• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tuning a clutch to hold backshift??

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
Looking for a little education on clutch springs.

1. What is the difference in the clutch springs numbers?
Primary 160/320 vs. 160/380?
Secondary 231/303 vs. 157/221
The secondary really baffles me?

2.If I have a sled that starts out at 7900rpm at the bottom of the hill and falls to 7500rpm toward the top of the hill what would be the proper adjustment?

Thanks.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
im no expert but i believe you cant start drastically changing rates without adjusting helix angles. you can gain a quicker backshift with a higher secondary finish rate but it may come at the expense of a slower upshift and belt temps without adjusting helix angles. maybe try dropping a tooth on your top gear first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
So I have been wondering if my sled could gain a little performance through my clutches so I decided to take another member's advice and run his springs and clutch set up. He runs the same helix and ramps as me, but both of his springs are different.

I swaped to his spring set up and went for a ride. In clicker 3 the best rpm I could get was 7900, so I know I need to pull a little weight out. Didn't seam to have as much bottom end, but it did seam like I had more track speed in the middle of the hill at 6500ft elevation. It held it's rpm all the way up the hill. When I got to 8500-9000ft, I climbed a long hill and the rpm's droped from 7900 at the bottom to 7400 at the top at wot just turning out. Then when I went down to the lower elevation it went back to holding the r's and running hard all the way up the hills.

I am just experimenting to see if I can find a little more performance out of my sled. Any other advice or comments are welcome. Thanks.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
You need to make 1 phone call to John @ Sledhead racing.

Save yourself a lot of time @ $$

Call someone that has been riding, racing, tuning and modifying Ski Doos for over 20 years.

Too much information to put it in a post.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
So I have been wondering if my sled could gain a little performance through my clutches so I decided to take another member's advice and run his springs and clutch set up. He runs the same helix and ramps as me, but both of his springs are different.

I swaped to his spring set up and went for a ride. In clicker 3 the best rpm I could get was 7900, so I know I need to pull a little weight out. Didn't seam to have as much bottom end, but it did seam like I had more track speed in the middle of the hill at 6500ft elevation. It held it's rpm all the way up the hill. When I got to 8500-9000ft, I climbed a long hill and the rpm's droped from 7900 at the bottom to 7400 at the top at wot just turning out. Then when I went down to the lower elevation it went back to holding the r's and running hard all the way up the hills.

I am just experimenting to see if I can find a little more performance out of my sled. Any other advice or comments are welcome. Thanks.

first off...try clicker #4 or even #5...the 441 ramp is extremely aggressive (wont over rev)...as you go UP you lose HP/RPM and the clicker is the easiest way to maintain RPM for the loss of HP...BJ

*assuming all other parameters are good

R
Nov 17, 2012
Rexburg Idaho
If you want a quicker backshift (hold rpms) I would go with a stiffer secondary spring would help alot, your up shift will be a little bit slower but in a mountain sled backshift is more impotant

Last edited:
Premium Features