• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My worst day snowmobiling ever!

br7l32

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
The snow has been pretty sparse here in Northern Nevada. We just got about 12" over the last couple days(with about a 20" base at my entry point) and I had Sat morning available to head up for the first time.

My enclosed trailer was already hooked up to the truck and ready to go with my sleds inside.

I geared up in the house and started walking out to the truck with a smile on my face with anticipation for some fun today but more so for the almost weeklong trip my family and I have planned with some friends of ours at their new cabin (House) in the snowies. (A place I have never ridden)

About 10 feet from the truck wearing my Klim boots, both feet flew out from under me, As i was falling to my back on the ice I heard (and felt) my left leg break. I was by myself and as I leaned up to look I could see that my toes were not pointing the way they should have been.

Luckily I had my cel phone in my bibs and called a friend who lives a couple miles up the street. He picked my up and took me to the hospital where they confirmed it was broken and sent me into surgery.

Many of the nurses and doctors asked me how it happened and I told them I was headed up snowmobiling for the first time of the season.

I could hear several of them talking out side my door and heard someone say
" I think it was his LAST DAY OF THE SEASON"

Tell me it's not so!

At least I didn't by a new sled this year.

All in all I guess it could have been worse.

All I ask is that every one out there this year heading to the steep and deep, please carve and climb one for me.

Allen

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
I would guess you will ride this year, MX guys can come bach in a few months sooo.. Either way that Suxs!!! Hope it heals fast and strong:beer;

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
that blows!!!!!sorry to here that.
a strong will can go a long way towards a speedy recovery.
when i was younger, i was out water skiing 1 mo. after breaking both wrists.
the doc. was pissed because he had to keep re doing my casts because the hefty bags id rap my arms in would still let a little water by...

im not recommending you not follow you doc.s orders, but if he says 4mo., rehab and shoot for 3mo.'s good luck,l and may the time pass quickly...

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I was getting ready to go sledding in 05 and ruptured 2 discs in my back and was out 4 4 months, I know how you feel

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
I shattered my left femur last dec 30. I was out till june. it all depends on if it was a clean break or if chunks of bone splintered off(like mine). My leg never bothered me but my knee is what did me in last year they drilled threw my knee to put my rod in and with my knee being strait for3 months it froze strait. So after 2 surgeies it will work again i can move it to about 115 degrees or a little better now. Whatever you do listen to the dr. and do all the theropy alot of the people i talked to with they would have stuck with the thereopy. I still try to get to the gym as much as possible to keep my leg doing good. dont rush it it will come back gradually. It just takes time.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
been there, done that, doing it again

I know how you feel, man. I had ankle surgery for a collapsed achillies tendon last October, had to have the arch of my foot rebuilt with a bone graft from my hip and tendon lengthed. Spent 3 months flying a lazy-boy until I could even begin to attempt to walk and another 3 months to where I didn't need crutches. I now have 4 screws in my ankle (two of which can come out when I have the same surgery done on the other foot this spring or fall, though hopefully not as extensive!)

Needless to say I'm going to try to do more riding this year, so I'll carve some pow for ya. Keep the sleddin' videos and the laptop with wireless connection handy!

Mike

S
Nov 28, 2007
That blows. Sorry to hear. Buddy just bought a 09 M8 fell the other day and broke arm ribs and shoulder. Phys therapy Massage and exercise will speed up the process. good luck.

undergroundrmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Craig, Colorado
You will ride before the end of the year

In 99 I was crushed between a piece of machinery and the wall crushed my pelvis. Broke it in 7 different places, right side was broken clear off. Happened Nov. 4 doctor told me the same thing done for the year. Went riding on March 4. Granted it was not the tree bashin haul *** up a hill riding but I was riding. I think my desire to ride was a great motivator. But make sure you are ready I know it is hard to resist believe me. Do not go before you are ready. Good Luck on the recovery. Jim

rockdog2112

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2008
Cheyenne,Wy USA
Dude, that sucks. Listen to the doctors so you can ride as soon as possible. If I wouldn't have, I wouldn't be riding either. I got hurt this summer but nothing like that. Best wishes, take care.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
I feel for you. Hopefully you can get up on a good trail ride, there is still a lot of winter left.

If you were looking forward to skiing, or snowboarding you would be completely SOL, but at least there is hope.

*br7132 only has one green dot, and needs some rep points...*

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
The snow has been pretty sparse here in Northern Nevada. We just got about 12" over the last couple days(with about a 20" base at my entry point) and I had Sat morning available to head up for the first time.

My enclosed trailer was already hooked up to the truck and ready to go with my sleds inside.

I geared up in the house and started walking out to the truck with a smile on my face with anticipation for some fun today but more so for the almost weeklong trip my family and I have planned with some friends of ours at their new cabin (House) in the snowies. (A place I have never ridden)

About 10 feet from the truck wearing my Klim boots, both feet flew out from under me, As i was falling to my back on the ice I heard (and felt) my left leg break. I was by myself and as I leaned up to look I could see that my toes were not pointing the way they should have been.

Luckily I had my cel phone in my bibs and called a friend who lives a couple miles up the street. He picked my up and took me to the hospital where they confirmed it was broken and sent me into surgery.

Many of the nurses and doctors asked me how it happened and I told them I was headed up snowmobiling for the first time of the season.

I could hear several of them talking out side my door and heard someone say
" I think it was his LAST DAY OF THE SEASON"

Tell me it's not so!

At least I didn't by a new sled this year.

All in all I guess it could have been worse.

All I ask is that every one out there this year heading to the steep and deep, please carve and climb one for me.

Allen

yeah but how was the sledding that day? :beer;

hope ya heal fast!

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Oh man, that just stinks. The bad news is that yes your season my be over depending how severe of a fracture. Since they had to do a surgical approach to repair it sounds as if this was a major issue and they may have used pins and screws to put your leg back together. Hope that you can get a pass to ride in 6-8 weeks. Oh man that just sucks.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
good luck man.

all this talk of listening to Drs is correct....but damnits man be nice to your X-ray Technologist. Don't ya know we control what the Dr sees:D

Got any pics of the x-rays?

Good luck man, and heal fast, and whatever you do don't smoke.

Premium Features