• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha Broke Down Again

C
Apr 12, 2009
Lehi, UT
Rode all day Friday and sled ran great. Made my last pull to get back to the trail and temp light came on. Checked the coolant and was completely gone. Started filling with all the water I had but just ran right out near the chain case cover. It has to be something with the heat exchanger but there is no visual damage or leaks at the front.

Second time at the dealer in 200 miles with fuel pump being the other. I have been riding Polaris and they have been bulletproof compared to this POS.

Has anyone else had similar issues??

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
So water is “running out by the chaincase cover”, but you can’t figure out exactly what the problem is to fix it and get back on the snow? Sounds like you should take up knitting.

C
Apr 12, 2009
Lehi, UT
Was lucky to get out the last drainage and be in an area with trails. I’ve had good luck in the past because 80% of the places Im sure most of us ride are fix onsite because there is no way you’re towing out. Might have to stick with knitting with cat reliability so far....

Not going to tear into with 4 yr warranty myself but we will see

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
Sounds like a pretty nasty predicament. But at least if its still there (i.e. not in a pile of avy debris at the bottom of some chute) I'm sure you'll figure a way to get out and ride it home. The way you brought it up it sounded mechanical, but at least that's not the issue. Good luck and be safe.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I have never heard of a sled leaking fluid... Insert sarcasm.

In all honesty though I have never seen a sled leak coolant without a hole in the heat exchanger. What I have seen is POO 850s leaking oil into the belly pan when they pop oil lines off and unfortunately there is no warning light that lets you know before your engine goes boom when that happens so I hope you are watching it close. It is almost comical watching all my buddies stop and check all their hoses every time they shut the sled off. Sounds like a fun way to ride to me... Insert more sarcasm.

Hopefully you find your leak and can get it resolved. Nobody likes having issues. Sounds like you had a very very lucky 5 years and were due for some bad luck regardless of brand. The odds are in your favor for not having anymore issues though. Nothing but smiles from all the Alpha riders I have been around.

S

Shred4Ever

Nov 2, 2013
Ya I’m waiting on fuel pump as well... I had to chopper mine out.:face-icon-small-fro
Recoil on BO for 2 months .. FML

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
All of these back ordered parts is pretty ridiculous. Been waiting two weeks for a couple of running board parts

FOR SURE!!! Something is going on there. Seems like every part you need is on back order from cat. Never been like that before. I know Doo is having similar issues. Buddy was waiting 6 weeks for a stator and another buddy been 7 weeks waiting for an engine. Doo claims they are having issues getting parts across the borders. Not sure. Super irritating with cat though.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I feel just in time manufacturing schemes are a big issue with parts these days. Not just for sleds, I see it everywhere. Keep a minimal amount of product on hand and it reduces money tied up in inventory and space to house it. I've had a buddy wait 3 weeks for a throttle housing and 4 weeks for a motor from Polaris. Both on warranty and he even worked at the dealership at the time. Just something we seem to have to deal with these days.

To the OP: did you look at the motor mount that's welded to the front of the cooler on the MAG side? I remember seeing a few of those let go when the proclimb chassis came out.

Last edited:

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
I just fully scattered the motor in my alpha yesterday at around 1200 miles. Top end is locked up and sounded like a rod came through the bottom of the case. Very lucky I was above a drainage that tied back into the trail so we could tow it downhill and out as the snow was deep AF.

One of the main reasons I ditched the G4 was because Of the down time waiting for parts every time something blew on my 850. I sure hope cat has a new motor in stock for me

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Tariffs and gov shutdown/slowdown impact stuff crossing borders - supply chains don't perform well when external influences drop in and out. Just shining some light on the mystery...

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
I just fully scattered the motor in my alpha yesterday at around 1200 miles. Top end is locked up and sounded like a rod came through the bottom of the case. Very lucky I was above a drainage that tied back into the trail so we could tow it downhill and out as the snow was deep AF.

One of the main reasons I ditched the G4 was because Of the down time waiting for parts every time something blew on my 850. I sure hope cat has a new motor in stock for me
What happened?, Was it stock or boosted?

Premium Features