• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 rmk 800 bottom end hesitation and bog please help!!

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
Larger pilot will add more fuel at idle/throttle tip in. Did you try opening up the fuel screws yet? Call CPI and ask them what they recommend for jetting. Are you staggering the jetting? Found a note on CPI's website, they recommend going up 4 sizes from stock 0-3000ft, 400/410 4-6000ft, key in regular setting.

P
Feb 24, 2014
AB
No I haven't taken it out yet it has been -35 here .. if cpi said 4 above stock would mean that I need a 460 jet which has not come in yet... ill have to wait my biggest is 430....... jets should be arriving tomorrow !!

P
Feb 24, 2014
AB
So I took it out yesterday and got it tuned in moving the screws around and now she runs perfect THANKS GUYS !!!! ....... So the next day I went in the garage and there was a big puddle under my sled..... yep it was chain case oil !!!!!!!!! :mad2: bolt came out of the big sprocket and cracked the case **** :mad2::mad2:

F
Feb 14, 2012
Just to give you another opinion on the altitude and temperature controller you have. I put one on two years ago and love it. If some are failing after a couple years I have not had that experience.

But to get to the point you should go on the website and print out their instructions. You need to jet for your Base altitude at which ever of the three base temp settings it is set to. Now here is the problem, you have no way of telling what it is set to. There is a tiny Allen screw inside the valve.

To jet properly I feel you should understand what it is doing (or should be). All it does is pull a low pressure(vacc) on you carb vents, it gets this vacc from the top of one of your carbs, you can follow that hose to the valve, then to a t and the vent lines of your carbs.

This valve is operated by a pressure difference in between the outside air and the little white round chamber (has tiny clear blue hose going from it to the valve). Now you go up in altitude the pressure in this little guy will stay the same, but the outside pressure will drop and the difference in the two will open the valve a proportional amount pulling a vacc on the varb vents and leaning you to the proper jetting. Also if the temp drops while you are out there the pressure difference will be less and pull less vacc allowing more fuel to enter. But if you let the sled sit and the chamber warms up from engine heat you will be lean until you let cool air go past the chamber to cool it back down.

Now you need to jet your sled for your base altitude, (your garage) and it will lean it out for you as you climb. I store my sled at only 800ft above sea level, I have the biggest jets I have 490/480 in there (slp twin pipes) I have been up to 7000 feet with no trouble, before that was atleast 3 jet changes. If you disconnect the tiny blue hose from the chamber and reconnect it, now that is your base altitude, you would have to jet for there, and it Will not richen up below that altitude. You would have to go back down to your base altitude and open/reconnect the hose. Also it says after a few weeks at an altitude it will normalize with the altitude it's in. I have been on a 5 day trip with mine at higher altitude, and have had no issue.

The atacc does lean out the entire carb to don't forget. So your idle circiut will be leaner as well.
Keep moisture out of it and you should be fine.

Clear as mud? If not let me know

F
Feb 14, 2012
You can't. Unless you know the guy who installed it. It comes in the middle setting whichever that temp is I forget. If it was me i'd shoot for that setting.

I just wanted you to understand how it works if it messes up on you up the mountain you should understand how it works so you can get home.

I keep small jets on me and then I can unplug the vent tubes, and just run regular jetting.

Did you get a new chaincase cover?

P
Feb 24, 2014
AB
Ok thanks for the info !!! so I went to there site and read all about it, I think I have kind of figured it out ... yes it came in yesterday and installing it tonight ..:face-icon-small-con

Premium Features