• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

C Tec

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I'm not even sure why I'm asking this other than its a random thought that annoys me every time I read something relating to it.
What is so incredible about this C Tec engine? What is wrong with the one that's not broken? Is is just a cool acronym for an engine. Reminds me of something displayed on the back of a Civic or Accord.
Carry on!

Sent from my telephone

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I don't need a new engine either, BUT the Ctec 600 weighs at least 10 pounds less than old 600, any weight removed from from of pro climb is a win win

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I don't need a new engine either, BUT the Ctec 600 weighs at least 10 pounds less than old 600, any weight removed from from of pro climb is a win win

That is one of the biggest weight penalties between the Poo and Cat. People don't realize that the Cat motor weighs close to 20 pounds more than the Poo motor. The Cat motor is stout. It's why it holds up so well to big bores and turbos.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
C tec

I have to wonder if the new c tec motor is going to be an 800 or is going to be bigger.
I have no idea what size it'll be but I have to wonder why it didn't come out in 2016 and now in 2017.

My bet is bigger???? 850 860 900 925 950
I hope it's bigger and somewhere between 170-180 HP

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I have to wonder if the new c tec motor is going to be an 800 or is going to be bigger.

I have no idea what size it'll be but I have to wonder why it didn't come out in 2016 and now in 2017.

Interesting!

Sent from my telephone

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA

I wouldn't be holding my breath for something bigger based on the recent releases. Doesn't the CTEC just more about a cleaner burning motor to meet the new emissions standards??? Probably expect less hp would be the safer bet.
Of course I hope for better out of Cat in the next year but.......

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I wouldn't be holding my breath for something bigger based on the recent releases. Doesn't the CTEC just more about a cleaner burning motor to meet the new emissions standards??? Probably expect less hp would be the safer bet.

Of course I hope for better out of Cat in the next year but.......

That was my first thought. More emissions on my diesel trucks nets way less efficiency and power.

Sent from my telephone

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
If you compare the old 600 to the C-tec that replaced it. It's lighter, more powerful, better fuel economy, smoother, cleaner emissions and better oil economy. A win for everyone. The C-tec runs super strong. Last spring after the dealer show we got the new green ltd M8 and did a demo ride out of a parking lot at one of the local riding areas. Two guys came by on two Paris 800 pros and wanted to ride the new sled. It was out on a ride so we gave them the M6000 to ride. Didn't tell them it was a 600, just gave it to them and said give this one a try. They came back excited how strong the "new 800" ran compared to their 800 pros. They were shocked and didn't believe us it was a 100% stock 600 with clutching. If the C-tec 800 runs that good, I want one.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
You guys will be very pleased when the new 800 is released. It was being tested in Cooke last spring; rumor is it pulls hard on the suz motor. But you didn't hear that from me.....:face-icon-small-hap

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
It’s safe to say that most of us were expecting a new 800 C-TEC2 engine. When Arctic Cat unveiled the new sleds to journalists last month, Snowmobile GM Brad Darling shared with the crew info that a change in vendor for a certain engine component last spring (one year ago), meant that Arctic Cat needed to go through another full season of validation testing of the new-vendor-supplied part.

As it turns out, testing of that part this winter has shown that it meets all validation protocols. But given the timing of when companies have to order production parts to build engines, Cat would have had to commit to the new engine before testing commenced this winter. Which is a gamble company leadership (smartly) didn’t take.

That means one final year with a tried, true and entirely competitive Suzuki 800 engine that will run with anything in its class and is satisfyingly bulletproof.

I fully acknowledge peoples’ disappointment. Hell, I’m disappointed. But I far prefer another year with the Suzuki engine rather than Cat having gone all-in on the new engine without confirming the newly supplied part.

It was a safe, smart decision on the part of the company.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The C Tec will be cleaner and have more power. What about a choice? I think that if Cat kept the Proclimb chassis for 2018 in a basic black sled with the same Suzuki 800 motor and had it stripped down at say $11,999 I think they would sell a bunch of them and then have the new 800 in the new chassis for the guys that have to have the latest and greatest. I know the guys that I talk to on rentals sure like to have the Suzuki motor to depend on and most of them have a lot of parts on hand. I would like to see more transition from the manufacturers rather than just a complete stop on a certain chassis. I can tell you if they would have offered the M chassis in a limited number for 2012 they would have sold out.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
That is one of the biggest weight penalties between the Poo and Cat. People don't realize that the Cat motor weighs close to 20 pounds more than the Poo motor. The Cat motor is stout. It's why it holds up so well to big bores and turbos.

This may be just me, but I'll take that weight penalty over poo unreliability any day

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
I can tell you if they would have offered the M chassis in a limited number for 2012 they would have sold out.

Bingo

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
This may be just me, but I'll take that weight penalty over poo unreliability any day

I have said that for years. If I can get a Cat within 20lbs of a Polaris I am happy. I want bullet proof motors and you can mod the Zuki for big power. Put on a big bore and have 200hp. Although I do like the Polaris as far as boost with the new kits like Silber has.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I don't know, I guess.....on all of this. Ok, so it's lighter and it's cleaner and maybe it will be more powerful. I'm just quite happy with the 4 cats I've had since 08. I've only put in oil and gas. I've never even changed a plug. Maybe I'll enjoy the the efficiency and the probable lighter weight and the possible more power. We'll see!

Sent from my telephone

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I believe that the Ctec 800 would indeed be ready for 2017, but there is something to be said with the release of 2017 sleds that makes you wonder if they are protecting their dealers that are sitting on a lot of sleds right now, West coast to East coast. Kinda reminds me of the lackluster 2011 release pre new chassis in 2012. I imagine they will continue good incentives again this fall for carryover inventory ( which I think the 2016 sleds look better from an aesthetics standpoint), and possibly release a limited ctec 800 at hay days, maybe in the Roger Skime edition to compliment the 6000 release for that sled?

I like racin stations idea of keeping the Zuki around, maybe for the 2018 "SE" sleds, giving consumers a lower cost option for the mountain segment if they still have an allocation of zuki's to get through.

-Stack

Premium Features