• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 rmk tunnel extension for 151

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
Looking into tunnel extensions and trying to figure out the options. I see slp, tracksusa, van amburgh, etc. Wondering if a edge extension would fit if I was to mount it behind the rear suspension mounts? I assume the tunnel width is the same. I searched for hours trying to see mods out there. If anyone has done this I would appreciate som input. I dont have running board coolers but i do have a under seat cooler.

F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
I had better things to spend the $120-140 so I made my own. This was to fit a 144" but don't see why it won't work for a 151.
The original 98 RMK has a 136, so it has a 6-8" extension already. I left the original on there and cut off the 1" tab that holds the snowflap. Purchased a piece of aluminum ($10). Bent and shaped a longer extension to slip over the original. The only welding was on the back 2 corners of the new one. (I have tools/welders at my disposal, so that's was free).
I extended the original bumper so it still bolts up to the original holes. Then massaged the plastic mouldings a bit. Strength and looks are as good or better than the original.
Hey, just an idea:D To me, it was part of the fun.

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
hmmm

I am in the process of putting a 151" under my XLT. I am going to attempt to build an extension that looks similar to the VE boondock tunnels. I have some 7075 bar stock that I will use for the sides and break a piece for the top. We'll see how it turns out....

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
done

Here it is, boondocker hillbilly special tunnel extension. It works pretty well, It trenches and keeps going. The shorter foot boards take some getting used to, but it is worth it.

93 XLT boondocker mod.jpg 12-28-09 Ride.jpg

Premium Features