• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CR500 Budget build and all things Cr500

M
Jan 14, 2004
I think my next mod will be a tunnel cooler set up. I have lots of extrusion here to build one I just need to get off my a$$ and do it.

M5

J
Dec 27, 2010
Heber utah
It's gonna happen tomorrow! The winning combo for chain length is 14t 67/16t setup. That's using a half link (not sure how I feel about this still)

I bought a 17T jackshaft sprocket from good ol M5 that'll be here next week. I'm thinking I'd rather use a 13t 67/17t setup instead of what'll be on there for tomorrow.

I CAN'T WAIT!!

The only thing I've done to the bike is nord-lock all engine mount bolts and I'll go do some exhaust bolts right now before I go to bed.

No carb heater yet - it's gonna be 70 degrees tomorrow in town so it'll be in the 40-50's in the mtn. And the snow is melting fast.

I have lots of little ideas I want to do to it, but I'll just do it all next fall. For now I just want to get it wet!

IMG_0423.jpg

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
It's gonna happen tomorrow! The winning combo for chain length is 14t 67/16t setup. That's using a half link (not sure how I feel about this still)

I bought a 17T jackshaft sprocket from good ol M5 that'll be here next week. I'm thinking I'd rather use a 13t 67/17t setup instead of what'll be on there for tomorrow.

I CAN'T WAIT!!

The only thing I've done to the bike is nord-lock all engine mount bolts and I'll go do some exhaust bolts right now before I go to bed.

No carb heater yet - it's gonna be 70 degrees tomorrow in town so it'll be in the 40-50's in the mtn. And the snow is melting fast.

I have lots of little ideas I want to do to it, but I'll just do it all next fall. For now I just want to get it wet!

Can't wait for the cr500 videos, looks awesome already.

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
Hunting pow this weekend on the cr , video edit will come in the next week or so , was just waiting on a bit more footage to finish it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J
Dec 27, 2010
Heber utah
Definitely no pow left in Utah. Might have been my one and only ride on the 500 this year yesterday but it was a blast. Video to come.

So all I did to this thing was strap it to the bike and ride. No carb heater. No nothing but some nord-locks on the engine mount bolts.

It was a warm day, very hard pack snow everywhere except just a few spots in the timber. Temps probably got close to 200 a few times but never boiled over.

Ski bolt came loose once. Front number plate bolt rattled away. Chain stretched itself to where it was rubbing my track. So I can go ahead and use the 15t front sprocket now. ;-) Or put the 17t jackshaft sprocket on (in the mail).

Geared at 14-67/16 (half link to get 67) 1st gear was almost lame, never used it. 2nd and 3rd most everywhere in the tight stuff. The half link held!! But I still don't like it. Hey, maybe I stretched the chain enough I could go back to 13t w/o the half link?? But that's slower...

Next winter I'm not going to worry about a cooler at all - I don't ride hard pack enough to worry about it over heating I think. My biggest problem is going to be carb freezing cause I'm usually in powder and cold temps.

Me and wwillf01 rode together. His super modded CR definitely has some mo-jo! In a drag race, my stock CR on the SX only beat him by about 2 bike lengths (video to come). But I think that's saying a lot for him pulling his LT kit. That's a much bigger kit to pack around and for him to basically stick right with me on my "easy to pull around" track, that's pretty good.

Anyways, that's all I have for now. Had a blast, wish the winter wasn't so cruddy this year.

Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 5.30.20 PM.png.jpeg Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 5.09.49 PM.png.jpeg Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 5.32.34 PM.png.jpeg

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Definitely no pow left in Utah. Might have been my one and only ride on the 500 this year yesterday but it was a blast. Video to come.

So all I did to this thing was strap it to the bike and ride. No carb heater. No nothing but some nord-locks on the engine mount bolts.

It was a warm day, very hard pack snow everywhere except just a few spots in the timber. Temps probably got close to 200 a few times but never boiled over.

Ski bolt came loose once. Front number plate bolt rattled away. Chain stretched itself to where it was rubbing my track. So I can go ahead and use the 15t front sprocket now. ;-) Or put the 17t jackshaft sprocket on (in the mail).

Geared at 14-67/16 (half link to get 67) 1st gear was almost lame, never used it. 2nd and 3rd most everywhere in the tight stuff. The half link held!! But I still don't like it. Hey, maybe I stretched the chain enough I could go back to 13t w/o the half link?? But that's slower...

Next winter I'm not going to worry about a cooler at all - I don't ride hard pack enough to worry about it over heating I think. My biggest problem is going to be carb freezing cause I'm usually in powder and cold temps.

Me and wwillf01 rode together. His super modded CR definitely has some mo-jo! In a drag race, my stock CR on the SX only beat him by about 2 bike lengths (video to come). But I think that's saying a lot for him pulling his LT kit. That's a much bigger kit to pack around and for him to basically stick right with me on my "easy to pull around" track, that's pretty good.

Anyways, that's all I have for now. Had a blast, wish the winter wasn't so cruddy this year.

Let me add I have at least 80 pounds on Jethro450 and a lower skill level;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
Video edit is up on "sons of stave " Facebook page. would have had more 500 footage but my go pro died quick day 1 and the bike blew up on the trail up for day 2 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I know the smart carb isn't really low budget, but are people having luck with it on the 500 or is this pulse setup better? Looks like you guys are having fun on them!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I know the smart carb isn't really low budget, but are people having luck with it on the 500 or is this pulse setup better? Looks like you guys are having fun on them!

For myself the last few rides mine got dialed in... I ended up with the richest q5 rod... even at 60 degrees it was ripping... keep in mind mine was ported for 100 octane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Here is a Nik cylinder that Adam Millar does for the CR500. Some asked about it.

2012-11-21T13-19-16_1.jpg

IMG_7682.JPG

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
If you take care of a Nik cyl it will last you a long time. My Nik guy has cyls from years and years ago that look new. My KTMs go 5 years with a light hone and new top end lol (way too long ha ha). Only downside is initial cost for me on the 500.

Last edited:
S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
If you take care of a Nik cyl it will last you a long time. My Nik guy has cyls from years and years ago that look new. My KTMs go 5 years with a light hone and new top end lol (way too long ha ha). Only downside is initial cost for me on the 500.

Yeah, but to be honest I bought the bike, within I believe two rides I realized it had an issue and rebuilt it. I think that is how I got a two year old machine with motor work and add ons for well under 3k. Anyways resleeved it and it lasted over a decade on a non nikasil sleeve, actually it has been longer but I know there is an issue it just hasn't been ridden since 2010 and I resleeved it in 97. I don't doubt nikasil is superior, just would like to be able to bore it. If everything goes fine with my current project I want to restore that bike or take that motor into something else, still the quickest 250 I have ever ridden to date.

Premium Features