• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help brainstoriming this sled build

C
Mar 20, 2011
So guys i wanted more power and decided i got me and some friends and were all pretty good with working on sleds and i modded my truck and am finishing up the resto my buddy helped me a bit with the engine mods and lift but thats all. Anyways im trying to brainstorm and see how much i could build a sled for also i got my sled up for sale. So i want to start getting stuff together i need help and have a few questions. So ill list everything i can think of to build the sled then ask my questions.

Just going to give estimates on prices and say whether im buying new or used

Tunnel-$1500- Id buy that brand new, who should i buy it off ? Also a how much is a stock tunnel and do aftermarket or stock tunnels come with bulkheads ?

Bulkhead- where can i buy one new ? Can i get one when i buy a aftermarket tunnel off a company

Ice age rails- $450 brand new

Long block engine-$2200 comes with everything needed to drop in and hook up from my research and what ive heard, does it come with ecu and fuel lines pipe/can and everything ? Does it come with clutches ?

rear suspension and front suspension - How much would a stock setup be ? How much to do a setup with kmod ?

A-arms- Stock or aftermarket and where from ?

Seat and hood i already have extras

side pannels id buy used- $100

Steering post- How much ? Should i go stock or used ? Same questions for bars ?

Gas tank- Could i buy it off artic cat ? Also anyone know how much ?

Track-used $300

Stock gauge- How much ?

lights ill hook up some spot lights

Can you guys answer my questions and add anything i forgot. I know theres little things i forgot. If i buy off all these aftermarket places will they sell or have all the bolts i need to put everything together, if not where can i get them ? Im younger and need some help would really apreciate help with the questions and advise also my budget would be $6000 i plan on building it in summer the reason im doing this is because i firgure this way i can build something that will be lighter and aftermarket. Also I'm planning on using a 2011 m8 motor should i or should i use a m7 ?

Thanks in advance guys like i said i need some help and trying to see how much aftermarket stuff i can do and build a whole sled for $6000.

Last edited:
C
Mar 20, 2011
hmmm. So your selling a stock sled to build a stock sled?

not quite stock like i said probably kmod suspension iceage rails and a aftermarket tunnel my boss seat ect. Also going from a 06 m7 to a 2011 m8 that i would mod. Anyone got any answers or suggestions on my questions ???

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I'll sell you a 2011 m8. does that help?

If it was me I would keep what you've got. Do a full van amberburg boondooker tunnel and kmod. big bore your 700 to a 925. and skip most of the other stuff. If your gonna mod as much as you are thinking there is no point to moving up to the 2011 chassis as it isn't really any different. For what your doing anyways.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
I've been reading all of your posts. First question have you even rode your m7 yet with the correct clutching? I know you were saying you were getting like 7000 rpm. You have the horsepower of a 500 at that rpm. Get your current sled working the best you can than do what you feel needs improvement. I would almost bet that you'll run out of talent before you find the true limits of your m7. I also read that you are thinking of competing in climbing competitions. I believe part numbers have match that years model.

Up top your missing diamond drive/trackshaft/brake assembly. I know from experience that there is close to $1000 in nuts/bolts/screws/pins/washers/straps and other misc hardware.

C
Mar 20, 2011
I've been reading all of your posts. First question have you even rode your m7 yet with the correct clutching? I know you were saying you were getting like 7000 rpm. You have the horsepower of a 500 at that rpm. Get your current sled working the best you can than do what you feel needs improvement. I would almost bet that you'll run out of talent before you find the true limits of your m7. I also read that you are thinking of competing in climbing competitions. I believe part numbers have match that years model.

Up top your missing diamond drive/trackshaft/brake assembly. I know from experience that there is close to $1000 in nuts/bolts/screws/pins/washers/straps and other misc hardware.

Ok and ya i got it out this weekened and was hitting a consistent 7700rmp i know i should be getting 7800 to 8100 but i didnt even put the 65g weights in yet a buddy just asked me to go and i did. Thanks for the info thats what i was looking for and i knew i was going to forget stuff. So your saying there close to $1000 in just hardware ?

C
Mar 20, 2011

If it was me I would keep what you've got. Do a full van amberburg boondooker tunnel and kmod. big bore your 700 to a 925. and skip most of the other stuff. If your gonna mod as much as you are thinking there is no point to moving up to the 2011 chassis as it isn't really any different. For what your doing anyways.

I was just going to do it to try save some money and make a better sled at the same time. Also doing more on my sled i would be out of my price range and have to much into my sled

Last edited:
C
Mar 20, 2011

How much did your kmod setup cost ? Also with the competition im looking to go in ive sled caught there for 3 years and am close with the store who runs it and have a friend who works there and anyways they run 600 open class then 700 open class then 800 stock then 800 mod then 1000 then turbos so they just check engines.

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC

U hit the nail right on the head with that right there!!!!!!!!!!!

C
Mar 20, 2011
Ok well i just estimated it and with what was said about hardware the brakes and dd for another $1000 i was at $3800 so now im at about $4800 but i still havnt firgured or included the suspension any help ? Also well guys look i know it would be easier to mod my sled but ill just be out of my price range and know i will have to much into the sled to get it out. I apreciate all the help and comments so far but im trying to firgure out costs and things i missed anything else to add ? I think it will be cheaper and fit in my budget to build a sled it wont be a big mod but that was i can choose a couple things i want here and there and then also i would do basic engine mods such as pipe can fuel controller intake ect. ect.

Also whats the difference between the vanamburg boondocker and the tappered tunnel ? Also how much weight does each one save over stock ? Again thanks in advance i apreciate everything and just trying to price things out and im still looking for whole sleds just weighing out my options. But right now my sled is up for sale

Last edited:
A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I don't think you would be able to build a sled with the money you get from selling your sled.. Ive done basically what you have done, but I got most of my parts for cheap through my buddies that can get into salvage at arctic cat. I have about $6000 into building this sled and its not finished.
Save yourself some money and just mod the one you have. 2011 tunnel isnt that much different other than looks. If you're looking for more out of yours, try a clutch kit, not "one size fits all" kit, talk to some companies and tell them how you want the sled to perform and get a clutch kit that way. Theres a lot of things you could do to make your sled a ripper!

But if you still insist, RV sports usually has good deals and Country Cat. You might be better off parting your sled out and keeping the misc hardware and other components you will need for your build.

C
Mar 20, 2011
Ok thanks ya well in my area I could get bout $5500 or a bit more outta my sled. Parting it out would kinda be a pain. It's not that I was after a 2010 or 2011 chasis just was going to use a aftermarket tunnel. I might try sell my sled for 5500 or 6 and pick up a m7 or something for bout 3k just lots of sleds seem to be high priced this year .... I dunno what To do

How much do you guys think I could part my track rear skid tunnel and engine out for ?

Last edited:
F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
These words should never be spoken with a custom build!

Ok well i just estimated it and with what was said about hardware the brakes and dd for another $1000 i was at $3800 so now im at about $4800 but i still havnt firgured or included the suspension any help ? Also well guys look i know it would be easier to mod my sled but ill just be "out of my price range" and know i will have to much into the sled to get it out. I apreciate all the help and comments so far but im trying to firgure out costs and things i missed anything else to add ? I think it will be cheaper and fit in my budget to build a sled it wont be a big mod but that was i can choose a couple things i want here and there and then also i would do basic engine mods such as pipe can fuel controller intake ect. ect.

Also whats the difference between the vanamburg boondocker and the tappered tunnel ? Also how much weight does each one save over stock ? Again thanks in advance i apreciate everything and just trying to price things out and im still looking for whole sleds just weighing out my options. But right now my sled is up for sale

You will be money ahead to buy a used 2010 M8 for anywhere close what you are going to be able to build one for. If you have that tight of a budget, you should stay away from modifications anyhow. Not to be an a$$ but following a few of your previous posts if you can't get your clutching right on the sled you have now, you should avoid attempting to put a sled together from various parts, besides...who has ...ever!... built a sled within budget, there are always extra expenditures and if your going to build one right, its going to take more than what you are trying to budget it for. If it was that easy, we would all be doing it.

I suppose it depends on if you want a half *** mod sled, or a good semi stock one.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
I'm saying over a $1000 in hardware, not including diamond drive/trackshaft/brakes. I would say $500 at the cheapest for used drive system. If you think you can get an 800 HO complete for $2200, buy every one of them. The ecu only is $1000. Full kmod with ice age rails and floats was $2350 summer order. Front end was $450 shipped for zbroz with hay days discount. Float R's were bought for $650 from local dealer that gave a good discount. If you don't believe the $1000 dollars in hardware go to a website were you can order parts off of diagrams and select every nut/blot/spacer/washer/screw/pin/ so on and so on. I'm sure you could go to your local hardware store and cut that cost by 1/2 or more but you'll have a rusted up mess in about a year. I'm not trying to be an @$$, just trying to save you some coin. I'm not sure how Canada works with registering sleds, but I know you need an existing vin around here to register and if you want a new tunnel from cat you have to cut your vin number out of the tunnel and send it to them for them to restamp the new one.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I'm gonna give you some solid advise based on a build I did myself. I'll give you the short list of what I did to mine. I started with a 06 600 xfire that I picked up dirt cheap in the summer of 07 for $3500. It was a little rough but totally ready to ride. Ran great in fact. I still see these sleds today for the same money. My thought was that with a sled that cheap I can afford to do the mod the way I want to do it. And what I wanted to build was basically an HCR but 2 years before they came out.
Vanamburg boondocker tunnel.
sold the 600 and swapped in 925rkt
full BMP exhaust.
08 sno pro skid 153 camo extreme. eventually a powderclaw when they came out
lots of different clutching combos.
lots of vents
bdx intake
bdx bored throttle bodys
geared down diamond drive
there are so many other little things that will nickel and dime you to death

Before I sold that sled I figured I had in the neighborhood of $14000 in to it and that was a "BUDGET" built mod sled. And that thing ripped and was a monster on the hill and I was lucky to get $4800 for it.

Maybe my south dakota math is a little rusty but even if you get $5000 for your sled and you buy one for $3500. I don't see how your gonna build
anything for 1500.

The biggest problem with any major mod is you will never be done with it. Thats why I sold mine. Because every time you add one thing you feel like you need to add another thing... and another thing.... and another.

Its a sickness really.

M
Dec 6, 2008
Modding is a sickness stay far far away from it. Just kidding but in reality all of a sudden you will have 15k into a sled and an untold amount of hours into the thing (many hours that you could have been riding instead of struggling through first time projects). That was the case for me atleast, and I couldn't be happier with my sled now but it is an 05 m7 and most of my mods were mainly what cat updated the M-series sleds with anyway. Now that its completely been modded and thrashed over the years its almost time for a new modding process to start and to get hardly any return when I sell my modded sled. My advice would be to get something around a 2010 m8 and spend your time getting to be a really good rider rather wasting time and money on too much modding. Not saying youre not a good rider just that time could be better spent riding and spending money on gas.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
The words budget and mod shouldn't even be in the same paragraph. It's defenitly a sickness. Best thing to do on a budget is be glad you have a snowmobile to ride in the first place. Next is make yourself the best you possibly can be on that machine, which only require gas, oil, and a little bit of maintenance.

C
Mar 20, 2011
I get what you guys are trying to say I'll just keep my eyes out and see what I can find for with in the 6k mark my sleds up for sale anyways so I'll just see what happens I'll take your guyses advice and I do apreciate and thanks again.

Jet a question who has owned a 07 or 08 m8 and a 2010 or 2011 m8 is there a big noticable power difference ?

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
I get what you guys are trying to say I'll just keep my eyes out and see what I can find for with in the 6k mark my sleds up for sale anyways so I'll just see what happens I'll take your guyses advice and I do apreciate and thanks again.

Jet a question who has owned a 07 or 08 m8 and a 2010 or 2011 m8 is there a big noticable power difference ?

The 2010-2012 HO motors are basically the same as the 08 accept they are already ported, piped and have the head work done for you. I had a RKtek head and porting on my 2009, the 2010 porting and head work are remarkably close to the package RKtek produced....makes you wonder?

There is a considerable power difference between the motors, again...budget dictates. If you can swing the extra cash for the newer model you will be money ahead to get it as long as you can afford the newer chassis. If not, the 2009 is a great sled and you can always have the head work, pipe, and porting done later, the SLP package is right there with the HO engines.

Here is a good test to take in order to see if you have what it takes to build mod sleds... dig in your wallet, pull out a 100 dollar bill and set it on fire...if you hesitate or flinch whatsoever...then you better stick with a stock sled.

C
Mar 20, 2011
The 2010-2012 HO motors are basically the same as the 08 accept they are already ported, piped and have the head work done for you. I had a RKtek head and porting on my 2009, the 2010 porting and head work are remarkably close to the package RKtek produced....makes you wonder?

There is a considerable power difference between the motors, again...budget dictates. If you can swing the extra cash for the newer model you will be money ahead to get it as long as you can afford the newer chassis. If not, the 2009 is a great sled and you can always have the head work, pipe, and porting done later, the SLP package is right there with the HO engines.

Here is a good test to take in order to see if you have what it takes to build mod sleds... dig in your wallet, pull out a 100 dollar bill and set it on fire...if you hesitate or flinch whatsoever...then you better stick with a stock sled.

Ok that's why I was asking I've seen plenty of 07-08s with in the $4000-5500 mark and usually on the lower end so I thought maybe something like that with some room to spare I could do a head buy a used pipe and can or something along those lines. Just ideas .

Thanks again to everyone so far and sorry for dumb thoughts or quetions sometimes and repeating myself

Premium Features