• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fix Kits!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C
Mar 2, 2011
Saskatchewan
Hello guys! Just wondering how the fix kits are running as I may end up buying one to freshen up my pro for next year!

What kit do you have?

What year is the sled the kit is installed on?

How well is the kit working for you?

Did you notice any power increase after being installed?

Do you have any other mods with the kit?

How many miles do you have on the kit?

Any other information that I have possibly forgot would be great!

Thanks guys!!

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
Indy dans topend kit is working great. The other fix kits don't do anything to reinforce the cylinder skirts. Its worth spending the 1000 to have have a complety new topend instead of just a kit that gives you new pistons

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
Kelsey, I take it that you have never seen a broken skirt. My friend has had 2 go, one under warranty and the last one he had to replace whole motor, out of his pocket

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Kelsey, I take it that you have never seen a broken skirt. My friend has had 2 go, one under warranty and the last one he had to replace whole motor, out of his pocket

No I have seen MANY broken skirts on these engines... But the problem is NOT the cylinder but the piston.. This is proven..

A thicker skirt is not a bad idea.. But CHOKING off air flow by welding the skirt area at the transfer duct inlets will always lose power... always..

No engine makes more power with less airflow than it had before.. So, beefing up the skirt to stop breakage (that can be fixed with a piston change) at the EXPENSE of lost air flow (read: less power) seems like not so good of an option. At least that is my opinion.. yours may vary...

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I would have to agree that IMO its not the cylinder shirt that's the problem. Yes.......they are breaking off, but why? It is because the piston is too loose and slapping around inside breaking off the cylinder skirts. I know, I had mine break and put a hole in my engine on my dragon. I still can't figure out why polaris runs out of spec cast pistons? Its crazy they are so loose!

dragonfire

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Fargo,N.D.
Hello guys! Just wondering how the fix kits are running as I may end up buying one to freshen up my pro for next year!

What kit do you have?

Thanks guys!!

I and a friend of mine both run the RKT drop in kit on our 2012 that had low miles on them. We have each put on over a thousand miles and are happy with the kit. The pistons are lighter and the motor does not vibrate at idle anymore, also the pistons are tighter in the bore and make good power. He also sells direct replacement pistons made from the same company to his specs for 375.00. This is just my experience as there are many ways to deal with this problem. Good Luck with your choice. I think anything is an improvement over stock.

Last edited:
C
Mar 2, 2011
Saskatchewan
I and a friend of mine both run the RKT drop in kit on our 2012 that had low miles on them. We have each put on over a thousand miles and are happy with the kit. The pistons are lighter and the motor does not vibrate at idle anymore, also the pistons are tighter in the bore and make good power. He also sells direct replacement pistons made from the same company to his specs for 375.00. This is just my experience as there are many ways to deal with this problem. Good Luck with your choice. I think anything is an improvement over stock.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Just curious as I have a 12.5 PAR head and don't want to have to buy another head but can you get the RKT kit without the head?

Also do those Direct replacement pistons address the issue causing the skirt to break?

dragonfire

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Fargo,N.D.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Just curious as I have a 12.5 PAR head and don't want to have to buy another head but can you get the RKT kit without the head?

Also do those Direct replacement pistons address the issue causing the skirt to break?

You have to run the RKT head with the drop in kit. The kit changes the port timing and adds power as I had to add 2 grams of weight to the clutch and took my RPMS from 8150 to 8350. That is a power increase. I would sell the PAR head and do the drop in kit,or keep your head and buy his direct replacement pistons and yes they do address the skirt breaking issue. Call Kelsey on this also. This is just my experience and opinion. Just some options.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--The pistons are cheaper and easier to replace out of pocket than new cylinders to match the pos oem pistons==either way you have to fill in the excessive tolerance

--Wossner pistons are among the best pistons available plus add the correct tolerances, matching, and machining

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Why are the pistons the problem. Who is to say that the pistons aren't ok and the cylinders are screwed up?
When you pull your pistons measure them, then measure your cylinder. Then, measure your new pistons (non-oem) and then you will see. Some with only a couple of hundred miles are seeing piston-to-cylinder clearances of .009" and greater. Look in your service manual and see what they are suppose to be. That's why its the pistons.

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
No I have seen MANY broken skirts on these engines... But the problem is NOT the cylinder but the piston.. This is proven..

A thicker skirt is not a bad idea.. But CHOKING off air flow by welding the skirt area at the transfer duct inlets will always lose power... always..

No engine makes more power with less airflow than it had before.. So, beefing up the skirt to stop breakage (that can be fixed with a piston change) at the EXPENSE of lost air flow (read: less power) seems like not so good of an option. At least that is my opinion.. yours may vary...[/QUOTE

So your telling me that indy dans motors are under powered?

S
Oct 16, 2008

No engine makes more power with less airflow than it had before.. So, beefing up the skirt to stop breakage (that can be fixed with a piston change) at the EXPENSE of lost air flow (read: less power) seems like not so good of an option. At least that is my opinion.. yours may vary...[/QUOTE

So your telling me that indy dans motors are under powered?

Are you running Dans "fix" ? If you are please answer some of the original posters questions to help him make an informed decision. If not don't derail the thread that some of us are interested in with another Dan V Kelsey arguement.

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
I do have dans motor, what questions are you referring too? I have about 1000 miles on dans motor, with a silber turbo running 10 of boost. Sea level to 4000ft. Its running great and I havent worried about engine failure all year. Its nice to have a warranty.

Last edited:
S
Oct 16, 2008

What kit do you have?

Thanks guys!!

These questions

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
If the problem was just the pistons, why wouldnt Polaris just design a new piston? Kelsey says he can prove it, so lets hear the proof. Stew, I brought up the fix that I am running. Kelsey is the one that is always coming on here questioning Dans fix.

C
Mar 2, 2011
Saskatchewan
Theres gotta be more people out there rinning these fix kits than this!! But if we could avoid the pissing match going on here that would be great! :focus:

Other than rk tec and Dans cylinder mod what other kits or options are out there?

Premium Features