• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best ski/03 Summit 700?

M

mannix

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2008
Hey all - getting ready for my second season as a snowmobiler. I bought two last year to use as ski lifts; overall, it was a very good year. Learned a lot, but a lot more to learn. I left the sleds alone last year, beyond maintenance, just to figure a few things out.

The 700 is the "primary" sled; I also bought a 99 670x for a backup. My only complaint about the 700 is simple - floatation/lack thereof.

Current plan is to put a 144x16" track on it (any Denver people have one for sale? PM me/bring it to the show - I'll be packing cash) and possibly wider skis. It trenches too easily as it sits, particularly when towing a skier. Part of that is certainly rider error - I suck at riding this contraption; I put it in the hands of a frequent poster here, let's just say that the sled is WAY more capable than me;). I think the wider track will help.

What's the best ski to get the thing up on top of the snow as quickly as possible? I don't care about groomed performance. I'd like it to handle well in deep snow, but it seems like a wide ski would compliment that.

Powder Plus? A stock Skidoo ski off a Rev/XP/??? I'm guessing that there's some personal preference going on there, but I figured I'd ask here, see what the masses think.

Thanks!

Iain

B
May 20, 2008
Newfoundland
I personally really like the SlyDog skis I put on my 2002 Renegade. I've only got the trail model, but they've got great flotation in deep snow. Ended up testing them in about 3-4 feet of powder this year and they had no problems staying on top (my 1.25" lug on the other hand had problems...). I like the way they handle, and I'm sure their Powderhound skis (their wider ones) are even better in deep snow.

K
Sep 21, 2001
I would get a set of simmons, they are the best all around ski! The others have their nitches, dont work in all of the conditions. I have tested almost every brand!

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
like my PowderPros.
What about the flotation with Simmons?
Pilot 6.9 takeoffs would be a good deal also.

Premium Features