• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Potential Edge aftermarket fab. products-new company seeking input.

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
Heard it a million times and that's not what this thread is about. I've had a buddy lose his pants in an avanlanche...you really think you can't lose your backpack in an avalanche as well?

Let's keep it on topic.

Those dimensions for the chromoly sound good, I think I'd want to shovel handle mounted to the side of the tunnel towards the back of the running board with the shovel head elevated near the gas rack, I think clamping a shovel into whatever clip you're going to use and holding it up to the sled would be the best way to decide.

i was just stating that the safer option. there is no 100% right on anything with avy.

i do like the idea of the front bumpers

the edge market is in need for parts :beer;

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Heck, why you are at it see if he'll let you build his chrome moly trailing arms for the edge too... I need some of those. :)

That is an awesome idea, theres always guys needing new holz arms. Would be a great feeling to know if I were to break an arm that there is a new replacement compared to repairing them! :D

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i was thinkin maybe make a kit that made the boards full width of like wher th foot wells are are for the first 2-3 ft then taper in, and have it have holes like better boards

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
A gas rack that also came with something to protect the coolant tubes once you remove the plastic sides on the back of the tunnel would be sweet.

The a-arms would be awesome though.

The whole bed replacement for the winter could be a hard one to sell, espically with the cost that would be involved with it. Not to mention that a lot of people barely have enough room to store the sleds let alone an extra bed somewhere year round. It could be a big headache getting the right plugs for lights, mounts for filler necks, frame configuerations, ect. If it had sliding sides though it would be pretty sweet.

Last edited:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Sled-guy
what does the chaincase-drop setup do? is this for better tunnel clearance? I actually had the holz stuff on the front when I got it but that stuff isn't as durable as stock. I could easily build my own trailing arms and rear swingarm like holz did. all I need is either the part I'm going to one-off or a Cad file from holz. anyone got contact info for him?
Thanks u guys are way more helpful than the offroad "bros"

The Holz chaincase is a machines set of plates that fit in the stock holes on the machine and allow you to cut new holes. It moves the shafts down 5/8" which keeps the top shaft above the tunnel but gives you enough clearance to run 2.4/2.5 tracks. It was a pretty inexpensive option that didn't require a bunch of hacking on the sled.

They made a kit for both the standard edge as well as the escape (different sized lower holes for the chaincase).

I believe the plates were just milled from a piece of alum with a CNC machine.

sled_guy

B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not sure an A-arm conversion for the edge is the ticket. First off the bulk head is not designed to take all of the forces of the A-arms. What performance is to be gained by the conversion? The trailing arms can be made lighter and stronger. I think by beefing up the chasis and adding A-arms you are going to end up adding weight. Nobody will by a product that adds weight....not a mountain rider. Check out CMX snomobiles, they still support the use of trailing arms because they are so strong and light. There has to be some kind of performance increace to change, not just because its different. What performance is to be gained going to A-arms? Now if you can figure it out all power to you. I just did a lot of upgrades to my edge this year because I still love the Edge chasis. But I could never imagine/Justify dumping $1000-1500 into a A-arm conversion that has not be professionally engineered and test proven that may compromise the strength of the chasis. Even if it turns out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, getting someone to spend $1000-$1500 on an outdated chasis for minimal performance gains would be few and far between. Why not just put your money into the newer IQ chasis I have seen 2007-2008 RMK 700's selling this year for $4500-$5000. Mabe a cool looking bumper would sell but It can't add any weight to the sled. I don't know if I would pay much over $100 for a bumper.

L

likinit2

Jul 4, 2004
S.W. Michigan
How about a shock tower brace kit similar to the pro-x
Front arm on the rear skids are getting hard to find (needs to be a stronger replacement)
A trailing arm w/optional rake for a more positive steering input.
light weight spindles

A shovel mount would be nice as well, I will still carry one in my back pack but it would be nice to have one for quick easy access.

I wouldn't have any use for an a-arm setup, I just got rid of a 08 M8. From my experience with that is more maintenance keeping the bushings fresh. Also the chassis would need more bracing. I think it would be more prone to bending the tunnel near the bulk head. Just my .02 but if you can build something that sells I am all about that as long as it works. I love my old edge and plan on riding it until I can't find parts to make it go.

I
Dec 1, 2009
Truckee, CA
again thanks for all the replies...Nothing will be what everyone needs, but fortunately there are a-lot of people with these machines and a few of them think like me. Let me explain why I think a-arms are worth the while

1-tuneability -like an RC car with multiple shock mount options, you can quickly adjust spring rate or up/down travel ratios, you would also be able to adjust your camber/caster

2-geometry-as you hit a rock with your carbide at a low speed and it grabs, the suspension compresses; thus pushing the ski forward into the object and buckling your trailing arm. on an a-armed sled the geometry is rearward during compression yielding to the object. A-arms also act more like a snowboard/skiis when carving while the trailing arms are fighting the action by creating a longer inside contact surface.

3-strength. Having gone thru several pairs of trailing arms I already bought an a-arm kit at 1K. A-arms are stronger.

4-serviceability, a-arm components are easier to remove/replace than stock edge suspension. I would not use bushings, I would use heims all around for tuning.

5-weight yes there could be up to a 5 lb gain in weight max.

Like stated before I have no idea if using the stock bulkhead is even a good idea. I'm considering a full tube-chassis that just recycles all the edge-rmk parts allowing the consumer to put together any number of setup combinations to either build a sicky-custom or recycle a bent machine...

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
Here's some more pictures of that a-arm sled. I talked to one of the owners of this sled and he said it handle fantastic. I'm willing to bet it won't add that much weight either. You build a kit and need someone to test one, I'll buy a prototype, I ride almost every weekend.
me016.jpg

me015.jpg

D

dragon68

Mar 27, 2008
Ohio>>>FLAT
I would be interested in the a-arm kit for sure! Being as I have a 04 ProXR in need of a front end, and I have a hard time finding good used arms and the cost for new ones are outrageous. For the kind of off-trail/trails I ride, Michigan, a-arms would be sweet! Keep us informed!

I
Dec 1, 2009
Truckee, CA
I am 100% down to prototype the a-arm conversion, I'm just not in a position to down my sled or invest too much dough right now. (recently moved) If one of you guys has a down/stripped sled to lend me for prototyping I will hook that person up with a kit for the cost of materials and consumables only!
I'm about to say screw it and use my sled anyway...If I had everything on hand I don't think this would take more than 1 month to desgn, cycle, redesign, test, and do an initial prototype run of 5 kits for testing, these would all be at a discount from the retail price as I would be seeking riders input and potential team-riders to help develop the products. These initial kits would definately be under 1k. Anyone interested in testing for me please PM

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
not sure why you guys want shovel on seld but i recommend having one on you all times

you will wish that you didn't have your shovel on your sled when your sled and a buddy is barried in avy

just a heads up :beer;

the way I look at it is if my shovel is on my sled and I get caught in a avalanche then someone can use my shovel and probe to find me:D

I
Dec 1, 2009
Truckee, CA
There are so many scenarios on that one, If u and the sled get buried all your gear is gone anyway you look at it. just don't ride alone, wear a peep, and make sure your friends know how to use theirs and have all the basics. Most people just don't practice using their peeps in areas they would have to in an emergency so they aren't fully prepared.

back to the topic at hand...

anyone know what material the IQ arms are made of (size, thickness, alloy)? I'm basically going to try to mimic the IQ geometry and was thinking IQ spindles would b legit because some edge owners also have IQs so the spare parts would be universal for loyal polaris guys ;)
thanks for all the help. keep the input rolling!

Last edited:
I
Dec 1, 2009
Truckee, CA
Game-on for the Holz-edge stuff!

I just talked to mark holz-way nice and insightful guy. He gave me the green light to pick up the trailing arm and rear suspension market for the edge chassis. So if any of u have the holz stuff laying around, I would like to borrow some so I can make replacement prototypes...PM plz.
They won't be identical, but they will function the same or better.

Premium Features