• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question for mountain riders from a flatlander

S
Jan 11, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I spend a lot of time reading posts on this site. Have learned lots. Haven't posted much over the years. Im from northern Ontario and we don't have anything close to what you folks have in the mountains. That said, this past weekend we had tons of snow here for a change. I spent most of my time in deep snow and climbed as many hills as I could. Sled was operated with lots of throttle. Something that you guys in the Montaigne do all the time I burned about a tank and a half of fuel on my 17 switchback assault. Used up almost 2 litres of oil. That puts me around 35:1. Does that seem reasonable? In the mountains I would assume your always using lots of throttle compared to trail riding. I'm aware that more oil is used with more throttle. Just wondering if what I'm using is normal. Thanks.

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
On the gas hard, they use more oil and gas. Be glad they do ,it will make your motor last longer.

Mountain riding puts a lot more stress on your sled. I can get 11+ MPG on the trail with a 155 2.6 powder track. Powder/full throttle can bring it down to 6 or less.
I fill my oil after every ride, and rarely check ratio of oil to gas, but your oil usage seems good.

Last edited:

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Thats great you are at 35:1. Some of the older PRO ride chassis 800s were coming out of the factory around 90:1. I had one. Turned that oil pump up after the first ride. Those were the engines that kept blowing up. Very inconsisent too, as my friend had the same exact sled and his used 45-50:1

Premium Features