• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 700 summit, mid-range bog at elevation

8alltheway

Dec 5, 2007
Eastern SD
So my summit (stock, 2k miles) runs excellent at home here on the flatlands, nothing wrong at all. At 5-6000ft it runs great except when you hold the rmps at any certain rpm anywhere in between 4-5500rpm the motor immediately bogs out and idles down to around 3-4000rpm (just before clutch engagement). Then you can hit the throttle from there and she runs great all the way to wide open, that is unless you hold it steady in any spot in that 4-5500rpm range at any time and then the problem just keeps repeating. If you keep the rpms going steady from engagement on up to full throttle there is no isssue it runs great. The motor runs fine at all other times except when held, even for a second, in that 4-5500rpm range? And when i ride it 9-10000+ft the sled runs the same and the symptoms are the exact same except that when it bogs out in that particular rpm range the motor backs all the way down to idle before you can take off again. No matter how much i feather the throttle it simply does not respond to anything

Obviously it is related to elevation so where should i start digging in to? Id like to have it somewhat narrowed down before I start throwing parts at it. I had a local dealer here (low elevation) look at it but they couldn't find anything wrong with it even running it on the stand.

So any suggestions?...

C
Feb 23, 2011
start with checking any and all hoses coming to and from your carb/airbox and dpm for cracks or leaks. second check your reeds.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Sorry for not checking in for a while... :redface:

The '02 came from the factory with this stumble. Doo had a patch made up for it by mid December, but if your sled was picked up before that - it may have not gotten it. It requires a reflash of the MPEM.

I hoped to get mine flashed as soon as I got to Cooke, but they were too busy right then, so I rode 1/2 day the first day with factory settings, and could about put you over the bars when it stumbled if you were a stand-up rider. Susie (?) flashed it for me the next morning and all has been fine since.

Premium Features