• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'96 680 ultra torque specs?

halvy25

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Nebraska
I'm doing a new top end pistons, rings, seals on my 1996 ultra 680. Does anybody happen to know what the torque specs are on the cylinder bolts, cylinder head bolts and the water manifold bolts?

Any other input, advice or tips before I start to put it all back together?

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Cylinder head:8mm 17-20 ft. Lbs.
:10 mm 24-26 ft. Lbs.
Cylinder base nuts:24-28 ft. Lbs.
Crank case:8mm 17-18 ft. Lbs.
:10mm 23-25 ft. Lbs.
On the water manifold bolts i would do 5-8 ft.lbs. If i were torquing them, but i never have on any of my builds, i just go by feel and expirience.

Advice: use plenty of oil during asembly. Oil the ring lands after installing the rings, put plenty of oil in the drip holes to the main bearings on the crank, as well as the con-rod bearings and wrist pin bearings. Make sure to check your ring end-gap, pistons should have come with a spec for this. If you are still running oil injection, premix the first 2-3 tankfulls with a pint of oil in the fuel (about 1 pint to 10 gallons) if you are not running oil injection, run the first 2-3 tankfulls at a premix ratio of about 20:1. Heat cycle the engine at least 2-3 times before you rev the engine at all: start and idle to operating temp and then shut down untill fully cooled down and repeat. This takes a while, but will help insure best performance and longevity of your fresh topend.

Last edited:

halvy25

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Nebraska
Thanks for response. This will help a lot. Im running oil injection on it. Planning on doing it Fri night as long as nothing else comes up. Thanks again.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Cylinder head:8mm 17-20 ft. Lbs.
:10 mm 24-26 ft. Lbs.
Cylinder base nuts:24-28 ft. Lbs.
Crank case:8mm 17-18 ft. Lbs.
:10mm 23-25 ft. Lbs.
On the water manifold bolts i would do 5-8 ft.lbs. If i were torquing them, but i never have on any of my builds, i just go by feel and expirience.

Advice: use plenty of oil during asembly. Oil the ring lands after installing the rings, put plenty of oil in the drip holes to the main bearings on the crank, as well as the con-rod bearings and wrist pin bearings. Make sure to check your ring end-gap, pistons should have come with a spec for this. If you are still running oil injection, premix the first 2-3 tankfulls with a pint of oil in the fuel (about 1 pint to 10 gallons) if you are not running oil injection, run the first 2-3 tankfulls at a premix ratio of about 20:1. Heat cycle the engine at least 2-3 times before you rev the engine at all: start and idle to operating temp and then shut down untill fully cooled down and repeat. This takes a while, but will help insure best performance and longevity of your fresh topend.

Great info Mike! I'm doing a topend as well and my current premix gas does have some Seafoam in it. I'm running 40:1 ratio right now but I was going to add more oil to be safe during break in. I'm all good on how to heat cycle and break in stuff but I'm unsure about the Seafoam being a issue.

halvy25

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Nebraska
Thanks for the info Mike. I got it all put back together about ten days ago. We took it up this last weekend and put some break in miles on it and it ran great.

Premium Features