• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets talk ktm 300 xc

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
You have the package. wow, I'm jealous.... Ha Your engine pkg with a basic MX porting job is the pkg. Your hp is in the mid 50's. On a ST, it should be tons of fun. Have you ridden it in dirt with those mod's ? Moto action tested your pkg and said their 450F riders got blown off the back of it! Ha Super aggressive I understand.

S

somepunk22

Feb 22, 2008
Well after several months of travel, I finally have my 300 XCW back in my own garage to wrench. This is the bike MTN-DOO took his test ride on. Completely stock. Not even sure what power valve spring is in the bike. Lots of mods to come! I know the XCW isn't the preferred option, but I couldn't pass up the cleanliness and the price. And 300s are just hard to find out in the woods. I know MTN-DOO likes to ride the pipe :)D) but I was impressed at how much I could still lug this motor in the deeper stuff. I'm also not a super aggressive rider.

What size CS sprocket is everyone running? I believe TS recommends going down to a 12, but with the XCW I think I might go back to the 13.

cKlMUGBTuQfcBqyFpmzRN8iq8sZ4QLuKtfaxlbaHWw=w885-h664-no

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey buddy, great pic !!!! Those woods sounded good and smelled good too!!!
I love riding the pipe. Will do a super nice, High out put 300 build. Doing all the detail stuff now. It will be an ST. Will be a super fun tree snorter for sure.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Nice pic ! Look at the nice 500 !! Poof gone !

As for the 300 they are awesome bikes. They dont need to be on the pipe like KTM's 250 to make power. Id sure like to ride that 300 this year to try it out. My wife and son can ride it next season if it is that good with an ST.

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
You have the package. wow, I'm jealous.... Ha Your engine pkg with a basic MX porting job is the pkg. Your hp is in the mid 50's. On a ST, it should be tons of fun. Have you ridden it in dirt with those mod's ? Moto action tested your pkg and said their 450F riders got blown off the back of it! Ha Super aggressive I understand.

Ive ran about 30 gallons of fuel through it with this set up on dirt, love it! Im into fast single track mountain riding 3rd 4th gear on the pipe, than back to the technical steep rocky lug around 1st 2nd gear its the best do it all , buddys 500 xcw and others with 450s boiling over , stalling out, falling over lol, they call me a cheater, with the 300 .And the xc suspension rocks takes the hard hits going fast over trees, roots, rocks, were on the xcw suspension cant take it as good .for slower pace the xcw suspension is very nice just not for me. I wouldnt say night and day difference before and after but close lol add a little 110vp helps too , just my 2 cents the bike rocks on dirt!! Hope the same on snow cant wait , blown off the back A? Lol my wife rides some times with me , she was riding her bothers 500xcw and loves it! Smooth ez to ride .I stoped and said try this out, she gets on takes off im behind her looking at her head being jurked back every time she hits a bump (whiskey throttle) she stops , saying I dont like its way to snapy , she rode her 05 kx 250 all the time but wont touch my xc.

Last edited:
R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
(What size CS sprocket is everyone running? I believe TS recommends going down to a 12,) somepunk22*
I had to use a 12 tooth , couldnt get the chain to work with a 13 ,half a link off, maybe if I went to a 16 on the MH .I even tryed adding a half link than the chain was to long

Last edited:
B
Jan 23, 2012
Colorado
Now you guys tell me the 300xc makes a good snow bike!

I currently have a 350sx for single track and a FE570S for linking trails and my snow bike. If the 300xc is powerful enough for a snow bike then that would be the perfect ride to do it all.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Now you guys tell me the 300xc makes a good snow bike!

I currently have a 350sx for single track and a FE570S for linking trails and my snow bike. If the 300xc is powerful enough for a snow bike then that would be the perfect ride to do it all.

I am working on a project with the 300. The 250 2 stroke works well. I have some days out with them and was impressed. The 300 with some improvements will produce about equal hp as a stock 450 with none of the tuning, rebuilds, maintenance requirements. In the "off season" ha!, there is not a better woods bike made. Could be a nice combo? The 300 would make a nice ST play bike and rippy little tree rider, but not a LT deep snow hill climber. You have to decide what you would like, all around. Two would be best! A turboed LT for "those days", and I will have a modded 300ST for the other days. Light, simple and inexpensive fun.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
carb icing

putting together my yz250 snobike and looking at options for carb heat to prevent carb icing............so run into icing issues on your 300's?

Also helping riding mate convert his yzf450 kit to his new 013 250KTM 2 smoker. Haven't looked at his carb but its different model Keihin than the YZ. I would assume the KTM 4 stroke carb heaters are not an option on the keihin.

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
Man the woods are going to sound good this year from the looks of it there are going to be a few 2 srtrokes running around , that was always my favorite thing about when I was a Sawyer , the smell of 2 stroke, fresh cut trees, and the ported 660 stihl ,

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Man the woods are going to sound good this year from the looks of it there are going to be a few 2 srtrokes running around , that was always my favorite thing about when I was a Sawyer , the smell of 2 stroke, fresh cut trees, and the ported 660 stihl ,

Ha, ya, I hear ya. It's like a drug. Once you're hooked It's hard to replace..... When I weed-eat my yard my ported, piped, high comp weedeater is filling the neighborhood with the smell of Klotz!!!! Haahhaaa

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
putting together my yz250 snobike and looking at options for carb heat to prevent carb icing............so run into icing issues on your 300's?

Also helping riding mate convert his yzf450 kit to his new 013 250KTM 2 smoker. Haven't looked at his carb but its different model Keihin than the YZ. I would assume the KTM 4 stroke carb heaters are not an option on the keihin.

The KTM carb heater is for the 300XC,XCW etc. No wiring involved. Pre wired to simple plug in. It is a KTM part. Also, the beauty is all Keihn's have a "boss", dimpled area on the right side specifically for your carb heater. Any bike, 2 or 4 stroke carb is covered that have that bossed area. PWK series do. Most bikes will have a PWK series on them. You do not need a battery either, but you do need electricity. They are not mandatory, but worth installing for those cold, damp conditions that may produce some intake icing. There are several carb bikes I am familiar with who did not install a heater and they ran fine all winter. I would recommend a carb "jacket" of some kind first. Very easy to do.

Last edited:
Premium Features