• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 polaris 800 BOG!!!

B
I have a 2001 polaris 800 and it has a huge bog started about a year ago, runs great wide open but from a idel or at mid range, if you pin the gas it falls on its face, the rips ur arms off! I have not changed a thing not jets or any kind of clutching... I have cleaned the clutches, and carbs, problem is still there!!!

montanagrizzly

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2010
Polson, MT
Interesting mine was doing that from the beginning this year! I rode it Twice and the PTO side burned down. Found out I was runnin lean....Had 370 jets with 87 oct fuel and twinn pipes with a gutted box! So I rebuilt it and now run 390's which is a little rich for the PTO side but I'm stickin there for the mean time and premium gas with a gallon or two of race fuel and the problem seems to be solved at the moment. I have ridden it twice since the rebuild and It runs like a dream and No more bog! :face-icon-small-hap

Z
Apr 21, 2010
He means find it now,not later.
Fuel quality Is a big deal, doing something about it is better than just filling at the pump.
Guys.. Don't forget to give miles on the sled, elevation riden at, avg. air temps.. of course mods, and like montanagrizzly did main jets.

B
Thats the hole thing... I have not changed a thing for abot 2000 miles, I ride in the same area all the time, and I run the same fuel, 92 pump gas
jetting and clutches are the same from the time of all my mods... power dome heads, slp single, vforce3, slp air box. ran great for years now bbbbboooooooggggggggg!

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
Just because you didn't change any thing doesn't mean something didn't change. You could have plugged pilot jets in the carbs, bad plugs, low compression, or busted reeds. Also some gas now has ethanol which screws everything up.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
clutch

did you change your drive and driven springs in the last 500 miles?
I have a 2001 polaris 800 and it has a huge bog started about a year ago, runs great wide open but from a idel or at mid range, if you pin the gas it falls on its face, the rips ur arms off! I have not changed a thing not jets or any kind of clutching... I have cleaned the clutches, and carbs, problem is still there!!!

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
twin slp pipe?

what elevation you running?
if you our at 6000ft and under you need some 110 race fuel too 10%
unless your head is cut and the needle our changed.
my 2001 motor i ran 380/390 and race fuel at 12 degrees timing at 8250 rpm.
could not keep it cool with out some 110 in there, uesd 10%.

Interesting mine was doing that from the beginning this year! I rode it Twice and the PTO side burned down. Found out I was runnin lean....Had 370 jets with 87 oct fuel and twinn pipes with a gutted box! So I rebuilt it and now run 390's which is a little rich for the PTO side but I'm stickin there for the mean time and premium gas with a gallon or two of race fuel and the problem seems to be solved at the moment. I have ridden it twice since the rebuild and It runs like a dream and No more bog! :face-icon-small-hap

Z
Apr 21, 2010
any carbon fiber reed kit will wear more quickly than a fiberglass or fiberglass and carbon combo.
Look for torn or broken tips and tips that don't lay flat against the cage.

montanagrizzly

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2010
Polson, MT
I'm runnin from 5 to 7000'. I am runnin' about 10% AV gas with about a half cup of two stroke added for a little extra lubricity! I have to change plugs about every 150-200 miles but thats ok cause Plugs are cheap. It ran real good this weekend. Didn't miss a beat. Ran in 2 to 3' of powder and had a blast!:face-icon-small-hap

what elevation you running?
if you our at 6000ft and under you need some 110 race fuel too 10%
unless your head is cut and the needle our changed.
my 2001 motor i ran 380/390 and race fuel at 12 degrees timing at 8250 rpm.
could not keep it cool with out some 110 in there, uesd 10%.

B
Ok ok!!! I finally had a chance to tear into it, the reeds looked good, as far as I can tell, no cracks, or rough edges. Sled has been sitting for awhile, couple weeks, and when it started, about 5 pulls, acted like it was flooded, kinda odd.

Another thing I noticed was alot of fuel in the reed cages.

And it does have a "boost bottle" on it, it was really loose, like the zip ties were really loose, pulled the bottle off with ease without cutting the ties!

Could that be part of the prob?

Fresh powder in the hills!!! Gotta get it running!!!

Oh and I run 3-5000 feet!

Z
Apr 21, 2010
Does make sense that the motor would run very different, like because of the venting(loose boost bottle) some of the psi was lost to suck the fuel pass the reeds in a efficient manner facilitating throttle response and power.
Mine runs nice, reaaal nice..
good luck!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Are you finding fuel in the case? You can drain it with the plugs on each cylinder. If that is the case, check your carbs again. The littliest of debris can cause the needle to hang open, dumping fuel in the case. That would be why it wouldn't start and run at low throttle very well. Open throttle the carb is wide open and that debris might not matter. I had a similar problem with a 700 RMK. Just a little piece of debris that I could barley see caused the problem.

B
ok guys... road today still runs like crap!!!!!!!

Only pulling about 7600 rpm acts like it is flooded every time I start it.

Just pulled the reeds, good, took apart, and cleaned carbs, good, All seems to be in check!

Z
Apr 21, 2010
Man thought you'd had it found.flat spot oring can let fuel leak past.
Compression check each cylinder and watch rise rate,both should go up just as fast as the other.
Just had to replace my throttle cable because of the line to the oil pump

Premium Features