• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail riding is killing me...

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
2010 M8 SP

Trail riding is just miserable. 60psi on front shocks and 100psi on rear float. Any suggestions to improve trail manners? Powder riding is great. Steering is really darty too.

Thanks.

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Stop riding trails?

I'm not a suspension guy so can't help much. However, I replaced the spacers on my ski axles with the Sno-Pro (racer) ski springs. Part # 0702-747. From a 2005 AC 440 Sno Pro (may be on other sleds as well). Didn't do it to help with the trail darting but I think it really does make a difference and they are pretty cheap. Allows the skis to do a little sideways wandering without taking the sled with them.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The 08-10 is in serious need of a revalve, I had mine done by holz and it worked great, before I would have rather had my 07 m1000 and after the revalve it was better than the 07. GSR also does it and it prob the cheapest. Its almost a must on those sleds.

You can also do the geo mod, it helps with and without valving from what I hear

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I had the front shocks rebuilt with two stage valving and high flow pistons and the Burandt kit in the back and now and bad trails I can play snowcross. The Ms need the shocks revalved, should almost be the first mod to these sleds.

J
Jan 1, 2008
To help the darting you need to make sure you have 1/8" to 1/4" toe out. More ski pressure will help with the darting as well. If you are complaining about a rough ride with the floats in front, you can soften it by installing fett bros air chambers where the shrader valve goes in. My 05sp F7 was damn stiff up front, revalved them myself and it turned out well.

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
GSR

His name is Andy and his # is 208-716-0475. He will revalve and give you a couple of opitions and is very resonable on price, quick too.

S
Dec 1, 2007
Jackson, WY
1) M-series sleds are some of the worst trail sleds ever made.

2) If you ride the Vail pass those aren't trails, they're highways.

3) On my 10' TM8 I had Andy at GSR do the "Burandt Kit" with includes a high-volume sealhead as well as his valve package. It was $346, including return shipping. He said it's recommended for lighter riders, but he's got his own forumula for 200 lb+ fellas that costs significantly less. Anyway, it was a moderate improvement on trails and a large improvement when boondocking/jumping. It feels soft on the top, making it easy to initiate carves, but is very progressive so you don't bottom out all the time like stock.

Premium Features