• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07-11 M Steering Post / Bulkhead Crack

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
A
Dec 4, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Sold the 10 kits that were started last week, but have 10 more ready to go.

Thanks

Plan to have Steering Hoop brace by the end of the week.

Would you like the option of an ALU brace, instead of the Chrome-Moly?

U

Uller

Nov 26, 2007
Greater NW
Yes to Aluminum

I would bet the aluminum would be a little bit lighter which is good plus it would probably break easier in a hard hit situation (thinking this would kinda be like a "crumple zone")

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
How soon before you have a support brace built? I was going to build my own when I saw your thread. I would prefer no coating & keep the cost down, customer can pick there own color... Also I was going to do twin bars like a snopro to give side to side & front to rear support. I could care less on chromoly or aluminum both will weight about the same, for no more material that will be used. Shipping won't be bad.... for me:face-icon-small-hap

A
Dec 4, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Heading back to the shop to work on the hoop supports right now. Should have some pics later tonight. I don't think they really need anymore side to side support, the "A" style frame work that is in there now, does fairly well. The front to back, is the main focus. I can send them raw, just sand blasted, blasted and painted, or custom powder coated.

Oct 27, 2008
ttt

good job!!! ive been wondering how long till my m1000 breaks apart lol

Jason at the mod shop knows his s**T and is a great guy to work with i finally got my 09 tunnel kit put on my m thanks for the killer price

A
Dec 4, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Sorry, didn't get the hoop support done tonight. There is defiantly going to be a problem if you want to run the stock air box, it comes really close to the pipe and I have to leave some clearance over the pipe.

How many people want to be able to run this with the stock air box, if possible?
There isn't any M's in my shop with a stock air box, so not a big deal for me, but I will try to get it to fit if I need to.

A
Dec 4, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Here are some pics of the steering hoop supports. It looks the only way to run one of these with the stock air box, is to cut a notch out of the bottom of the ducting. It is just to tight over the pipe to leave clearance for the pipe to come out, or for the 1000 pipe (which we have not check the fit on yet), or for the stock pipe with the heat shield on it. The notch would not have to be very big and it would be almost completely closed off by the hoop support, as long as you cut the hole nice and tight.

Any way, let me know what you think.

IMAG0038.jpg IMAG0039.jpg IMAG0040.jpg IMAG0041.jpg

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Looks good Jason. You need me to bring my sled by to see it it fits with the stock air box?

Jason

A
Dec 4, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Only have a couple left until Tuesday or Wednesday. Will have 20 more ready then. Will have pricing figured out on the steering hoop support by then also.

Thanks for everyones input and purchases.

A
Dec 4, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Got all the pics for the installation instructions, to many to post right now. Will try and get them up with the text instruction to make the install as easy as possible. Sorry for the delay, they are not very hard to install. If any gets there kit and has any question, feel free to call or PM me anytime. Or you can an email me at jason@akmodshop.com

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Got my kit installed tonight, thanks Jason. Not hard to install but I did have to grind a notch in the front flat headed bolt or the post would rub on it. I think that it will be the perfect fix. My tunnel was already pushed down from the steering post with only 230 miles on it.

M

maddogs1965

Mar 17, 2010
Truckee Ca,
Here are some pics of the steering hoop supports. It looks the only way to run one of these with the stock air box, is to cut a notch out of the bottom of the ducting. It is just to tight over the pipe to leave clearance for the pipe to come out, or for the 1000 pipe (which we have not check the fit on yet), or for the stock pipe with the heat shield on it. The notch would not have to be very big and it would be almost completely closed off by the hoop support, as long as you cut the hole nice and tight.

Look's great:face-icon-small-coo Let me know if you get a chance to see if it fits on a M1000 with the stock pipe & heat shield!! I dont mind trimming the stock air box, nothing a good tube of silicone whont take care of to re seal, and what kind of material did you end up using?

I managed to fab up the plates for the bottom of the steering post, and i stepped up the bolts to a 3/8 instead of the piece of crap 1/4" bolt's that were stock, but since all these fricking storms have been kicking our ***, i haven't had the time to install them and put the sled back together:face-icon-small-sad

any price on the bar yet??

Looks great keep up the great work:usa:

M

maddogs1965

Mar 17, 2010
Truckee Ca,

So after reading Snowest, and looking at some cool sleds, i got all fired up to go into the garage and finish up my sled, that was until i got in the garage, and it was 18*, lets just say i got unfired up, and whent back in the house were it was warm, I didnt feel like firing up the heater or the fireplace in the garage:face-icon-small-sad
So anyway, i looked at my stock air box, and it has a 1" over hang, so that should be no big deal to trim to make the support bar fit, but my ECM is right smack dab in the middle of the air box, and both the plugs and all the wires are sticking past the end of the air box about 1/2". I know you said in your reply at the time you had no sleds with the stock air box's in your shop, so i was wondering if you have had a chance to see what you were going to do for all the wires and plugs in the fricking way? I guess i could just install the bar, and cut all them useless wires out of the way:face-icon-small-dis just joking!!! Then i would be saying, Sure does look good, to bad it doesnt run!:party: So i took a couple of pics to try and explain what i was looking at, i thought about moving the ECM, but i dont know if the wires would be long enough, and i have concerns of wires getting melted, or were i would move it too!! Oh the joys of modifacations!!

ECM001.jpg

ECM002.jpg

Last edited:
A
Dec 4, 2010
Anchorage, AK
The wires and plugs will rub the post a little, but they won't be an issue. The Heat shield on the other hand will also have to be notched or removed. We don't run these ether, because we run pre-mix and with the air box ducting removed, the under hood heat is no where near as bad.

Price is probably going to be $125 for the .049 or .058 Chome-moly, but I am going to make them in ALU, which will probably be $100-110, and I have a guy that can make them out of Ti, for the guys that want stupid light and don't care what it cost. Also going to have him make Ti steering linkage rods for the long one coming off the post.

The dude has a complete Ti rear suspension that he built him self, look kinda like the Timbersled and weighs on 28 pound total and its a 151 skid for a RT 1000 SD.

M

maddogs1965

Mar 17, 2010
Truckee Ca,
The wires and plugs will rub the post a little, but they won't be an issue. The Heat shield on the other hand will also have to be notched or removed. We don't run these ether, because we run pre-mix and with the air box ducting removed, the under hood heat is no where near as bad.

Price is probably going to be $125 for the .049 or .058 Chome-moly, but I am going to make them in ALU, which will probably be $100-110, and I have a guy that can make them out of Ti, for the guys that want stupid light and don't care what it cost. Also going to have him make Ti steering linkage rods for the long one coming off the post.

The dude has a complete Ti rear suspension that he built him self, look kinda like the Timbersled and weighs on 28 pound total and its a 151 skid for a RT 1000 SD.
Sounds good to me, Im not sure if i want to go ALU or Chrome Moly yet, I know i have bruised my ribs on the handle bars of my old 1M, probaly would have broke them with your steering brace! Mybe the ALU will be the way to go, mite act like a crumple zone and fold up instead of my ribs foldning up:face-icon-small-hap Let me know when you get the ALU one done, and i will purchase one from ya!!

And bye the way, i thouht i was a night owl , 2:25 AM REALLY???:party:

Premium Features