• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski width adjustment

L
Feb 7, 2019
Hi guys,
This evening i tried to adjust the ski width from narrowest to middle (2019 M8000 SP). No problem getting the bolt out.

When adjusting the stance to 1-1, or 0-2 (widest) for that matter, i could not get the bolt back on.
What is the trick?
The black rubber thing, does it need to be relocated? Tried to put it in some different positions.
Felt really stupid because it seems like it should be easy..

Also, do i need to adjust the ski in some other way after the widening?

Thanks,
Lavskrikan

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
You need to pry on the ski from the side and compress the rubber to get the bolt hole to line back up. The ski rubbers are normally compressed between the spindle and the ski bottom.

GBrown

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Start the bolt on the outer side of the ski then slide a 2x4 on edge under the ski on the inside of the keel. The weight of the sled on the 2x4 should compress the rubber on the inner side to then be able push the bolt all the way through.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
To answer your other question, no, you don’t need to do anything else after getting the bolt back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenacious84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 19, 2010
Start the bolt on the outer side of the ski then slide a 2x4 on edge under the ski on the inside of the keel. The weight of the sled on the 2x4 should compress the rubber on the inner side to then be able push the bolt all the way through.

I had to do this as well as push down on the a-arms while my wife lightly tapped the bolt through with a hammer. I was beside myself how difficult it was to install and not happy that I couldn't do it myself by simply using a 2x4.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
You need to flip the rubber one side has a raised edge the other doesn’t you will see once you loo. And a rubber Mallet and the bolt will go right in.

L
Feb 7, 2019
You need to flip the rubber one side has a raised edge the other doesn’t you will see once you loo. And a rubber Mallet and the bolt will go right in.

Yeah, i noticed that.
What if you go 1-1, that is one spacer on each side, "middle position" so to speak? Is it harder to get in place than if you have both spacers on one side?

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
When adjusting ski stance on my fathers mountain cat I couldn't believe how much of a PITA it was to get that bolt back through

L
Feb 7, 2019
Got it done yesterday.
I found it easier when i tipped the sled on the side, might have been the better work position, i dont know. So now the skis are at the widest stance.

Thanks for all the input. And yeah, i used a hammer, but not so much force was needed.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I know you said you got it, I thought I would add to the possible ways to do it since it wont be your last. I have to change the dampers a couple times a year. It never gets easier.
But, what I find to be easiest is starting the bolt in from the outside. Then getting a slightly smaller bolt or punch going in the inside bolt hole of the ski. You sort of have to pry up on the ski with it to get it to go in. I then take a 2 x 2 piece of wood and pry up on the inside of the ski. When it seems the outside bolt and inside punch are parallel, I rubber mallet the outside bolt and it sort of follows the inside bolt through and out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Premium Features