• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Potential weight loss items...

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Any thoughts on weight relief from a can?

What about a mesh hood?

...after seeing the stock can, and old style hood and lights, just wondering if we can see 25 lbs of weight loss like I did ala the Diamond S hood and titanium can.

Ace

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Any thoughts on weight relief from a can?

What about a mesh hood?

...after seeing the stock can, and old style hood and lights, just wondering if we can see 25 lbs of weight loss like I did ala the Diamond S hood and titanium can.

Ace

I think you could see that much.

I'm snowchecking a 154 with the idea of seeing if I can get it close to 400lbs dry weight. Should be fun.

Here's the list I'm shooting for

Hood. 10-15 lbs
Carbon fiber rails from next tech. 1-2 lbs
Toms rear suspension with foxes all around 5-6 lbs
Tki belt drive 2 lbs
Possibly shave the clutches. 2lbs
Can 7-8 lbs

That would get a 154x close to the 400lb mark.

Obviously don't know yet but I'm guessing this isn't to far off.

gilestyle1

Lifetime Membership
Aug 24, 2013
heber, utah
That new can looks smaller than the one in the xm? Almost looks square like the old one but Skinnier. Probably not as much weight to lose there.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Does anybody know what the stock 163" t-motion skid weighs? I see nextech has the new carbon flex mono skid that weighs 29 lbs.

I'm snowchecking a 154 with the idea of seeing if I can get it close to 400lbs dry weight. Should be fun.

Hood. 10-15 lbs
Tki belt drive 2 lbs
Can 7-8 lbs

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Does anybody know what the stock 163" t-motion skid weighs? I see nextech has the new carbon flex mono skid that weighs 29 lbs.

A 154 was a bit under 41lbs with a Emotion kit in it. I remember we dropped close to 6lbs from a stock SP skid.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Mesh hood, HPS and Floats took 35lbs off the nose of the XM, I imagine it would be a bit less on this, but not much. That new silencer LOOKS smaller but whats inside? Will it be another trick silencer to reproduce the flow characteristics for proper temp probe feedback?
Toms or similar on the rear is another 5-7 easy LBS.
I believe they will drop a little weight in 18 with susp changes.

L
May 15, 2009

Hood. 10-15 lbs
Tki belt drive 2 lbs
Can 7-8 lbs

Just curious on what these price reduction items would cost?

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Hood and Can, from Diamond S was 900 during the summer. Took off 27ish lbs.

Ace

Wow. That's better than I thought it would be. I'll be doing a mountain fit hood if they make them. If I could get 20lbs off for $1000 that would be awesome. It sounds like this engine is quite rippy so I want to take all the rotating weight off that I can and make it instant throttle. Then maybe turbo it next year after aero gets it dialed in good. Imagine big bore bottom end with turbo top end. ��

Last edited:

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC

Hood. 10-15 lbs
Tki belt drive 2 lbs
Can 7-8 lbs

Scheissen, isn' that about an extra $3,000 + in extras to "maybe" get it close to an Axys' weight? Considering the Poo is cheaper to start with.. not seeing the value there??

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Scheissen, isn' that about an extra $3,000 + in extras to "maybe" get it close to an Axys' weight? Considering the Poo is cheaper to start with.. not seeing the value there??

It's not about getting close to the axys DRY weight. It's about getting it to 400lbs dry. That will put it about 20lbs lighter than a comparable axys at ready to ride weights. Don't cry about how much more fuel and all that the axys is carrying. I don't ride my sleds 1/2 full. I top them off. Just like if/when I buy an axys I will ride it full of fuel and oil. If you want to argue about rtr weights I'm not interested. It's all a guess at this point anyway.

It's not about value. If it was I'd go buy a used axys for $9000. some of us enjoy seeing what we can get each sled to do. That's why I have a pro and an Xm. I enjoy them both.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
rulonjj;3936658[COLOR="DarkOrange" said:
]It's not about getting close to the axys DRY weight. It's about getting it to 400lbs dry. [/COLOR] That will put it about 20lbs lighter than a comparable axys at ready to ride weights. Don't cry about how much more fuel and all that the axys is carrying. I don't ride my sleds 1/2 full. I top them off. Just like if/when I buy an axys I will ride it full of fuel and oil. If you want to argue about rtr weights I'm not interested. It's all a guess at this point anyway.

It's not about value. If it was I'd go buy a used axys for $9000. some of us enjoy seeing what we can get each sled to do. That's why I have a pro and an Xm. I enjoy them both.

Umm but isn't that a contradiction? Being as the Axys IS very close to 400 off the showroom? Ergo, spending $3-4 thousand extra to get it "close" or slightly "less" than a stock Axys dry weight isn't the best value at all, especially considering where I'm at, the Doo is already $2500 more to begin with..

Honestly I could care less about the weights etc. Full disclosure, I have an Axys, and I love it. It's a better sled than I am rider, as the new Doo will be too.
And I get the "soup it up" factor lots of us have. From long tube headers and 600hp in my car, to pipes/cans /clutches blah blah on my sleds, I'm right there with you.

But price is definitely a consideration for me too. And when it takes the equivalent of $5,500-6,500 MORE than the cost of an Axys, I'll buy the Poo and save the spare change for a nice holiday or two in Maui.. But that's just me, I like golfing in the sun :face-icon-small-coo

**EDIT sorry my price figures were off in my initial post. While the $2,500 is accurate, and in Cdn dollars (where I am) the extra $4k is in USD, which when converted to todays exchange is $4,000 x 1.405 = $5,620.00 + the $2500 leaves an extra charge of $ 8,120.00 (that's not including freight and brokerage charges to get all those parts shipped in either..)
Give me all the bad rep points you want, but it should be pretty obvious why I consider the Doo a lousy "value". But like I mentioned, I have different ideas of what I consider "value" than others.

Oh, and spend $500 Cdn on a Ti can for the Axys and lose 15 lbs to get to 393 lbs dry, better increase that Doo budget to match :-D

If money were no object, then I'd have one of each brand because I dig motorsports toys. However, I don't have unlimited funds, so for ME, the Doo doesn't represent the best "value". For others out there, sledding may be their only passion, and choose to go full bore on it. Kudos to those. But I like a fast car, my Harley, holidays etc. So you can see by the dollars "saved", I can allocate those funds elsewhere, still have a real nice sled, and drive the car in the summer, and buy a few sets of rear tires for it because it's just damn fun burning them off :)

Last edited:

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
I like the idea of the mesh hood but how do they hold up to rolling the sled over in certain situations to get unstuck?

Premium Features