• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Theres a new Sherrif in town... Timbersled's new SnowBike Kit

E
Dec 6, 2007
I have been riding snowhawks for the last 5 years, we have worked our butts off trying to let the world know about how single ski rule. I have yet to ride a conversion kit that make me want to get rid of my hawk..... just glad to see that our hard work is starting to pay off. Snowmobiles only dream about the places we ride...... Single ski's rule!

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
I can see maybe why you would want to turbo one for grins as I love my turbo sled but in all honesty I don't think I am going to turbo one the Timbersled units as it's a hoot to ride in stock trim and your in such tight almost single track like areas that your not into the throttle as much as one would think.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
out of curiousities sake, anyone run these things on something like a yz250. Wondering how the 2 strokes would like these or not.

F

FrozenMOTO

Jul 21, 2010
Moscow, Idaho
out of curiousities sake, anyone run these things on something like a yz250. Wondering how the 2 strokes would like these or not.

Not nearly as well. If you see the other post I have been working on a snowbike kit for the last 6 years and have tried MANY prototypes. The problem is they have little torque so its hard get it spinning all the time. If you were shooting down a straight it would do fine but the on/off kills the 2 stroke. Even the big cr 500's dont do as good as a modern 450.

Two stroke sleds have many cylinders and pistons which increases they torque. Single cylinder two strokes usually have less than a 250f.

Its a little hard to explain but true.

Now I'm not saying it wont work but its just not IDEAL.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I hear ya. I'm starting to look at bikes and just exploring options. Will likely end up with a 4 stroke, just not sure what yet, but I'm thinking orange. We'll see.

F

FrozenMOTO

Jul 21, 2010
Moscow, Idaho
Ya look around you might find some leftovers. My weapon of choice right now is a 2010 450sxf. I found it in alabama with one ride on it for $5400. One of those to good to be true deals. The guy got a free bike from Honda so he just wanted it gone.

He even threw in a fmf pipe and a bunch of parts he had bought for it as well as it had 1500 in suspension done. I was pretty sure I was getting scammed until it came in(had to have it shipped to Idaho).

If you look around you might find a nice barely used newer model. Or you can just buy it new and pick from any bike you want!:D

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Not nearly as well. If you see the other post I have been working on a snowbike kit for the last 6 years and have tried MANY prototypes. The problem is they have little torque so its hard get it spinning all the time. If you were shooting down a straight it would do fine but the on/off kills the 2 stroke. Even the big cr 500's dont do as good as a modern 450.

Two stroke sleds have many cylinders and pistons which increases they torque. Single cylinder two strokes usually have less than a 250f.

Its a little hard to explain but true.

Now I'm not saying it wont work but its just not IDEAL.

I would think that keeping a 2 stroke in the pipe all the time would be very hard... can you say fouled plug?

F

FrozenMOTO

Jul 21, 2010
Moscow, Idaho
Yes and would wear them out VERY quickly in most cases. The 4 strokes can lug around and not be wide open much. The biggest problem is all the track and drive train components. I track on a timbersled must weight 35lbs or so. Plus it takes more torque to get it to go around the idlers and drivers. And the weight of the jack shaft and driver shaft. It all ads up to a lot more turning weight and resistance which takes more torque not horsepower. So if you dont want to be wide open all the time a 2stroke is not ideal.

Of course if you were just trail ridding then it would not matter to much.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Yea, it would be off trail quite a bit. I don't think I would really consider a kit if I rode all on trail as I think the sled has it in that department hands down.

F

FrozenMOTO

Jul 21, 2010
Moscow, Idaho
Yea, it would be off trail quite a bit. I don't think I would really consider a kit if I rode all on trail as I think the sled has it in that department hands down.

Hmmm, I really want to get out kit out so I can prove that this is not the case. This is actually were these kits have the MOST potential to shine. For the rough trails that are all whooped out a dirt bike has WAY more and much better suspension than a snowmobile CAN have. Its just the way a bike is setup. I agree that the current kits dont really accomplish much for the trails but our kit was engineered for both. We have loads of suspension yet still managed to put alot of track down for the deeper snow. Also the unique suspension we use makes are kits work VERY well in rough and hard snow like you would see on the trail.

In other words a snowmobile on the trail vs our snow bike is like comparing a racing ATV to a dirt bike.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
THROW-BACK THURSDAYS

TBT

WOW. Almost 5 years down the line.

How times are a changing!!

02-11-2010, 09:04 PM

I've just spend the last week with Allen/Timbersled on their new snowbike prototype..

Impressive to say the least... Troy Johnson of Lincoln County Customs couldn't get enough.

2 feet of fresh sugar-pow... Alpine Wyo... out riding with Dan Adams and the boys from LCC!!

(stock '07 YZ-450F):thumb::peace:

2-15.jpg

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
haha

yeah some things have but others havent! you still dont hear anything about the frozen moto"s. wish that wasnt the case with all the other makers of bike kits, come on and step it up!!

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
Frozen Motos comments are like comedy . 500 2 stroke has less jam than a 450..... And the trail is where they are gona shine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features