• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cast Smartcarb?

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
There are two major differences. APT has taken the Lectron technology from the late 70's and developed the Smart Carb through 25 years of development sense then. They both work on the same basic principal, yet the Smart Carb is in other ways totally different. The two major differences are, #1 - The Smart Carb has the float bowl pressurization circuit. It is temperature and Altitude, "density altitude" compensating. The Lectron is not. They are a non sealed and vented carb, much like others. Not density altitude and temp compensating. #2 - the metering rod of the Lectron is a multi angle ground rod. Meaning the rod has to compensate for differences in signal. The Smart Carb has a flat rod. The signal is so correct and uniform from idle to WOT there are no metering differences. In one blind test, a single 38MM carb was sent to 7 different people from Canada and across the US to install and run. The "same carb", one at a time! The 7 bikes were all different, from 125CC to 500CC bikes. They all ran spot on with a total of 13 clicks between all 7 bikes. The Smart Carb being sealed and a pressurization circuit, apply fuel as per signal regardless of bike or size of engine. In current testing for EPA and OEM applications, the Smart Carb was 80% less in emissions than EFI, 13% better fuel economy, and 5 more HP.

I do not work for APT or get paid in any way. Ha! but there is not a question, the Smart Carb is the most advanced fuel delivery system available today. Period... makes the simple, "raw" EFI systems look pretty poor.

Got it!!thank you verry much! Makes sence now! Lectron with holtzman tempaflow and ATACC all in one,sweet!!now I want one!

S

snowboatboy

Oct 22, 2011
Petersburg Ak.
I just got an Email back today and the guy said that they are currently assembling them, and their goal is to have all of the preorder shipped by the third week of December. They're coming people:face-icon-small-hap

S

somepunk22

Feb 22, 2008
their goal is to have all of the preorder shipped by the third week of December. They're coming people:face-icon-small-hap

That would be pretty impressive if they haven't even started shipping yet. I'd be very curious to know the amount of preorders, but I'd imagine its quite a few! I think I might wait until a little time goes by before my order goes in. Hopefully the 36mm will roll out before summertime for the 200.

P

partypete

Jun 20, 2013
Liz said that I should have mine the first week of January conservativly speeking. I'm order #120 so I bet some people might have theirs really soon.

E

eskimojoe77

Nov 30, 2011
Any updates?

Had anyone heard anything? APT facebook page said that shipping was supposed to start last week, but there doesn't seem to be anybody talking. I'm hoping APT is just too busy shipping carbs to be talking on any forums. I don't know what my order number is so I don't know if I'm going to get one first or last.

E

eskimojoe77

Nov 30, 2011
Hello? Is anybody there?

I saw that Mtn-doo is running the new 38mm cast smartcarb on his 300. Has anyone else received their carb yet? I'm still waiting for the email that tells me mine has shipped. Last I talked to them I was assured I would have mine by the second week of January, but the year was not specified. I'm trying to be patient, but 5 months is a long time to wait. Come on APT, make me a believer.

E

eskimojoe77

Nov 30, 2011
smartcarb heater

Check out mtn-doo' s ktm 300 build. He's got a heater installed on the cast smartcarb. He must be living right to have gotten his carb already. Lucky.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Check out mtn-doo' s ktm 300 build. He's got a heater installed on the cast smartcarb. He must be living right to have gotten his carb already. Lucky.

I believe he is a dealer for them, and also a big source of advertisement with threads like the ktm300xc build thread. The bike he built does sound as if it runs real clean in the youtube video he recently posted. I really want them to ship the darn things so I can compare my set-up to the sc, and determine if I need one or not. must be frustrating for you guys that prepaid!

Jan 26, 2014
APT Pre-Orders

Had anyone heard anything? APT facebook page said that shipping was supposed to start last week, but there doesn't seem to be anybody talking. I'm hoping APT is just too busy shipping carbs to be talking on any forums. I don't know what my order number is so I don't know if I'm going to get one first or last.

You guys are awesome. The cast 38's are being shipped out now- Shipping more out each week. Based on the great reviews I have heard from other forums and early orders, I feel better that it is a fantastic fuel delivery system. Just sorry that its almost February now! PM with questions or 816-416-7143, you may have to leave a message.

Last edited:
S
Nov 20, 2013
In current testing for EPA and OEM applications, the Smart Carb was 80% less in emissions than EFI, 13% better fuel economy, and 5 more HP.

I do not work for APT or get paid in any way. Ha! but there is not a question, the Smart Carb is the most advanced fuel delivery system available today. Period... makes the simple, "raw" EFI systems look pretty poor.

I suppose the claim about 80% less emissions than EFI must only apply to four strokes, because 2 strokes would still be burning oil using the smart carb, correct? While I think EFI in four strokes is overrated, direct injected two strokes are fantastic and I don't think you can get much better than that for emissions and power.

D
Aug 29, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I suppose the claim about 80% less emissions than EFI must only apply to four strokes, because 2 strokes would still be burning oil using the smart carb, correct? While I think EFI in four strokes is overrated, direct injected two strokes are fantastic and I don't think you can get much better than that for emissions and power.

incorrect. dirt bike fuel injection systems so a piss poor job atomizing the fuel. where a good carb does a much better job which equals more power better emission. people like efi cause its simple. not jetting/ tuning for temp or elevation

E

eskimojoe77

Nov 30, 2011
Smartcarb shipped!

I just got a phone message from Liz Harvey at APT that my carb shipped out yesterday. It'll probably stop along the way to watch the Super Bowl so I'll probably see it Monday, but I'm hoping for Sat. Thanks for the phone call Liz, you made my day.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
a gas leak

incorrect. dirt bike fuel injection systems so a piss poor job atomizing the fuel. where a good carb does a much better job which equals more power better emission. people like efi cause its simple. not jetting/ tuning for temp or elevation

an ideally operating carb has the possibilities of delivering a nicely atomized fuel mixture. the problem is at low engine RPM's meaning low air flow... carbs don't operate ideally, when off the pipe or at unideal pressure wave revisions in your exhaust systems carbs can't deliver a nice atomized fuel mixture. newer carb designs have widened this window of better atomization.

good fuel injection delivers correctly atomized fuel at all throttle openings, carbs haven't yet been able to do this.

dirt bike fuel injection performance has been judged on the low tech poorly designed systems offered to the public on the dirt bikes to date. you will never have good throttle response with air delivery through butterfly air valves on current FI systems , can't happen, but they sell you that on your $10k bike.........very poor and crude.

NASCAR and dirt bikes...........last place in high performance ( well ok not so high ) motors stuck on carbs. Will all change.

Premium Features