• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

700cc White Smoke and Brown Sludge

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
I just finished everything on my sled, every last thing, and i start it to load it on my truck. And right when it starts exhaust is clean. But right when it warms up the exhaust smoke starts turning white. I took the plugs off and they are wet. When i started it a couple weeks ago there exhaust wasn't white at all, just the normal 2 stroke smoke. And where the exhaust is on the sled, it drips a chocolate milk colored sludge...

What is the most common seal to go? inner head o-ring? Or base gasket? I hope it's not the case seal. I don't want to pull the engine again, the season is just beginning.

Thanks for reading!

:faint:

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Smoke

White smoke sounds like coolant in the combustion. Coolant and oil mix will give you the chocolate milk looking stuff. Sorry to say it sounds like head gasket O rings to me. Somewhere you are getting coolant where it should not be. I am thinking that maybe it is an O ring. Maybe popped out of the groove in a spot. When the sled heats up and the coolant starts circulating under pressire it runs a little past the ring.

Last edited:
I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
I will buy two inner o-rings and try that. Why would the o-ring screw up like that? I've only ridden the sled 2 times after i replaced the o-rings. Started the sled every two weeks during the summer with no white smoke. I'm fine with fixing the leak, but that's not fixing the problem if it happens again.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
O ring

I would hope that when I take off the head I see that the o ring has been flattened from coming out of the groove. If not you may have bigger problems. Crack in the jug or head would be bad, Maybe you got a small piece of something between the head and jug and the surfaces didn't mate right. Possible the head or jug surface is not flat and has a little warp. Be sure and check them with a straight edge as they do warp a little sometimes. A good machine shop can true them up if need be. Make sure you torque the head bolts in a pattern and to the right specs. After that I am not sure where you need to go. I also would not be thrilled if there was a lot of coolant in the crank case. That should be be cleaned out if it is there. All this is just speculation on my part. Hope it is something simple.

Last edited:
Premium Features