• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spot

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
Nice...Thanks for the info.

I have heard on other forums rumors it doesnt work so well in Alaska. Im curious as it could be a great life saver. Im sure it would require getting to the tops of some of the hills, but thats to be expected.

Anybody with any first hand experience here in AK? I could care less what someone in Utah thinks about it, what about here?

Joe

R
Mar 6, 2008
There is a couple minute video of some Alaskan guys out riding when something went wrong.

Looks like a good culmination of technology, I think once it really hits mainstream the technology is going to start advancing rapidly. But its a good start in the right direction. Trackable location AND two way communication I think would be the next step.

This is the spot: http://www.findmespot.com/en/

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
Thanks for the link, I checked out the video, and it appears it works in the back country all right...

Im going to have to get me one of those..

Joe

D
Dec 4, 2007
SPOT Rescue Alert: Injured Snowmobiler Rescued From Remote Alaskan Backcountry

Snowmobile Accident Victim Rescued After SPOT Satellite Messenger Sends Distress Message and GPS Location; Wife Kept Informed and Updated on Rescue Progress

May 27, 2008 – SPOT Rescue Alert (SRA) Bill Hanson, a member of an experienced snowmobiling party out for some winter fun in the remote backcountry near Seward, Alaska, initiated a 9-1-1 rescue alert from his SPOT Satellite MessengerTM after two sleds collided head-on. Mr. Hanson’s friend was badly injured as result of the collision between the two, 480 pound machines approximately 150 miles from Anchorage.

The group realized that the man needed immediate medical attention and due to the severity of his injuries, they could not transport him on their own. Twenty-five miles from the nearest road, deep in Nellie Juan Canyon and without phone or radio service, Mr. Hanson initiated a 9-1-1 rescue alert from his SPOT Satellite Messenger, a personal safety device that allows users to communicate from remote locations around the globe and initiate emergency response calls independently of cellular networks

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
If you've got room

Hey Joe,
Been checking out the spot since I saw them at costco, I was interested in what satellite system they were using. Since this is what I do for a living. Check the following site if you would like more info.
Regards,
Mike
http://www.hikingideas.com/blogs/2007/9/3/Better+than+a+personal+locater+beacon+(PLB).aspx

Mike just got himself an 800REVX159 for Christmas. Ain't Christmas grand!!

Nice...Thanks for the info.

I have heard on other forums rumors it doesnt work so well in Alaska. Im curious as it could be a great life saver. Im sure it would require getting to the tops of some of the hills, but thats to be expected.

Anybody with any first hand experience here in AK? I could care less what someone in Utah thinks about it, what about here?

Joe

Dec 6, 2007
Palmer
AST SAR Report

Here is a press release from the Troopers last month:

Case number: 08-98241

Type: SAR

Synopsis: On 11/28/08, AST was notified by a call center in Texas that
a call for help had been received from a SPOT personal locator beacon,
and the call was originating from an isolated area of the Brooks Range.
The locator beacon was registered to David Roberts of Australia. The
Recue Coordination Center (RCC) in Anchorage was notified; they were
able to send a team by snow machine from Bettles, and an aircraft from
Anchorage. At about 1720 hours, RCC advised they had located the
subject, who had a campfire, but RCC could not land. They dropped a
radio to Roberts and he advised he was not in need of immediate help.
At 0130 hours on 11/29/08, RCC was able to land and brought Roberts to
Bettles. The following afternoon, Roberts was brought by RCC to Eielson
AFB in Fairbanks. Roberts suffered no injuries. He reportedly called
for help because his footwear had failed after extensive hiking, and he
was beginning to get frostbite.

Author: CJG0

Received Saturday, November 29, 2008 4:29 PM and posted Saturday, November 29, 2008 4:41 PM

E Detachment

Looks like it has worked when needed in AK. Great item for back country adventures for sure. Be safe out there and happy holidays!

N
Feb 13, 2008
Wasilla
SPOT coverage

A friend of mine is the Trail Boss for the Serum Run (800 mile dogsled/snowmachine trip from Nanana to Nome). They are going to try the SPOT units on the trail this year. SPOT operates on the Globestar Sat system, which from his experience, only gives you about 15 minutes of decent coverage per hour along the Yukon and the coast. He took a SPOT unit up to Trapper Creek the other day and found did post the location pretty much every 10 minutes in tracking mode but hit a dead spot between Willow and Takleetna where it wasn't able to get the message out.
So in places it may work fairly well, however you may find spotty coverage at times or in more areas with weaker coverage. (Globestar is suppose to be upgrading it's sat system over the next year or so, which should improve coverage.) If using it for 911 or help, I suspect your message will get out, it may just take an hour for Sat to line up.

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Well here are my thoughts on the 'SPOT'. If you are looking for an emergency communication device, you want something that will work all the time. And more importantly for me, an acknowledgement that your situation has actually been communicated to the needed services.
Get a Sat Phone guys, talk to a real person, know for certain that your emergency has been reported, be able to communicate the urgency of your situation and type of emergency.
Here's a thread to follow from some local outdoors folks with their personal experiences and testimonials. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=23783

The 'SPOT' is a low budget option, and definitely a 'better then nothing option'. But if you are really looking to be prepared for that emergency situation consider a Sat Phone.

A
Jan 24, 2008
Spot tracking device

HELLO FELLOW RIDERS

I am Bill Hanson the one that is on the video for spot. I am here to tell you that this devices works great not only for you out on the trail but also for the ones that are at home waiting for your return. We used spot out in a area by Seward last spring by the time other riders could get to the high way and get cell service to make the call to 911 when they got a hold of them 911 services told them that they already knew about the problem and help was on the way already. The guy that was injured was already flown out by the time the guys got back from the high way. I used the spot devices on a moose hunt this fall all the way from soldotna to the yukon river bridge and the 650 river miles down the yukon and up the koyukuk river to the dulbi river. My wife was at home for the trip we were able to check in every night and and keep it in track mode for the entire trip she followed us all along the highway system and down and up the rivers and back home. great tool to have in your pack. I have been to this companys home bass in texas where all of the behind the senes stuff takes place and it is a class A operation. It worked well for me when we were in a bind last year and also for just letting people know we were doing fine while a way for a 10 day hunt.

A
Dec 11, 2007
Remember guys, Even if you do have a Sat. phone we are not in a very human freindly environment.

If the emergency requires an immediate extraction, the RCC will dispatch rescue assets immediately, but their ability to actually perform the rescue can be jeopardized by weather or terrain. Even with that in mind it will still take a while for them to get there. Even a trip to turny can take as long as 45-60 minutes.

Anyways, be prepared to give first aid yourselves, and try not to put yourself in a jeopardizing situation in the first place. A Sat. phone may allow you to immediately gain voice contact with someone, yet the abiltiy of someone to get there will still take some time.

Do not let this give you false sense of security. Always carry some sort of basic survival kit, 1st aid, and communications device.

And ALWAYS let someone know where you are going!!!!

Be safe and ride another day!!!

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Well Said!!!

Remember guys, Even if you do have a Sat. phone we are not in a very human freindly environment.

If the emergency requires an immediate extraction, the RCC will dispatch rescue assets immediately, but their ability to actually perform the rescue can be jeopardized by weather or terrain. Even with that in mind it will still take a while for them to get there. Even a trip to turny can take as long as 45-60 minutes.

Anyways, be prepared to give first aid yourselves, and try not to put yourself in a jeopardizing situation in the first place. A Sat. phone may allow you to immediately gain voice contact with someone, yet the abiltiy of someone to get there will still take some time.

Do not let this give you false sense of security. Always carry some sort of basic survival kit, 1st aid, and communications device.

And ALWAYS let someone know where you are going!!!!

Be safe and ride another day!!!

Being prepared and conscious of your surroundings!! Excellent advice!!

A
Feb 23, 2008
I just got a SPOT for X-mass. I live in Big Lake. I have used the OK message here at my house on X-mass night when it was snowing. Worked great received the OK message in a few mins. Rode out on the trails/swamps between Big Lake and Nancy Lake. Sent 3 OK messages. All 3 were received. The Google Earth links looked pretty spot on to my locations i was at. Mabye 20ft off on one mark but still very close to my location. I cant wait to use it out in P ville and Eureka to see how it works. I also plan on using it in the summer time on my jet boat out on the Big Sue. I think being able to send my wife an I am OK message was the selling point to her. Sometimes I will stay out longer than she expects and with the SPOT she can rest knowing everything is OK.

Premium Features