• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Sidekick Auto, new Ascender model.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Good reminder. The Sidekick Auto doesn't tax the OEM systems so all maintenance intervals remain the same. Plugs, reeds, etc...
A turbo that requires the same maintenance as NA. Cool. Bs but cool.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Post a review if you get together, I have ridden the BD on the axys and was impressed. Im sure it took so time for BD to perform the R&D to get it spot on.

The axys sidekick first year was better than year 3 on the cat. It was sold to soon, lots and lots of 1st year issues.

As for doo, make sure I know when. I believe it would be worth while if they back it up

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
NOT an octane issue, 3 Boondocker Axys filled up at the same pump the cat did!!?? "Quote"

You are correct.
Last years Cat kit had some issues that were not octane related. We have a totally different tune this year that requires 100 octane. It is also NOT the low elevation / low octane kit. The new kit for the Cat this year is a high performance, 100 octane kit.

Just clarification on octane requirements for the Cat kit this year . Thanks!

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
So what about the people with the 18 kit how do they “upgrade” to the new tune?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
So is there no boondocker pump gas (91 octane) catckitvthis year? I hate screwing around trying to find race or av gas. Ran straight 91 pump the last two seasons on my axys and doo turbo kits.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I feel sorry for any of these bd reps, having to falsify make claims on a new kit without evidence.
" all new way different, way better, fixed old problems but added ton of new stuff..."
Then how would you know it's good to go if the public hasn't had it yet?

Don't get suckered in by claims.

Bd supports Polaris and makes claims on cats.

Just know your being their test dummy and it's by choice. Best of luck though.

How about a money bank guaranty, don't like it, send it back. Then I'd say game on.

HCR10

Premium Member
Jan 21, 2011
Draper UT
www.comfortchampions.com
I'm not one to say anything on these threads but I do wanna say this I have been on every year cat from 2010-18 and will be on a 19 alpha. Every sled has had a bd race gas kit and almost all have been amazing except my 18 cat it was horrible at first do to tuning and I hated it. But after taking the sled to boondocker and having Jared and Manny do their thing the sled ripped from bottom to top for 600 plus miles on 25/75 gas. So I do believe the 19 kit will be setup right out of the box just my 2 cents please dont bash on me for stating what my results were last year.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I'm not one to say anything on these threads but I do wanna say this I have been on every year cat from 2010-18 and will be on a 19 alpha. Every sled has had a bd race gas kit and almost all have been amazing except my 18 cat it was horrible at first do to tuning and I hated it. But after taking the sled to boondocker and having Jared and Manny do their thing the sled ripped from bottom to top for 600 plus miles on 25/75 gas. So I do believe the 19 kit will be setup right out of the box just my 2 cents please dont bash on me for stating what my results were last year.

We begged bd for tuning ability. I was willing to do it for free. Nope, had to take a few sleds a long way to just to get tuned. Sold as pull and go......boom

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
I got to back boondocker up on this. I had the very first one that came off production line and it ran great. starting issue but they soon resolved that. i called them at 505 and got a hold of Pete and drove down from island park to grab it. they had just released it. the online instructions werent even up. no instructions at all. So it took a little longer to install. went out and rode it the next day with no issues. other then starting. but found out i just had to pull the SOB like an old carb sled and yank the piss out of her and she would start. hats off to them it ran great. if someone is thinking of going for silber instead of them. needs to get there head examined because ive dealt with silber and the guy cant tune. my .02

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Any update on if the low elevation kit is around? curious as to why it won’t work at low elevation and if a higher octane would resolve this problem?!?

It's not an octane issue but an injector issue. The duty cycle is maxed out and unable to provide enough fuel with boost down low. A low elevation kit will be coming. We all understand the need.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
So what about the people with the 18 kit how do they “upgrade” to the new tune?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Call the office. They will hook you up with the new tune. People are referring to the earlier ST tune on a previous system being awesome!!! This is a similar tune. You will love it.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
So is there no boondocker pump gas (91 octane) catckitvthis year? I hate screwing around trying to find race or av gas. Ran straight 91 pump the last two seasons on my axys and doo turbo kits.

Not this season. We had to change the tune to a 100 octane tune this season in order to fine tune the 91 Sidekick. It is coming!

The 100 octane kit this your is an arm stretcher for sure. You will love it!

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Not this season. We had to change the tune to a 100 octane tune this season in order to fine tune the 91 Sidekick. It is coming!

The 100 octane kit this your is an arm stretcher for sure. You will love it!

Curious, how much boost is the 100 octane sled running? Why couldn't you boys just turn down boost? Hitting det even on low boost due to compression of the motor and what access you guys have to engine management>?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
It's not an octane issue but an injector issue. The duty cycle is maxed out and unable to provide enough fuel with boost down low. A low elevation kit will be coming. We all understand the need.

Why not just drop boost further to keep MAP the same even at lower elevation? Wastegate problem or injector problem?

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Why not just drop boost further to keep MAP the same even at lower elevation? Wastegate problem or injector problem?

Hi there JJ,

Our new F47 turbocharger has a larger wastegate allowing for a lower baseline and better all around boost control. We are refining future Sidekick models to improve the low elevation function. This year for the Cat, we chose to release a tune that is excellent, but requires more octane, rather that have a long delayed release for 91 octane. They will be overlapping later this year.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Hi there JJ,

Our new F47 turbocharger has a larger wastegate allowing for a lower baseline and better all around boost control. We are refining future Sidekick models to improve the low elevation function. This year for the Cat, we chose to release a tune that is excellent, but requires more octane, rather that have a long delayed release for 91 octane. They will be overlapping later this year.

I still don't understand how the tune requires more octane if you have a higher flowing wastegate? What am I missing? Shouldn't you be bale to just drop boost to be able to have a lower octane setup?

Guess my question really is how low-boost is this new turbo able to go?

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
The new F47 and larger waste gate allows for a pretty low baseline and control which will benefit all 91 octane Sidekicks, yes. The Cat release this year requiring a 50/50 mix is unique to the Cat only. It is a timing limitation. This will be further developed to provide the Cat community with a 91 octane kit soon.

Last edited:
Premium Features