• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tether

Tether????

• Must have

Votes: 53 93.0%
  • Take it or leave it.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Pain in the butt.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Not needed

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
How many of you see a need?

I used to think pain in the butt. See a couple of time it would have been nice.

But this weekend I have changed my opinion to a must have.

I had a Friend get tossed from his sled and the throttle stuck wide open. I think we have all seen that, right stuff happens. Well some how his arm got caught in the track and it took a couple of minutes to get to him. I was not there and do not know all the details but he lost his arm so far and has a long recovery.

I am setting up a page on my website with tethers for sale and for every tether we sell 5.00 will go to help with his medical bills.

http://www.mountainmagicsports.com/tether_fund_raiser

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I always use a tether NOW!!!! It took a totaled mod 925 triple in a zx chassis for me to learn.:face-icon-small-dis The throttle got stuck wfo for about 300 yards it took out some 4" in diameter trees before stopping!!!

Not near as bad as your buddy though!! Hope he has a speedy recovery..

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
After watching my sled wander off without me and tag a tree, I decided a tether was a good idea. I went with the oft tether and roll over valve combo, but I admit it isn't installed yet. Once I get my sled in a garage its the first thing that is getting done.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
MMSports
Sorry to hear about your buddy. That is a terrible way to start the new year off. Here is to his speedy recovery and rehabilitation It just reminds us all that snowmobiling is a dangerous sport. I have always felt that it was crazy for the Factory's not to put tethers as standard equipement on sleds. These things become Missiles when the throttles stick wide open. After seeing an old Chris Burandt's youtube video of his mod sled screaming into the forest after the throttle stuck and reading wolfone's post on TY about loosing his boosted sled after the throttle stuck wide open. The ironic part about wolfone's accident is that he had a tether but he modified it with a large clip to make it easier to use with gloves. Somehow his tether got hooked to the sled in the crash and it was ripped off his jacket and the sled raced off with the tether now tied to the sled so it never got pulled.
Tethers are not fool proof and there is nothing to prove it would have helped your buddy in the end. However, I feel that do they add an extra layer of needed protection. Ride safe

I read the story and my sympathies to all. I had my son and one of his friends out Monday. I thought about the tether, or lack there of all day. I am definately thinking it is a sound safety idea. Do you have an option for Yamaha, specifically RX-1 and Nytro? I would like to install and contribute. Thanks

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
From saving your 4 stroke engine from running out of oil (when on its side or upside down) to possibly saving riding buddies and trees from getting run over to saving the rider it is totally worth having.

That is why there is no racing without tethers.

Premium Features