• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Husky 511 Mountain Horse

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Watch n realize.

The place: Mt. Baker Washington single ski snow PARK!:face-icon-small-coo

The year: 2009 pre MH

The bikes were fitted with an Explorer and a 2Moto kit, a good base with minimal untouched powder is where these shine as their gearing mimics the wheels back on. The other machines are of all the manufacturers different displacement models you guess.

The one ski market is a wide range for all appetites, no one size fits all will ever suffice. There are always those riders who will have no problem making up for whatever shortcomings their machine's display on paper. While others tooting their specs the lightest, fastest, and mostest come short.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZLXsw9-BU

MH Suzukawasaki time machine would have been fun that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKyrXeLdnQ

Amongst their own the herd is only slowed by the least agile. TSMH is geared down. Recent CR/KX500 and gold plated turbo threads suggest otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGNal4xHOfM

Don't see it, keep your head under the snow, that's cool.:yo:

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Good looking choice.

I know the Rep here in the NW, Jason Dahners and the #1 dealer Jeff Tasky in Everett, numerous offerings of riding with the Washington one ski group have fallen on deaf ears. Such a shame, Husky's current anti KTM demographic would leap at the chance to help their local hero's succeed. Credit to a recent dealer Webb Powersports in Ellensburg though, I got a chance to irritate him every year we had our snow show booth across from his. Jonah Street was among his group of one ski converts.

attachment.php

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
I looked at this bike or I should say motor back in I think it was 08 when it was a BMW GX450 or what ever the hell they called it. The whole co-axial thing kinda intriqued me at the time cause of the chain tension benefits. Nothing could touch that motor at the time it came from the factory tuned at like 54 hp but the bimmer just had too many weird handling issues so it died a quiet death and thankfully I bought a KTM. From my understanding BMW bought Husky and said here's the basic package make it work cause we can't seem to but we still think it's a good idea and now that they have been at it for a couple of years I've added this bike to my short list for a new ride along with the KTM EXC 500. One thing to remember about the Husky 511 and the power is that the bike is actually only a 477.5 cc motor not a 511 and I think the KTM is a 510 not a 500 so the cc advantage goes to KTM.

Keep up the reports we're watching with interest.

M5

A

aadougie

Nov 26, 2007
Bigfork, Montana
Got a chance to ride this bike yesterday. It is very impressive - the long track and the new ski work so well, and the bike runs (carburates) better than stock KX 450s and KTM 500s. It will easily out climb both. The new ski is a must have.

Burr

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Luverne Mn
Aadougie was it the 511 husky that you drove yesterday ? Im hoping so as i want to get a snowbike and am leaning to the 511 for many reasons. I have 4 sleds and the snowbike has me very interested as will have dirt bike to use also. As you can see by my age im not going to be racing it. Just want a bike that dont have to mess with as much as some of the true race bikes which i feel the 511 is not. Cant wait to get into a snow bike !

A

aadougie

Nov 26, 2007
Bigfork, Montana
Aadougie was it the 511 husky that you drove yesterday ? Im hoping so as i want to get a snowbike and am leaning to the 511 for many reasons. I have 4 sleds and the snowbike has me very interested as will have dirt bike to use also. As you can see by my age im not going to be racing it. Just want a bike that dont have to mess with as much as some of the true race bikes which i feel the 511 is not. Cant wait to get into a snow bike !

Yes, it was the same bike as in the photos of this thread....I think this is the only Husky 511 on the snow! I can't speak to the off road function of the bike, but it is the best running snow bike I've tried...KX,YZ,KTM, or Husaberg... You need it setup as noted in this thread to make big power. The only "issue" I see is the air intake can get plugged, but virtually all the snow bikes have this issue to some degree. It wasn't an issue yesterday as the snow wasn't as fluffy...none of the bikes had snow intake issues yesterday.

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
It was great to finally be able to get off the Husky and try other bikes on Saturday. I rode a KX450, 500 KTM, and a 12 WR450F. All of these bikes work exceptionally well, but as AAdougie said, the Husky flat works! Part is due to the long track kit of course, but the bike has very strong power, the transmission ratios seem perfect, is very well balanced, and the fuel injection is spot on. Im truly blown away as I was very skeptical to use this bike at first and wanted a 500 KTM instead.

I'm still working on snow injestion issues, but other than that, the bike works flawlessly so far.

I will keep updating as I go.

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Unfortunately, this bike worked too good! A buddy of mine rode it and had to have it! Extremely pleased that it worked so good he wanted it but still bummed to see it go. I really enjoyed riding it! :face-icon-small-hap

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
The TXC449 is the same exact bike except for a 3mm smaller bore. This bike should work just as well and down very little on power compared to the 511. Either bike needs a different silencer as the OEM one is very restricted and really chokes the bikes down.

I found and bought a used TC449 with the intent of putting a kit on it as Husky claims the TC449 will put out more power then the TXC511 due to an Akropovic exhaust system, different throttle body, and different intake tract.

Unfortunately, I can't get any more kits as Timbersled is sold completely out and will not be making any more this season. I have two bikes sitting here for kits and can't get them. :sad:

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
Dirt Rider, I'm sure there are some kits around at the various Timbersled dealers across the west. I know of a used kit for sale, and 1 long track.

Jon

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Thanks Jon. I still have two new ST kits in stock and a LT kit on my 500 KTM but the Husky is a different frame entirely and Timbersled has only built the one so far. They plan on making more for next season but this year they are done building kits. Unfortunately I have two bikes I picked up a 2012 TC449 and a 2012 TXC511 just for putting kits on and I can't get any. Bummed as I have more people that now want Huskys with LT kits.

Dirt Rider, I'm sure there are some kits around at the various Timbersled dealers across the west. I know of a used kit for sale, and 1 long track.

Jon

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
My buddy has an '11 TE 511 and he cannot get a kit either. We wanted to go riding this winter together but looks like we will have to wait. :(

D

dirt rider

Mar 31, 2011
Kalispell, MT
I talked to Timbersled yesterday about just welding me up the tubing for the Husky as I could bolt it into an existing kit but they can't even do that. They will not make any more kits or parts for this winter season. Talked to them twice yesterday.

SlingingMercury

Premium Member
Jan 23, 2009
Just picked up a 2012 TC449 today. I'll be riding this bad boy next winter. Has the Titanium Akrapovic pipe and dual map ECU from factory along with upgraded intake.

TC449.jpg

Premium Features