• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2006 600 HO's blowing black suit all over the snow?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok, I'm getting an early start so I don't get caught with my pants down like I did last winter. First order of business is fixing my parents two 600 HO's...

I cannot for the life of me figure out why, since these sleds were new, they blow black suit on the snow.

If you let them sit there and idle for 15 seconds a big black mark on the snow is visible.

It pains me that in 2006 with all our riding areas on the line Polaris releases a sled that does this. My 1999 700 does not do this, nor does my 900 ....

What gives on the 600's? Is this something I can easily fix?

My dad took them back to the dealer once about it already, but go figure, nothing changed...

Anyone else have this problem and fix it? :)

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
I installed 40 pilot jets on my '08 and it helped out a bit, thinking to drop them down again. I know this is against what Polaris thinks, but they also thought the PERC needs those 50 pilots to work. The oiler must be pig rich at idle, dunno for sure though.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
We found that the air jet in the back of the carb was too rich.

Stock air jet was a .06

We found that we could clean up the bottom end considerably by running a 1.0 or 1.1 air jet.

Another thing to check is choke freeplay. We found alot of units with chokes too tight.

Hope this helps.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
So by going to a 1.0 air jet that should lean the bottom end out ... how does that effect top end?

You all are going to have to forgive me, I've been messing with 4-stroke carbureators the last year or so on my quad, I haven't ever torn into a 2-stroke carb :)

These sleds are typically ridden at 7,500-11,000 feet if that provides any more information ...

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
SuperDave typed in "rich" with association to that air needle jet but what he meant was that it is TOO SMALL at .06 and therefore your idle condition (which is all that nozzle does) results in a rich idle condition when run in combination to the fuel screw adjustment dials and the 50 fuel pilot nozzle. He is also right on the money with the choke adjustment. The choke setting at any level from full off will dramatically effect response. The difficult situation is that the system fools you into thinking it's lean and requires fuel by choking but it's actually correct on fuel volume with .40 pilot...3/4 turn out...(600cc) but requires more air at .9 and 1.0 depending on other conditions. Remember choke must be completely off or airflow max or it changes everything.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
On all of mine there is a starting sequence but the small block has such an easy pull that it's no problem to pull seated with your right hand and reach across to crack the throttle ever so slightly with your left. ONE PULL almost always but never more then two.

TRY THIS: When the engine is cold...slowly and easily pull your starter rope once too full out...release and set choke to half...flick and release throttle a couple times doubt this does anything but it's habit might keep you from dealing with a run away)...pull the cord with no throttle starts right up. After it's warm and you shut it down then I crack the throttle slightly and they start right up with a weak to moderate short one arm pull.

One EXCUSE I got on the carb change for 07-08 was that there were reports of hard starting on the 600. Don't buy it...properly setup and educated with the above starting sequence they pull over easy and start with one tug all day everyday. I like the carb performance of the 02-06 SB's.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I guess I need to re-visit this topic.

What would be the effect of switching over to a 1.0 or 1.1 air jet and leaving all other adjustments the same?

Going to a larger air jet allows more air in only at idle and has no effect off idle?

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Choke on, no throttle; pull to start; choke off; set gauge to read engine temperature, idle to no more than 90 degrees and shut off till ready to ride. I adopted this practice and I do not have issues anymore. I accepted the fact that the sled does not like to idle. Changed to V-Force reeds and installed the $180 drive belt to top things off. Pure Bliss.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Change the pilot jet, the 07's came with a 50 pilot, changed mine to 40. Cleaned up the idle circuit and even gave better mileage. Pretty close to my dad's 800xp for mileage, very pleased.

Carbs2.jpg

Hope this helps...

B
Sep 21, 2004
I guess I need to re-visit this topic.

What would be the effect of switching over to a 1.0 or 1.1 air jet and leaving all other adjustments the same?

Going to a larger air jet allows more air in only at idle and has no effect off idle?

This is a correct assumption, it leans out the idle mixture by introducing more air to the same amount of metered fuel. This jet will not effect any other section of the fuel circuit as illustrated in the nice diagram above in the post.

What F-Bomb is stating is simple, by doing the describe resolution, you may see a condition that appears to be "hard start" meaning when warm, you will have to blip the throttle when pulling the rope. With it fat (stock) , you will not typically need to do this and therefore after doing the adjustment a perceived hard start condition may be the result. That is all............

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
Anyone have a part number for the 1.0 air jet? My dealer is clueless. Has anyone had to make an oil pump adjustment on these? Does the 1.0 air jet work with the SLP airbox kit?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I guess I don't see what size a "1.0" or a "1.1" air jet is....

I thought jets were sized 30,50,165,170, etc? At least unless you were talking about a dynojet jet kit?

What jetting would you guys recommend for a bone stock 2006 600 HO RMK for 8,000-12,000 feet?

B
Sep 21, 2004
Jets

I guess I don't see what size a "1.0" or a "1.1" air jet is....

I thought jets were sized 30,50,165,170, etc? At least unless you were talking about a dynojet jet kit?

What jetting would you guys recommend for a bone stock 2006 600 HO RMK for 8,000-12,000 feet?

DOGMEAT....the 0.6 jet from the factory is in the very front of the carb face. It almost looks like a brass screw at about the 4 or 5 o'clock position as you look at it head on. This is the section that sticks through the carb seals on the airbox assembly facing the steering post. Do this 1st and worry about the pilots and mains later.....the dealer has proably already set this up for you already.

Premium Features