• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MOTOTRAX FIXES tips and tricks

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
^nice mods!^

I tried my rubber egg bumper yesterday and it worked well. I know it was hitting a lot as I was popping over bumps and trying to land on the back and carry the ski a little. When I got back it had created a perfect polished ice button on the bolt head where it was impacting the rubber snubber. Kinda neat. However my aluminum bushing is also egging out HARD after only like 3 rides. So, that needs a better solution.

there releasing a new poly bushing for slider and a spring for the lower side of the slider here real soon. that will help with a few things for sure. I still thing a rubber bumper on top side of slider is important too. They will get things worked out im sure of it. yes it sucks we have to pay the price but we bought first year stuff. If your not a total *** to them they are very helpful too. I am happy to see all of our engineers out there too good work guys. gotta love the sport because its very trying.

W
Feb 23, 2009
Food for Thought

One thing to remember about the snow bike industry is it is very young. Back when snowmobiles and motorcycles were new they weren't all that reliable either. I'm not making excuses for MT but if they treat this years buyers right they can save a portion of their reputation. There is obviously flaws in the design and they should work with the customers to remedy them and keep an open mind to customer recommendations and not just right them off as inferior intellect.

Perhaps a good solution would be to have the upgrades for next year sold to this years customers at the price difference from this year to next year's model.

I've been frustrated with these issues also, but I'm used to modifying snowmobiles to make them better and more reliable too. So it's not all that uncommon to me.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
One thing to remember about the snow bike industry is it is very young. Back when snowmobiles and motorcycles were new they weren't all that reliable either. I'm not making excuses for MT but if they treat this years buyers right they can save a portion of their reputation. There is obviously flaws in the design and they should work with the customers to remedy them and keep an open mind to customer recommendations and not just right them off as inferior intellect.

Perhaps a good solution would be to have the upgrades for next year sold to this years customers at the price difference from this year to next year's model.

I've been frustrated with these issues also, but I'm used to modifying snowmobiles to make them better and more reliable too. So it's not all that uncommon to me.

Truer words were never spoken

jbmilek

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Here are my ski alterations: After testing this new setup today, I can say that this machine is way more fun to ride. Trail handling improved significantly (my shoulders aren't sore from fighting it on the trail); off trail bite is much improved. I can now lay into turns without the front end washing out both on twistys and powder. Riding confidence went way up today and riding fatigue went way down. I also added rubber bumpers to the rear slider which seemed to smooth the out the clunk when hitting moguls.

Removed the two rear spindle bracket bolts, rotated the spindle rearward and drilled new holes. This has moved the spindle bolt to trail the axle by 2". I think that this is the main reason for the better trail manners. You will need to shim the ski rubber to keep the nose of the ski from pointing down. This mod will also lower the overall height of the front end and so I had to shorten my strut rod to level the bike back out.

picture.php

Added 4" skaggs to each edge and added a double runner in the middle. This has added some more (small amount on packed snow) steering effort but has also doubled my confidence on trail and powder turns.

picture.php

Also made a ski dolly:

picture.php

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
me too.

Removed the two rear spindle bracket bolts, rotated the spindle rearward and drilled new holes. This has moved the spindle bolt to trail the axle by 2". I think that this is the main reason for the better trail manners. You will need to shim the ski rubber to keep the nose of the ski from pointing down.

picture.php
when I moved the ski back (same way you did) the trail manners improved immensely. shimming the rubber helped washout in the powder for sure. I tried my mods on separate days.

M

MFJ

Jan 14, 2016
Anyone who thought Helico was just being a jacka$$ trying to grab attention needs to think again. Clearly he knows there is many problems or he would not be putting in that kind of effort to try and fix them.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Yea HELICO spill the beans lol.

I don't fully understand the problem that is trying to be solved other than that thing slamming back and fourth. What shock did you use there?

I have this laying around from my 2011 Yeti SB66 mountain bike, its super light weight.. I wonder if it could achieve something similar if I dumped all the air out of it so it was just oil damped that that point. When i built my yeti mountain bike I swapped to a coil sprung fox shock .. so I have this laying around never used.

Edit: Also whats the lower idler wheels do?

Last edited:

w74bronco

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2016
My guess on the idler wheels is to help reduce wear on the hyfax.

H
Jan 24, 2014
CRANBROOK B.C
The wheels and stiffener marry the track and rails.
IMO the yoke thing doesn't
The shock allows controlled full travel of the coupler.
My dog is happy!

DSCN1468.jpg DSCN1457.jpg

Last edited:
M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
Is anyone else having issues with rails coming out of track my has done this since day one im over it have 8 hours on kit now and averaging 6 times a ride to have to put track back on

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
Is anyone else having issues with rails coming out of track my has done this since day one im over it have 8 hours on kit now and averaging 6 times a ride to have to put track back on
Tighten your rear track wheels, by prying, beyond what the pistons push it.

Premium Features