theory out the window.

Sorry for the long post, but anyone have any ideas? Could the smart valves be weak and closing to easy or does it sound more electrical?

Thanks

arcticcatwill

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, id
Might be a bad fuel pressure regulator in the pump housing. Also check your grounds and run a extra ground wire from your voltage regulator to the engine and chassis.

bart0678

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
These are symptoms of a bad stator. As it heat soaks it will die intermittently.
Very common cat problem, Esp efi motors.

Adam

Premium Features