• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Deluxe Gauge Software Reflash

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I'm at the point in my project that I can pin down the final list features for the gauge software I've been working on for the last 9 and half months or so. The software will work with the deluxe gauges for the 800, 1100, and 1100T (including Z1 and Z1 Turbos). The software I've created retains all of the features of the stock gauge in addition to the following:

1) 4 minutes of data logging. Right now you can record up to 48 seconds of data in 5 slots (I may reduce the number of slots that can be recorded in to increase the record time).
2) Playback recorded data on the gauge's display at several different speeds.
3) Display the engine coolant temperature on the upper or center digits of the gauge.
4) Display the air intake temperature on the upper or center digits of the gauge.
5) Display the fuel level as a percentage on the gauge's display.
6) Change between 7 different configurations of data being displayed by pressing a single
button (each configuration allows you to set what you want the needle, upper, and center
displays to show).
7) Define a coolant temperature that will override whatever is currently displayed and show a
warning while flashing the lights of the gauge.
8) Ability to hide ECU codes that are being thrown so that other data can be displayed while the
sled is throwing an ECU code.
9) Accurate odometer that can be further calibrated for enhanced accuracy or drive ratio
changes.
10) 3 user resettable trip odometers.
11) 3 automatic trips (the first automatic trip is reset every time the sled is start, the second contains the previous value of the first, and the third contains the previous value of the second).
12) Ability to save the value of an automatic trip into the user resettable trips (so if you forget to reset the trip at a gas station you can still do so afterward up to 2 restarts of the sled later).
13) A more accurate fuel gauge than the stock gauge's software.
14) Stores maxes of all of the data, including coolant and intake temperatures.
15) Stores max values of various data that are reset whenever the sled begins moving again (maxes for the last "run").
16) The fuel gauge can be calibrated by the user through the gauge's interface.
17) A consistent menu driven interface that allows the user to find features, perform calibration, and change the settings of the gauge without consulting a manual.

Mid next month I will be creating a website that links to videos on how to use the various features of the gauge. At this point I'm about 2-3 months from completion of the software, but even now the gauge is completely usable (things like the clock, the slow playback of data, and final testing is left, with final testing taking up much of that time).

My current plan is to reflash 5 or so people's gauges at the beginning of November (mainly mountain rides who actually ride in November). These people will get the gauge software for half price along with paid shipping of the gauge back and forth to fix any bugs. If there is someone who rides their sled before November and would like to beta test let me know and you'll get the gauge reflashed for free (including paid shipping).

At the beginning of December I will start reflashing the gauges of people who sign up on a first come first server basis. I will ensure that when someone sends the gauge in, it is reflashed and mailed back the day it arrives (in other words there may be a queue of people waiting to send their gauge in). For people who have their gauge reflashed in December and January they will have their gauge reflashed again for free at the end of the season (shipping paid by me) for minor bugs. If there are major bugs it will be reflashed for free as soon as they send it in and a fix is created by me (with shipping paid by me).

I am starting on the piggy back controller that will display the following on the stock gauge's display:
-Boost (on 1100T)
-Ignition Timing (all engines)
-Exhaust Temperature (800)
-AFR (will be about $100 extra and work on all engine types).

I will have more details on the piggy back controller in a couple months when I have the design more nailed down. The piggy back controller will be available starting in December at the same time I start reflashing gauges on a first come first server basis. It will be a separate and optional purchase and will require some basic wire splicing to install.

Ill Named

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Count me in. I want the piggy back controller though. So I'll wait until that is complete. Thanks

S
Jan 28, 2011
Upper Peninsula
I'm at the point in my project that I can pin down the final list features for the gauge software I've been working on for the last 9 and half months or so. The software will work with the deluxe gauges for the 800, 1100, and 1100T (including Z1 and Z1 Turbos). The software I've created retains all of the features of the stock gauge in addition to the following:

1) 4 minutes of data logging. Right now you can record up to 48 seconds of data in 5 slots (I may reduce the number of slots that can be recorded in to increase the record time).
2) Playback recorded data on the gauge's display at several different speeds.
3) Display the engine coolant temperature on the upper or center digits of the gauge.
4) Display the air intake temperature on the upper or center digits of the gauge.
5) Display the fuel level as a percentage on the gauge's display.
6) Change between 7 different configurations of data being displayed by pressing a single
button (each configuration allows you to set what you want the needle, upper, and center
displays to show).
7) Define a coolant temperature that will override whatever is currently displayed and show a
warning while flashing the lights of the gauge.
8) Ability to hide ECU codes that are being thrown so that other data can be displayed while the
sled is throwing an ECU code.
9) Accurate odometer that can be further calibrated for enhanced accuracy or drive ratio
changes.
10) 3 user resettable trip odometers.
11) 3 automatic trips (the first automatic trip is reset every time the sled is start, the second contains the previous value of the first, and the third contains the previous value of the second).
12) Ability to save the value of an automatic trip into the user resettable trips (so if you forget to reset the trip at a gas station you can still do so afterward up to 2 restarts of the sled later).
13) A more accurate fuel gauge than the stock gauge's software.
14) Stores maxes of all of the data, including coolant and intake temperatures.
15) Stores max values of various data that are reset whenever the sled begins moving again (maxes for the last "run").
16) The fuel gauge can be calibrated by the user through the gauge's interface.
17) A consistent menu driven interface that allows the user to find features, perform calibration, and change the settings of the gauge without consulting a manual.

Mid next month I will be creating a website that links to videos on how to use the various features of the gauge. At this point I'm about 2-3 months from completion of the software, but even now the gauge is completely usable (things like the clock, the slow playback of data, and final testing is left, with final testing taking up much of that time).

My current plan is to reflash 5 or so people's gauges at the beginning of November (mainly mountain rides who actually ride in November). These people will get the gauge software for half price along with paid shipping of the gauge back and forth to fix any bugs. If there is someone who rides their sled before November and would like to beta test let me know and you'll get the gauge reflashed for free (including paid shipping).

At the beginning of December I will start reflashing the gauges of people who sign up on a first come first server basis. I will ensure that when someone sends the gauge in, it is reflashed and mailed back the day it arrives (in other words there may be a queue of people waiting to send their gauge in). For people who have their gauge reflashed in December and January they will have their gauge reflashed again for free at the end of the season (shipping paid by me) for minor bugs. If there are major bugs it will be reflashed for free as soon as they send it in and a fix is created by me (with shipping paid by me).

I am starting on the piggy back controller that will display the following on the stock gauge's display:
-Boost (on 1100T)
-Ignition Timing (all engines)
-Exhaust Temperature (800)
-AFR (will be about $100 extra and work on all engine types).

I will have more details on the piggy back controller in a couple months when I have the design more nailed down. The piggy back controller will be available starting in December at the same time I start reflashing gauges on a first come first server basis. It will be a separate and optional purchase and will require some basic wire splicing to install.

I usually ride in december as Houghton, MI gets snow early and snow hard due to lake effect. I am a back country/woods rider (powder of course, fun starts where the trail ends) but also do ride some trails with family.

I too would be interested in the piggyback controller BUT would be willing to beta test.

Thanks, Brad.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
The new gauge software and tools needed to reflash gauges without busting out a soldering iron are finished. I have someone with a ATV powered by an 1100T that will be testing later this week, but the sooner I have someone testing with an actual sled the better.

I'm looking for someone who is riding in the next week or two, resides within the contentential US for shipping purposes, and willing to beta test in exchange for getting the reflash for free. If interested send me a PM and I'll provide more details about what this would entail.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I've sent out one gauge for beta testing already, and will be sending another out later this week. At the moment the number of beta testers is limited by the number of gauges I have since I cannot return a gauge to stock software and don't want to reflash other people's gauges until at least some on the snow testing as happened. In a couple weeks I will be seeking additional beta testers that are willing to have their gauge reflashed, and around Christmas I should start accepting orders.

In addition, I finally got around to setting up a website. It's about about 1/5 to 1/4 complete, but it contains a lot of information and a few videos. Over the next week or so I'm hoping to finish the website. There will hopefully be a video covering each feature by the time I'm done.

Here's the site:
Deluxe Gauge Software Reflash

shadow conspiracy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Quesnel, B.C.
Im sure enough people have replied back to you to test this out for ya but if your looking for more id be more than happy to have this. Only problem is I am in Canada.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I have enough testers for the first phase of the beta testing, which is happening on gauges I own. In a couple weeks I will start flashing other people's gauges for additional testing. I think I have enough people on that list now as well. Thanks for the interest, it is very encouraging! :D

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
I have enough testers for the first phase of the beta testing, which is happening on gauges I own. In a couple weeks I will start flashing other people's gauges for additional testing. I think I have enough people on that list now as well. Thanks for the interest, it is very encouraging! :D

izzni how about an update on how testing is going or some feedback from some of your testers i know me and at least 3 other buddies are waiting for you to get this up and going.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
izzni how about an update on how testing is going or some feedback from some of your testers i know me and at least 3 other buddies are waiting for you to get this up and going.

First round of initial beta testing went well. Only a single problem was identified, which involved the engine temp, intake temp, and altitude not showing correctly on the 800s. Over the last week I fixed that issue and finished the data recording/logging functionality. I'm sending a couple gauges out tomorrow for another round of testing on gauges that I own next weekend (Racinstation is one of the testers).

The tester reported the fuel gauge dropped nice and consistently. He has a trail tank, so the fuel levels weren't very accurate for him since he hasn't calibrated it yet. For the stock fuel tank I was out in the garage re-calibrating about an hour ago.

Over the next day or two I will be posting a couple more videos on how the data recording/playback works, and a few more of the other features.

If testing goes well this coming weekend I will likely offer a special early adopter price. You can expect an update about that either Monday or Tuesday of next week (9th or 10th of Dec).

I've started working on the piggy back controller for those interested in boost, AFR, and exhaust temp. In 2 to 3 weeks there will be videos and more details on that. That won't be available until early January most likely.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Guys:

I can tell you, Stephan knows this stuff better than the supplier of those gauges to Cat knows them.

The thought that went into this is unbelievable. I sat on my deck for two hours this summer sipping a few beers as Stephan showed me how the gauge works. Simply amazing.

BTW: Stephan, I am taking a trip to Island PArk for Christmas, if you still need testing done, you know where I live.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
will this mod work on the old m series deluxe gauge as well?

Yep. The deluxe gauges are all the same except for the software on them. The LCD screens are more yellow than the newer ones, but otherwise the hardware is the same.

Non-procross sleds need different speed calibration and fuel gauge calibration, but other than that, the reflash will work on them.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
The reflash was on 3 sleds this last weekend (including my own), and none of the testers were able to find any unknown problems (altitude on the 800s won't be working until later this week). All of the testers, including myself, were impressed with it. I frankly was surprised at how well the fuel gauge worked, and that I couldn't find any problems (my testing hardware must work pretty well I guess).

In anycase, the reflash is now available for the 1100s. It will be ready for the 800s later this week. The Optional Piggyback Controller that shows boost and AFR is still on track to be available early next month (ordered the long lead time parts this morning).

For more information, or to buy the reflash check out the website at www.NextStageGauges.com

Last edited:
Premium Features